Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like sweet alcohol drinks- its the women who call them girly drinks- cosmos, daiquiris, I like beer and whiskey too

but,,,it doesn't bother me one bit to get teased by the ladies-while some other guys wont drink em, afraid of getting ridiculed..

I don't understand the ops question,,,,does veggies cause a guy to go gay?? have a phobia against carrots??
doesn't make sense...at face value-
I'm just wondering if other people perceive the consumption of vegetables as being "unmanly" or "feminine." For what it's worth, I love a good steak from time to time, but equally love vegetables. I've never thought of vegetables as a "girly" food, but apparently, some men do. Here are some interesting articles that I found on the topic:

Psychology Explains Why Guys Don't Eat Vegetables

Why are boys taught eating vegetables is too girlish? - Sacramento Holistic Family Health | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Disclaimer: I am a man in my late 20s.

Most days, I try to bring my lunch with me to the office. I usually pack a sandwich, sometimes a side (chips, yogurt, etc) and almost always try to include a fruit or vegetable (salad, carrots, an apple, etc).

Today during lunch, I had a coworker comment that I "always eat so healthy." She went on to say that she wished that she could convince her boyfriend to eat vegetables. Apparently, he doesn't like to eat vegetables and considers them "unmanly." I guess that I have never considered healthy eating to belong to one particular gender, but if you think about it, most food commercials targeted to men are more centered around meat (think... buffalo wings, bacon, BBQ). It makes you wonder if some men are afraid to incorporate vegetables into their diet because they fear that it makes them appear feminine (quite strange if you ask me).

Do you consider eating vegetables to be "unmanly?"
LOL, loved the "real men get scurvy" comment
No, this is an old image based on the advertising meme of real men eat meat and potatoes, etc...

I like nutritional balance. To paraphrase that Dos Equis commercial, "I don't always eat a prepared salad, sometimes I feast on a bowl of raw vegetables. Stay healthy my friend."

While there were some vegetables I didn't like in youth many of them got more palatable as I became an adult. The fact you bring a balanced meal to work for lunches is good indicator of self discipline.

Weak minded people like this girl's boyfriend buy into stereotypes. Perhaps, she is (as another poster mentioned) - taking an interest in you? You know there's some truth to the saying that if you eat what women like they tend to be more apt to 'sample' you.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
29 year old male here. My wife and I both try and eat very healthy. I bring my own lunch and certainly have had comments at times about how I eat so many fruits and vegetables. I also eat mainly vegetarian (I get meat out at restaurants now and then) and get a lot of comments about that too. Some people, especially in the south, don't consider my diet "manly" but I definitely do not care

Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
Quote:
... .

If "manly" means you aren't as healthy as you could be, then yes.
If "manly" means you would rather have a lot of health problems in time, then yes.

I'm pretty "unmanly" in that way, and glad I am. Never gonna change.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:

Only if the vegetables are in a quiche.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
I consider eating a healthy diet to be "unstupid".

If the two paths (eating a healthy diet and eating vegetables) cross, so be it...

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM

510 posts, read 716,338 times
Yeah, there's definitely some association between the idea of eating meat and masculinity. In one film about eating vegan they show a guy who's a body builder but who eats vegan, just to make that point. Too bad since being male already increases your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
No, vegetables are tasty, eat them in large quantities.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
When I was younger and finally in control of my own diet, and not married yet. I don't think I ate much fruit or veg at all. And I didn't miss them. That was a "young and stupid" phase that I grew out of. I couldn't eat that way now if I wanted to.

It is not more manly to be at higher risk for heart attack, colon cancer, etc. I don't like a lots of veg, some I do. But I figure out a way to make vegs edible because they are good for you. They make a good filler food. Bite of something meaty and flavorful, bite of veg, repeat. That'll stick to your ribs better than meat alone anyway.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times
Well I am a guy and I like eating vegetables especially potato's, corn on the cob, spinach, etc. It's not like you can eat junk food such as buffalo wings, hamburgers, or pizza everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink