Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out when all recipes started beginning with"boneless, skinless chicken breasts". Ugh. I think that was probably in the 80s. Not a fan. I'm glad to see chicken thighs being used more widely (I've always used them).

I remember when you were considered uncivilized to use oil-packed tuna (also the 80s, I believe). I think there was some kind of low fat mania/fat phobia back then I always use tuna in olive oil--it's finally more widely available. The good tuna ventresca has always been in oil. Ever try to make tuna salad with that water-packed crud? You'll never get it to emulsify properly--ever hear of oil & water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I remember milk being either whole or skim. My grandmother drank skim, and I always wondered why anyone would drink gray milk! Or any milk, really, because I never liked milk (except the fresh milk from our cousin's cow).

Soda was made with sugar, and a real Coke was a treat rather than an everyday thing.

Tuna in oil was much better. Tuna in water became a big thing in the 80's, like diet soda (Tab, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Light, diet Coke). And then ZOMG caffeine BAD, so Pepsi Free, CF diet Coke, etc.

McDonald's fries in beef tallow were the best! They should go back to that. The fries are just not as good anymore.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
I think most of the foods back then are still available, other than the milk - we ate more simply. There's a hugely greater variety now.

It's just that most people are now cutting down on some of the fatty foods we used to eat then ...... it's still possible to have those foods, though some like T-bone steak are much more expensive now. At the moment all I can remember is grilled steak topped with fried onions and mushrooms, heavily buttered mashed potatoes ...... that was commonplace back then, rather than a rare treat like now. I'm thinking of that while I'm cooking some "healthy" rice and chicken slop.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I'm still trying to figure out when all recipes started beginning with"boneless, skinless chicken breasts". Ugh. I think that was probably in the 80s. Not a fan. I'm glad to see chicken thighs being used more widely (I've always used them).

I remember when you were considered uncivilized to use oil-packed tuna (also the 80s, I believe). I think there was some kind of low fat mania/fat phobia back then I always use tuna in olive oil--it's finally more widely available. The good tuna ventresca has always been in oil. Ever try to make tuna salad with that water-packed crud? You'll never get it to emulsify properly--ever hear of oil & water?
Yes on the boneless, skinless, chicken breasts! That's something that hasn't been around long.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes on the boneless, skinless, chicken breasts! That's something that hasn't been around long.
That's true; I've never been a fan of white meat. Well, except for wings, but that might have to do with the fact that they have a high proportion of breading. Seriously, the best meat is juicy, and breast meat dries out very easily. Also, the skin is the best part.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's true; I've never been a fan of white meat. Well, except for wings, but that might have to do with the fact that they have a high proportion of breading. Seriously, the best meat is juicy, and breast meat dries out very easily. Also, the skin is the best part.
I love the thighs with the leg attached. Juicy.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I love the thighs with the leg attached. Juicy.
Yes! We use leg quarters a lot here. And if the back is still attached, I save those in the freezer to make stock.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:56 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's why they tasted so good.

In the 1960s, my mom sweetened her tea with sodium cyclamate, either in a liquid or in teeny little tablets. Saccharine has been around longer than that. We drank Diet Rite Cola and Fresca, and Funny Face drink mixes also had cyclamates in them. When cyclamate disappeared from the market in 1970, Mom used powdered Sugar Twin and she made Funny Face for us with sugar.

The bread you're thinking of may be Hollywood bread. 40 calories a slice. I don't know what was in it, sawdust maybe.
Hmmm, I never knew about those sweeteners back in those days. I do remember Sugar Twin though. We very seldom drank soda and if we did it was ginger ale or Coke. Never heard of Funny Face. My younger sisters had cool aid--it was horrible and it came in neon colors. I'm glad I was almost grown up by then. We drank Zarex ?? for a little while. It was a syrup that you mixed with water. It tasted only slightly better than cool aid. An at home drink treat would be chocolate milk made with Bosco.

A well balanced meal (judging from my mother's old cookbooks) was something like meatloaf, mashed potato, canned green beans, and boiled carrots. With those bisquits in a tube that you slammed against the counter top to make them explode open. (What on earth were they??) And piles of butter on everything. Meat always had gravy. Whole milk with every meal and with cookies after school. We ALWAYS had bisquits or muffins or banana bread--all the time, or maybe just plain bread and butter with every meal. That's something you don't have with every meal today. Made with whole milk--not rice milk!

HOLLYWOOD Bread. I think that was it.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Never heard of Funny Face. My younger sisters had cool aid
It was Pillsbury's version of Kool Aid, but included cyclamate until it was banned in 1970. Afterward, you had to add sugar, just like Kool Aid.

Another drink made with cyclamate was Fizzies.

Both saccharine and cyclamate were approved for use by the FDA in the 50s. Foods made with cyclamate still are available in Canada and elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
I got the idea from the "milk" thread, wherein a poster said that growing up his or her Mom only ever bought 2% milk. That struck me as funny, because 2% (or 1%) milk seems new to me--when I grew up, there was either regular milk or skim milk, the latter of which people on diets drank and I only knew from seeing it in a store. I'm thinking the 2% and 1% started being marketed around the 1980s.

The title of this thread comes from the late Julia Child. I was watching a show once when she was so old that you could hear her breathing heavily into the microphone, and she was only supervising the other people on the show, not doing any of the work herself.

They were making a salad that included canned tuna, and she kept reaching out and picking and eating the tuna and saying how much she loves canned tuna. Then she went on to say that the tuna in oil is the best and to avoid the tuna in water, and asked, "What Nutritional Nellie ever thought that one up?"

So that's another. Tuna in water instead of oil is another fairly "new" or non-traditional way of a product being sold, ostensibly for nutritional purposes.

Any others you can remember?
Chicken cooked without skin has hardly any flavor of its own. I never eat it. For frying, amixture of lard and walnut oil really hits the spot. My mother used Crisco in the days before it was "pure vegetable".

Canned tuna in water is terrible although cats seem to prefer it, but not dogs. There's a recipe floating around the internet claiming to be an adaptation of Julia Child's tuna casserole. It has such tasty items as diet mushroom soup, 2% milk, and presumably healthy brown rice. UGHH! I tried to find the original but no luck so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
That tuna she was sampling is Lazio's brand, available by mail order/internet. They used to have a cannery here, now it's all in Ft Bragg (Mendocino County). .
Lazio Tuna seems to be available only from Lazio's distributor which they own. I'll call them Monday. If sainted Julia liked it it must be good. Lazio seems, however, to have targeted a new market. Note the second link.

GOURMET ALBACORE TUNA IN OLIVE OIL from United States California , GOURMET ALBACORE TUNA IN OLIVE OIL manufactory Lazio Gourmet Tuna

美容・健康 お悩み解決WEB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink