Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

i would.

Quote:
It's time to bite back at those who bite you. D.C.'s unique dining scene is expanding beyond dreamy doughnuts and cheesy chili fries.
A one-day pop-up restaurant will deliver lunch with a crunch -- from roasted crickets, no less.
Pestaurant, an event started last year in London to expose diners to edible insects, is coming to D.C. June 4. The 3 1/2-hour lunch will take place at Occidental Grill on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Lunch is free, and the menu features everything from grasshopper burgers to Mexican spice mealworms, buffalo worms, roasted locusts and, yes, roasted crickets.
Those with a sweet tooth can sample scorpion lollipops, chocolate ant rounds and cricket lollipops, among other dessert options.
D.C. food pop-up serves up free insects - WTOP.com
'Pestaurant,' lol.

Quote:
To celebrate more than 85 years in business, J.C. Ehrlich, a leading expert in pest management and control in the Mid-Atlantic region, will host “Pestaurant on Pennsy” on June 4 at the Occidental Grill in downtown Washington, DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I like the word "pestaurant" that's clever

whats the country of origin of the little buggers???
whats the nutritional break-down???
what have they eaten ?? have they eaten pesticide/dog urine grasses????
have these bugs been genetically altered??? are they farm raised??? wild caught?
were they humanely killed?? were they fed in a bug-lot?? (feedlot) do they have pink-slime?
is there mad-grasshopper?? have they been inspected? graded?
are they organic? are they organic? were they given growth hormones?? anti-biotics? can you trace them, from grub to table?
my god, how many more animals do we have to kill, just to sustain us?? and and if we now kill all the bugs, what are the birds and fish and other animals going to eat??? this is first step in more species depletion (oh, the arrogance of people)
are we going to now be using bugs for a bug ethynol?? there goes the planet!!!!!

all these questions are applied everyday for fresh foods- the bugs cant be getting a free ride

Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I don't have an aversion to eating insects - they are quite tasty. Just consider them Arthropods - like lobsters, crabs, and shrimp .

Old 05-30-2014, 02:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...what have they eaten ??...
That is very important - normally, food-quality insects have been fed a controlled diet before they are nutritionally viable.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I would try it, out of curiosity.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
It's time to bite back at those who bite you. D.C.'s unique dining scene is expanding beyond dreamy doughnuts and cheesy chili fries.
A one-day pop-up restaurant will deliver lunch with a crunch -- from roasted crickets, no less.
Pestaurant, an event started last year in London to expose diners to edible insects, is coming to D.C. June 4. The 3 1/2-hour lunch will take place at Occidental Grill on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Lunch is free, and the menu features everything from grasshopper burgers to Mexican spice mealworms, buffalo worms, roasted locusts and, yes, roasted crickets.
Those with a sweet tooth can sample scorpion lollipops, chocolate ant rounds and cricket lollipops, among other dessert options.
D.C. food pop-up serves up free insects - WTOP.com
Oh, yuck!!!

I hate chocolate!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:29 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Probably better than " SNAP SANDWICHES "

Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
No, I won't try any insects on any kind.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
No, and I hope that I am never faced with the choice of having to eat insects.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:38 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I will never knowingly eat insects, knowingly, though I suppose one could never say never when faced in life or death situations where you were short of everything BUT insects.

And I'm sure I've eaten more than my share of foods from the grocery store. I think all food items sold have a certain level of insect parts allowed. Like foods and sauces in bottles for instance.

But the thought of eating bugs is just so gross and I'll never get over the ick factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink