Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OK, but again, I am still wondering, who gets the delivery charge?
The company. Everything on the bill goes to the company. Whatever you add, goes to the driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
For me $5 is easy because no matter what we order (with three kids and different eating habits and sometimes friends we may have several pizzas), it's a perfectly fine tip and I don't have to think about it. I don't really get tipping based on the total bill anyway. In a restaurant the waiter will be going back and forth, filling drinks, bringing napkins and condiments, and the bigger the party the more work there is. A bigger pizza order doesn't take any longer to deliver or carry to my door.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Just flip 'em two bits and close the door.
Be careful how you treat the person who handles your food.
Pizza drivers have great memory and they know who's a cheapskate and who's generous. Treat your delivery guy/girl bad and ya never know what additional topping you may get on your next order. Free of charge or course.

These people are putting miles on their car, using their gas, dealing with time limits, they don't need a cheapskate to flip em two bits and close the door.
Good weather I tip no less than $5.00 if weather is bad I give up to $12-15. If it's the holidays I give them a $20.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I would never NOT tip for delivery. I just don't see the need for a tip way over the fine dining norm for delivery pizza.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Be careful how you treat the person who handles your food.
Pizza drivers have great memory and they know who's a cheapskate and who's generous. Treat your delivery guy/girl bad and ya never know what additional topping you may get on your next order. Free of charge or course.

I absolutely hope not! Even on my worst days as a pizza delivery driver I wouldn't dream of doing something so disgusting. Not even to a customer who once swore at me etc.... and I had to go back again the next week.

Funny, there are a few American people who lived in the town I delivered, and they always tipped much better than British people. Most Brits will not tip at all. There was one I remember who always said "oh I'm sorry, I didn't have any money with me, couldn't find any but I'll tip you next time". He was a regular customer and the next time I went back there he would say the same thing again, and again LOL.

Some nights on the job you got lucky, sometimes you didn't, depends on who you delivered to really. We had horrible managers at my place, they used to accuse me of bringing my own money to look like I'd got lots of tips (when I actually had) sometimes, when cashing out at the end of the night, because they were bitter horrible people. Glad I don't work for that company which will not be named any more...

Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Domino's Pizza delivery drivers certified as a class in lawsuit over tips
By Gregory Pratt Tue., Nov. 15 2011 at 12:29 PM

United States District Court Judge Donovan W. Frank ruled yesterday that "all persons who worked as Domino's Pizza, LLC, delivery drivers in Minnesota from March 6, 2006, through February 28, 2010," are certified members of the class-action lawsuit.

The judge's order notes that Domino's "began placing a written notice on its twelve and fourteen-inch pizza boxes that stated: 'Any Delivery Charge is not a tip paid to your driver. Please reward your driver for awesomeness'" in December 2009 and added similar language to its website in February 2010.
Domino's Pizza delivery drivers certified as a class in lawsuit over tips

Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Some women just like to flash the pizza delivery guy as tip.....but i guess $2 is good enough.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM

Here is an idea of just how bad a pizza delivery job can be.

Quote:
Domino's drivers take pay complaints to court
Tags: Delivery, Domino's Pizza, Operations Management, Public Companies
April 28, 2009 - Richard Slawsky

Suit could affect drivers, franchisees around the county

Delivery drivers generally are paid in a combination of an hourly wage, a mileage reimbursement and tips, which can add up to $10 an hour or more. Out of that, though, drivers pay for their own gasoline, car maintenance and insurance. The mileage reimbursement, or "run money," paid to drivers varies from store to store, even within pizzeria brands. Reimbursements generally range from 75 cents to $1.25 per delivery, depending on the operation.

Also, some operators have begun paying delivery drivers via a "tip credit" system similar to the way restaurant servers are paid. In those cases, drivers are paid less than the current federal minimum wage of $6.55 while they are on deliveries, with tip earnings credited as making up the difference.
Quote:
"Randy," a former Domino's delivery driver from Texas who isn't party to the suit, described the issue in this fashion:

"Last summer I worked for a Dominos franchise, making $5.15 hour via the tip credit, and $1.15 per drop," he said. "Problem was, Dominos delivery area is huge. In one direction we went 10 miles to a nearby town.Sometimes I'd take a single run out there and be presented with a check for the exact price of the order."

When that happened, Randy said, he would miss out on the opportunity to take several deliveries during that time period, drive 20 miles round-trip in a car averaging 22 miles per gallon, and still be "credited" with a tip of $1.40 to meet the federal minimum wage of $6.55. All this at a time when gas cost $4 a gallon. Randy estimated that he averaged $7.50 per hour after gas expenses, but before subtracting maintenance costs and taxes.
Domino's drivers take pay complaints to court | PizzaMarketPlace.com

Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I always give $5, more if the weather is bad. The drivers don't get any of the delivery fee.
Agreed. Minimum of $3 but 4 or 5$ is a decent tip.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
Our pizza order is usually between $25 and $30, so I'll tip between $5 and $6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink