Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't order out for the reason I know what gas costs as well as other wear and tear on a delivery vehicle. I would rather spend $1.50 of my own money in gas than give another the price of a gallon; especially when it's less than a mile away. That is how it should be viewed.
Going out only to drive less than a mile on your own vehicle can be bad (condensation build-up doesn't get a chance to evaporate). You should run it up to temp (actual driving) and sometimes that takes 10 minutes at the very least. Also if you do this frequently it is bad for your battery. You probably don't do it frequently but if you cherish your vehicle, better theirs than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Having worked pizza delivery before, I also have to agree that it doesn't matter how much your order is as much as how far you are from the pizza joint as well as how the weather is. You live 2 doors down and its a nice day? $2 or $3 is decent. Live 10 miles away and its blowing snow everywhere? $5 or $6 please. However in the experience I had, it was actually the opposite that happened... The guy 1 block down would give me $6 as a tip, the guy who I had to drive 15 minutes through the snow to get to, he would be the one to give me the $1. It all ended up balancing itself out in the end because the closer people would give the bigger tip, so on a normal night I couldn't complain.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
If it's a group between 2 and 5 people who order, how would the tip be divided up with that amount of people?
Anyone know? I haven't seen any other post talk about this. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 AM

452 posts, read 709,831 times
I tip $1 per mile the delivery driver's travel. The old pizza place was 3 miles away, the new one is 5, but with the price of gas and knowing they don't make more than minimum wage, I try to at least pay for their gas...

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Anyone know? I haven't seen any other post talk about this. Thanks.
It's no different than splitting any other check. Divide it up and each person throws in an extra buck or two, depending.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I always tip $5 for a delivery, be it Chinese, pizza, sushi, whatever. That's the least I would expect someone to pay me for the convenience of dropping off their meal to their front door. Even if it's just a $12 pizza, or $20 of Chinese food, the driver is getting $5.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How do you know they are struggling? A tip is not charity as someone else said. I work at Subway I am 43 and a tip to me is not charity but rather a nice gesture that says you did a great job making my sandwich and I appreciate you.
Exactly. Treating people who choose, for whatever reason, to work in fields that are tip-dependent (be they unskilled for other fields, students who need the flexible schedule, educated professionals working second jobs for the short-term, etc.) like they are panhandlers and need your charity is really pretty condescending. A tip is an extra thank-you for services rendered, above and beyond the stated cost, not an act of benevolent charity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs
Live 10 miles away and its blowing snow everywhere? $5 or $6 please
Personally, if it's blowing snow, the last thing in the world I'm gonna do is request that somebody drive a pizza ten miles to me. If it's too crappy of weather for me to want to go pick up some food, it's too crappy to endanger somebody else by having them deliver my food. The tip's not gonna be the conscientious thing I do, choosing not to put somebody on crappy roads in inclement weather so I can eat pizza I didn't have to make myself is.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Default Pizza tip

We ordered pizza last night from one of the big national chains. When the delivery guy brought it ...and he was fast!..I asked him about the tip situation. He said most people give $2 or $3 on a single pizza. The delivery charge that was tacked on to the price by the chain ($2) is not given to the drivers.

My pizza cost $12 including the chain's delivery fee. I gave the driver $3.50. That is over 20% I do not think that is terribly cheap of me. By the way, the restaurant is 2 miles from us and the weather was clear and dry.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
We ordered pizza last night from one of the big national chains. When the delivery guy brought it ...and he was fast!..I asked him about the tip situation. He said most people give $2 or $3 on a single pizza. The delivery charge that was tacked on to the price by the chain ($2) is not given to the drivers.

My pizza cost $12 including the chain's delivery fee. I gave the driver $3.50. That is over 20% I do not think that is terribly cheap of me. By the way, the restaurant is 2 miles from us and the weather was clear and dry.
That tip is perfectly fine. I doubt too many here will disagree.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Personally, if it's blowing snow, the last thing in the world I'm gonna do is request that somebody drive a pizza ten miles to me. If it's too crappy of weather for me to want to go pick up some food, it's too crappy to endanger somebody else by having them deliver my food. The tip's not gonna be the conscientious thing I do, choosing not to put somebody on crappy roads in inclement weather so I can eat pizza I didn't have to make myself is.
Honestly it would have been nice if more people were like you, there were some nights where the roads were horrible and I was lucky to have a car that did okay in the snow, but I would much rather have just sat in the pizza joint and washed dishes than go out on the roads to give someone a pizza. And those nights were usually full of the $1 tippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink