Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I love eggnog, but it's so fattening----and no one in my house likes it. So I'd have to drink it all myself. I haven't had it in years!!
I'm slurping a thick glass of Big Y nog right now. It's pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
I like the Pumpkin eggnog YUM!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,870 times
Egg nog with brandy!! Delicious!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,281 times
I always only had plain egg nog on Christmas Eve, and loved it, but a few weeks ago someone told me they had flavored quarts in the grocery store, and ever since I've been so into it. I got cinnamon one week, then gingerbread (just like eating a ginger snap--my favorite so far), then sugar cookie (not so into that), and I hope to get pumpkin soon if they still have it (could be phased out because it's a fall thing, really). I wish they'd sell it all year because I would buy it all year! I think it's one of the best things out there! Haha.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Best egg nog I ever had was from a recipe a neighbour gave me years ago. Just your regular traditional egg nog recipe but with softened vanilla ice-cream folded into it at the end. Like a milkshake almost. I make that one every year.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
I usually buy it at the store, but started making my own this year since it's so simple.

I use this recipe and it's awesome:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 tblsp vanilla extract
    • I have bourbon vanilla, so it's not quite as strong as regular, scale back if you dont like this much
  • a few dashes of nutmeg and cinnamon
  • optional - alcohol - spiced rum, etc
Dump all ingredients into the blender and let it mix for a few seconds. Super easy! Made it for my holiday party last weekend, and everyone loved it.
(found the recipe here: Easiest Egg Nog - All Recipes )
Thats a good recipe. Ill use it after the stores stop selling eggnog. Its cheaper for me to buy a 1/2 gallon of eggnog then to make it ($2.99). A 1/2 gal of milk (8 cups) is $1.80 & eggs are nearly $2.00 dozen. Stater bros eggnog is good & im getting some today.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
I usually buy it at the store, but started making my own this year since it's so simple.

I use this recipe and it's awesome:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 tblsp vanilla extract
    • I have bourbon vanilla, so it's not quite as strong as regular, scale back if you dont like this much
  • a few dashes of nutmeg and cinnamon
  • optional - alcohol - spiced rum, etc
Dump all ingredients into the blender and let it mix for a few seconds. Super easy! Made it for my holiday party last weekend, and everyone loved it.
(found the recipe here: Easiest Egg Nog - All Recipes )

Thanks for this awsome receipe and looks to be easy enough, I will try it, my sister in law use to make it, let me tell ya one swig of her eggnog and you were out. It was good, but definately booze in it. I will try yours, looks simpe enough. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Best egg nog I ever had was from a recipe a neighbour gave me years ago. Just your regular traditional egg nog recipe but with softened vanilla ice-cream folded into it at the end. Like a milkshake almost. I make that one every year.
My dad used to make that on Christmas Day.
He called it milk punch, and used bourbon, not rum. It was tasty.

The eggnog recipe I use is from Bacardi, it's about 30 years old so is not exactly health-conscious.

It is just yolks--the eggwhites are not included.

Twelve yolks are beaten.
Add: 1 Cup sugar, beat again
Add: 1 or 2 Cups dark rum, beat again
Stir in: 1 quart whole milk or half-and-half
Fold in 1 pint (real) whipped cream, and dust with (freshly grated) nutmeg.
When having a cup of eggnog, we always used to grate a little more nutmeg just before the first sip.

I know. Pretty rich stuff.
I haven't made it in awhile.
But as Gentlearts says, it's only once year.
I was thinking maybe I could skip the whipped cream part.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
My mom made one a few years back that had a lot of whipping cream and you cooked it on the stove first, man was it thick. You had to eat it with a spoon, but it tasted great.

The softened vanilla ice cream is an awesome idea, I'm gonna try that next time!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Quote:
My mom made one a few years back that had a lot of whipping cream and you cooked it on the stove first, man was it thick. You had to eat it with a spoon, but it tasted great.

The softened vanilla ice cream is an awesome idea, I'm gonna try that next time!
This sounds so good! Do you have the recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink