Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Peace, love and cheese to everybody, but I love my supermarket brand of powdered parmesan-romano more than any of that other stuff....I used to cut that other stuff off of those big, heavy wheels in an Italian Deli in New York, and then grate it and package it, so it's not like I never had the good stuff. I just eat whatever I like. I'd rather have my Busch beer than the high dollar stuff, too.
Agreed! Stink cheese is stink cheese! LOL! J/K ! There are hundreds if not thousands of different cheeses. I could never sample them all. We've made a big dent though. But, I've had fresh Parmesan's before and yes they keep well. Apparently the older, harder and stinkier are more preferred. I like sharp Cheddar but it doesn't age well in the fridge! Too many cheeses too few samplers... To each his own. Some people may have hyper sensitive taste buds for certain cheeses. Beer and Parmesan any Parmesan will suit me. There are certainly uses for Parmesan specifically as well as others! Applause here!! We've paid big money on "special" cheeses only to be disappointed. If you're making high quality Italian dishes ..use the best ingredients you can find. If you can afford them! Doesn't bother me ..as I've said before Kraft Spaghetti Dinner in the box is my favorite. Comes with a little packet of Parmesan cheese. Had many Spaghetti Dinners but this is #1Suits my taste buds!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
I love Parmesan. One time, though, I purchased some very expensive Parmesan at "Old World Market" in my town, which specializes in fancy schmantzy cheeses. It was a real extravagance for me. And I was very disappointed. The Parmesan was dry and not all that tasty. My favorite Parmesan can be purchased at the deli in one of my favorite restaurants in New Buffalo, Michigan. The restaurant is "Brewsters" and has marvelous gourmet Italian food. They put bowls of freshly shredded Parmesan on the tables, along with olive oil and fresh bread. Yum yum! When I discovered the same cheese is available in their deli, now I always stop in and take some home with me when I'm in that town.

Sorry, rainroosty, but the powdered stuff from the grocery store just doesn't compare to Brewster's Parmesan!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
It is not the SAME PRODUCT.

It is an inferior version of a strictly regulated cheese from a specific region in Italy. It has lower-quality ingredients, including fillers and preservatives. They get away with calling it 100% cheese by including those ingredients in the recipe for the cheese itself. It is DIFFERENT.

Good Lord help me. There is a product that is packaged in grated form. Before they grated it, it was THE SAME PRODUCT but not yet grated. Why can't I buy any of THE SAME PRODUCT that has not yet been grated?

Why is this question so difficult to understand?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Lord help me. There is a product that is packaged in grated form. Before they grated it, it was THE SAME PRODUCT but not yet grated. Why can't I buy any of THE SAME PRODUCT that has not yet been grated?

Because they make it for the sole purpose of pulverizing it into shake cheese. They make loads more money that way than if they tried to serve their cheese up to compete with other block cheeses called parmesan. It's likely you wouldn't even be able to cut or grate a "block" of it without it disintegrating into that powder form. It goes straight from the vat to the crumble machine, assembly line style.

Also, you must know that your question evolved. You first asked why a block of parm is more expensive than the powdered form. So, subsequently when you said "same", it's reasonable that posters thought you meant any block of parm was the same as what's powdered in the can - not that you meant why can't you buy the powdered stuff in block form.

Last edited by toosie; 07-22-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Because they make it for the sole purpose of pulverizing it into shake cheese. They make loads more money that way than if they tried to serve their cheese up to compete with other block cheeses called parmesan. It's likely you wouldn't even be able to cut or grate a "block" of it without it disintegrating into that powder form. It goes straight from the vat to the crumble machine, assembly line style.

Also, you must know that your question evolved. You first asked why a block of parm is more expensive than the powdered form. So, subsequently when you said "same", it's reasonable that posters thought you meant any block of parm was the same as what's powdered in the can - not that you meant why can't you buy the powdered stuff in block form.
Thank you for being the first to try to answer my question.

My can says "Parmesan" on it, so whatever it was before it was grated can also be legally called Parmesan in the USA. My question referred to that product.

Yours is a reasonable answer.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Good Lord help me. There is a product that is packaged in grated form. Before they grated it, it was THE SAME PRODUCT but not yet grated. Why can't I buy any of THE SAME PRODUCT that has not yet been grated?

Kraft tried selling this back in 2007. It was supposedly a block version of product you find in a can. It was called "Grate it fresh." It must not have done well. I can't seem to find any reference to it any longer.

Also interesting, they included a grater, which I am sure amped the price.

Kraft wants you to Grate-It-Fresh - Slashfood

Thats the last time I saw a chunk of American parmesan cheese by a major or store brand at the megamart.

The major canned cheese varieties dont sell the stuff they put in a can as a solid piece. Why? I don't know. This only leaves you to purchase the more expensive import varieties by the block. It probably doesn't pencil out for them to sell it by the block since they make so much money cutting the cheese with celulose (at least thats what the cheese conspiracy theorists believe.)

Hope that solves your dillema and sees you part with your frustration.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I presume you are referring to this stuff =
http://brands.kraftfoods.com/kraftparm/parmproducts.htm (broken link)

And the reason you cant buy the stuff before its grated is that its not meant to be sold in blocks as its kinda hard to shake out of the can if its still in solid form,If you have a Kraft factory close by you could probably get a sample before it goes through the grater or you could call Krafts customer service to get more info on the product.
Some reading on the subject.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/3646082.html

Last edited by jambo101; 07-23-2010 at 03:54 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
We purchased the Kraft solid cheese and grater. The cheese was just okay, but I figured the grater would be good to keep. Unfortunately, the kids threw it out after they ate all the cheese and I never saw it in the stores again.

I keep a chunk of cheese inside a grater like this, then put the whole thing in a ziplock bag in the frig. Quick and easy for the kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Applauding parmesan cheese-cheese-grater.jpeg  

Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Peace, love and cheese to everybody, but I love my supermarket brand of powdered parmesan-romano more than any of that other stuff....I used to cut that other stuff off of those big, heavy wheels in an Italian Deli in New York, and then grate it and package it, so it's not like I never had the good stuff. I just eat whatever I like. I'd rather have my Busch beer than the high dollar stuff, too.
You're such a populist! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink