Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times

Advertisements

Well, folks, I cooked my beets this afternoon but they did not come out so good. The one I hate part of had a bitter taste to it. These were giant beets that I boiled with a few cloves in the water. Where did I go wrong? Are the smaller beets sweeter tasting?

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,011 times
I LOVE turnips mashed with butter. I only like beets if they're pickled. And I have to be "in the mood" for brussel sprouts (loaded with butter sauce) but my sister loves them. I'm not into peas (too mushy) but my hubby would eat them everyday if I cooked them.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM

53 posts, read 90,852 times
I will eat ANY veggie!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Thumbs up Okra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Welll, this MIGHT get regional. LOL But being a Texan I LOVE fried okra. Most folks outside of the South have never even heard of it. And when it is described from the evolution of growing, picking, slicing to frying? They often either go "yuuuk" or turn a certain shade of collard green!

A lot of yankees love it though, when they actually try it!

Interesting topic, by the way!
Yes, another vote for fried okra or okra stew

Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I too love brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, eggplant, artichokes, spinach, beets, basically everything listed thus far. (Except okra - snot funny!)

I have a few more to add to the list which I believe have not yet been mentioned - kohlrabi, lima beans, parsnips, celeriac, parsley root, yuca/cassava root, kale, jerusalem artichokes, bok choy, and plantains <--(ok, they're fruits - but I prefer them prepared when they are still 'green' and vegetable-like).

Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Well, folks, I cooked my beets this afternoon but they did not come out so good. The one I hate part of had a bitter taste to it. These were giant beets that I boiled with a few cloves in the water. Where did I go wrong? Are the smaller beets sweeter tasting?

greenie
Green - have I lost my mind - or did my grandmother put a bit of baking soda in her water w/ the beets?????

Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Love - Artichokes (will eat every day), spinach, brussel sprouts, green squash, fiddlehead greens, cauliflower, carrots, brocolli, butternut squash (favorite soup), asparagus, corn.

Detest okra. Absolutely detest it.

I actually prefer vegetables to fruit.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
I like rutabaga's... like a cross between a parsnip and a potato... treat it like a potato too when you cook it. I like to crisp a couple of pieces of bacon, crumble it in there, and add a little cream or butter... mash it up. Goes good with a roasted leg of lamb.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Eggplant - saved for a different post as this is one of my areas of expertise.

As someone pointed out, the trick is to salt it for an hour or so.
There are LOTS of things to do with eggplant.
Ratatouille (don't need to salt for this, just chop and fry).
Babaganoush - best if the eggplant is smoked first.
My personal favorite is fried in batter (just basic egg/flour/water) if salted it actually doesn't absorb too much oil, holds its shape and is abolutely divine.
Moussaka.
Grilled or baked is also good. Chop and salt, coat lightly in olive oil and put it in the oven to roast for an hour, turn once or twice. Makes a great ME salad base with lemon/chopped parsley or cilantro/chopped red peppers.
Or - slice thin, brush with olive oil and grill. Lemon, touch balsamic salt and pepper and a little olive oil and it will keep nicely, be mushy though. Good in sandwiches with roasted red peppers, goat cheese or feta, maybe a little pesto.

Eggplant is also popular as an addition to meatless foods, such as vege spaghetti.

Look in Mediterranean cookbooks, Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern as eggplant is a staple in many of those cuisines.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

greenie
As far as healthy I'm not to sure....but we always put a lot of sugar while cooking the beets and they always turned out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink