Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
What a fun topic!
But a single orange was a very generous gift when my grandfather was a child, around 1900. We were ungrateful brats!
Funny you mentioned that, because my Mom (who is in her 50's) said my Grandmother, (her mom) always used to put Clementines in their stockings when they were kids. Boy, how times have changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Nomorlaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
They still exist- you never knew if you were going to bite into one of those and it would be chewy or shatter and cut your mouth. They were very inconsistent- aside from consistently bad.

Ghetto version of Starburst.
I totally agree - I never liked them because instead of enjoying the candy, you spent the whole time feeling the torture of "chewing" it. I liked that description you had - ghetto version of Starburst I do love Starburst - now, that was a delicious candy and it was soft and easy on the teeth. I haven't had any lately, but when I do, for some reason, the top of my nose sweats It is high on flavor and has that tangy effect.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Candy from another generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Funny you mentioned that, because my Mom (who is in her 50's) said my Grandmother, (her mom) always used to put Clementines in their stockings when they were kids. Boy, how times have changed!
In the past, kids were given fruit and that was considered a treat for them and they even looked forward to it. Boy, you give a kid a fruit in these modern times, even something as nice as a Clementine, and they will just give you a blank stare.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So my gf and I were on the subject of terrible tasting candies and wondering how these candies continued to be manufactured. I explained that one reason could be tradition. My sister and I have a tradition of filling everyone's Easter baskets and stockings with the worst tasting candy imaginable-Marshmellow Peeps: those thick marshmellows with the testure of concrete, formed into unrealistic shapes and dusted with foul tasting colored crystals. After trying them a couple of times, we never eat them anymore (not even the kids), but it's a running joke in our family that everyone has to get a package in their stocking and Easter basket every year anyway. So what do you think is the worst tasting candy? Does anything beat Marshmellow Peeps?
LOTS of things are worse. Ever tried Sen-Sen? It's licorice strong enough to clear your sinuses permanently.

Or those nostalgic, old-fashioned horehound candies? Guh!

What about clove-flavored Necco wafers? Or any other clove candy you can think of?

Twizzlers! Was it Steve Almond in his book Candyfreak who said they tasted like raincoat? Were truer words ever spoken?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
For me, black licorice is the MOST awful-tasting candy on the planet.

Next would those Neco wafers. Yuck!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
I don't like: cotton candy, jelly beans, gummi bears, jolly ranchers. I don't even remember peeps as a kid, but never cared for marshmellow stuff either.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I go to every grocery store right before Christmas to find the most tender and beautiful clementines to put in my child's stocking, along with assorted nuts in the shell. My child always seeks out the two clementines before anything else and exclaims "Santa oranges!" Simple traditions always create lasting memories.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
For me, black licorice is the MOST awful-tasting candy on the planet.

Next would those Neco wafers. Yuck!
You know what's even worse than Necco Wafers? Makeup flavored Necco Wafers. My gf told me that her elegant mother, a Necco Wafers lover, kept these atrocities in her purse all the time while she was growing up. Since her mom carefully reapplied her makeup whenever she went somewhere in public, the yummy makeup flavor rubbed off on the Necco Wafers. So when my gf had a candy craving and she offered her one, instead of tasting at least a subpar candy, she'd get the flavor of the best L'Oreal has to offer

Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
My dad's aunt's family was from Sweden, and she used to talk of a salty licorice called salmiak. Little diamond shaped black candies that were flavored with ammonium chloride. She said it was an acquired taste and she never actually acquired the liking for them. She even said they could gag a goat. Looked it up, it seems to be something of an abomination in the candy world.

Salty liquorice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-31-2014, 02:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
My dad's aunt's family was from Sweden, and she used to talk of a salty licorice called salmiak. Little diamond shaped black candies that were flavored with ammonium chloride. She said it was an acquired taste and she never actually acquired the liking for them. She even said they could gag a goat. Looked it up, it seems to be something of an abomination in the candy world...
I love that stuff. In Europe you find a lot more licorice variety in the sweet shops than in the US. I used to love buying licorice novelties (pipes, cigars, pinwheels, etc.). I never saw that red stuff until I came to the US (and what flavor is that supposed to be?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink