Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Chicago 30 49.18%
Philadelphia 24 39.34%
Both/Tie 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So does jihad. Your point?

As for floppy, greasy New York style pizza -- keep it.
Good NY style pizza is neither floppy nor greasy and I'll happily keep it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
I like them both for their differences. One isn't better than the other, they are just different.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well, for something that is gross, it sure has a world wide following. You can get Philly Cheesesteaks in London to Bangkok now.
Quote:
So does jihad. Your point?
Ohiogirl, I think you made the stupidest comment I read in a l-o-n-g time.

Let me explain it to you that you may understand: We are talking about FOOD. Not terrorist organizations or religious ideologies or political movements.

I pointed out that the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich has gained fame and fans all over the world; it's not just a regional specialty anymore. Your comment was dismissive and fatuous.

Personally I prefer the TRUE Philly sandwich which is a roast pork, sharp provolone and broccoli rabe on a hoagie roll ... but that's my taste.

A few months ago I was in New York City and found this shop in Midtown Manhattan:

Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
That vege cheese steak does look good.
Btw: Chicago has several hot dog stands (at one time there was one in every neighborhood) and
Hot Dougs is closing.
Lot's of Polish in Chicago (just as many Poles as in Warsaw) - so there are several places that
many people go to for those pierogies.
Chicago always had both deep dish and thin crust pizzas.
I'm not voting one over the other since I've been to Philly and I'm from Chicago....so both have goodies
to offer. Can't comment on molecular cuisine -not interested.
Agree...I love the pork from Philliy; love it, bar none! Chicago for everything else, and that covers a LOT of ground. I voted for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Thanks, Bailey. Sounds like you can get a good dog in Chicago after all....and I'd love the 'Polish'!
I just cringe at the classic 'Chicago dog'....which is topped with everything I don't want on my dog. lol....

Chicago food is on my bucket list.
Anyone who sells cheesesteaks with 'whiz' on them needs to be taught different. And then, I've seen those vendors in those Philly places refusing to serve people, based on how they order their sub or what they want on it. Morons.
That is the great thing...any dog, and anyway you want it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I like them both for their differences. One isn't better than the other, they are just different.
Exactly!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Cheesesteaks are gross and deep dish pizza is to die for. Winner: Chicago.

LOL, cheesesteaks are gross????

There is this little crappy hole in the wall place near my office and it has the best and most tender and flavorful cheese steaks ever......

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

There is this little crappy hole in the wall place near my office and it has the best and most tender and flavorful cheese steaks ever......
Would you say that Philly cheesesteaks are more popular than Chicago deep dish pizza in Southern California?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Actually I also think cheesesteaks are gross, lol
We were out, a few yrs back.....someone ordered it & I sampled it- yuck.

A Chicago Italian beef is infinitely better than a cheesesteak.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

I do not think that there is any comparison between an authentic Philly Cheese Steak and an Italian beef sandwich.

The latter - if you look at the Portillo's as an example is thinly sliced bottom round - uses an inferior cut of beef that has to be soaked in an just to give it any flavor.

The Philly places generally slice ribeyes for their sandwiches which are a lot more tender.

On average, I would prefer to eat in Philadelphia over Chicago.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Wow. Philly is really getting destroyed in the polls. You would think it would be closer given that local cuisine is one of Philly's strengths.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Would you say that Philly cheesesteaks are more popular than Chicago deep dish pizza in Southern California?
For my job I travel all over So Cal and if you aren't familiar with the layout here, it's massive, I mean massive sprawl after sprawl. That being said I think they are fairly close for every place where I see a philly cheesteaks you see Chicago style deep dish pizza's.... so I can't really say if one clearly out numbers the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

I thought I knew who you were.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink