Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times

Advertisements

25 dollars is about 21 euros, hmm wonder if that would be possible to live off, maybe.

A box of porridge for breakfasts - 2,50
2 sweet potatoes - roughly 2
2 packs of soup veggies - 3 I think
Pack of 3 chicken thighs - 3
Box of rice - 2
Box of mincemeat - 3
Onions and garlic - 2
Some fruit with the last few euros

Porridge for breakfast, sweet potato and veggie soup for lunch and dinners will be baked chicken thighs or meatballs served with rice and spread out really thinly.

I don't think I would feel so great living off that little money for food.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Also to those folks who are buying cans of beans for 50 cents or $1:

You can buy a pound of dried beans for $1, and that pound will go a lot further than the single can. If you can save 25 cents per week, then the beginning of the following month you can get a 5-pound bag of dried beans for only $2, and that'll last you the entire month, with some left over for the month after, and that will net you enough at the end of the second month that you can afford to buy something in bulk the week after.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I had a friend who had to do this. Her freezer had quite a few pot pies. they are under $1 each. Lunch meat, bread and chips for lunch, Cereal, milk, toaster pastries for breakfast. And she bought packs of the peanut butter crackers as a pick me up during the day. Said she thought about Ramen, but she could only eat so many of those.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 AM

214 posts, read 281,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Pork roast 2-3lbs @ $6.00 (or whatever beef, chicken cut is on sale and under $2 per lb)
BBQ Sauce 1.00
Bread 1.00 ???
Margarine (oh no, I'm one of those) 1.00
Eggs (18 count) 2.50
Potatoes (5-10lbs) 2.00
Carrots (2lb bag) 1.00...

A whole loaf of bread for only $1??? Where do you live? Minimum $3 where I live. But then I only buy natural I don't even remember how much non natural bread costs so nevermind..

I remember surviving off of spaghetti every single night when I first moved out of my parents house. Costs like $20 bucks total for the whole month. 88 cents for store brand large can of crushed or whole tomatoes... thats more like fresh homemade sauce using nothing but the tomatoes (tastes way better than processed sauce). $1 something for box of noodles and $4 for meat. Lasts a whole week and probably the best tasting meal on a budget since spaghetti always taste better the more days it marinates. $6 total for the week.

Don't remember the other stuff but yea I did the whole $25 a week meal thing for like 2 years after first moving out. It's do-able.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
There's also always the "free happy hour food buffet" at various bars where you buy a cheap drink and eat your fill. A small soda might cost $2.50 but that'll also cover the cost of your 2 slices of pizza, half dozen buffalo wings, 4 loaded baked potato wedges, and a nice hunk of broccoli bread. That day, you can just have a late breakfast, and do fine on only two meals, at less than $4 for the day.

If you're the sneaky type, you could get a few of those baked potato wedges home for tomorrow's breakfast, and save even more that week.

Living on next to nothing for groceries isn't difficult. It just takes a bit of creative thinking. Being a college student living away from home and not in a dorm helps teach you how to do this

Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Three meals a day equals 42 slices of bread, 21 slices of cheese. One loaf and one packet doesn't cut it.
Who said anything about 3 meals a day? Bowl of cereal for breakfast, skip lunch, sandwich and some chips for supper. Trust me, ive been homeless before. When its all said and done youre just happy that youve been able to eat at least SOMETHING other than leaves off a tree.

Sandwich: 2 slices of bread. 1 sandwich per day/22 slices of bread per loaf = sandwiches for next 11 days.
Cold cuts: 1 package/16 slices 1 slice per sandwich = meat for sandwiches for next 16 days
Cheese: 1 slice per sandwich = cheese for sandwiches for next 16/24 days

Shall i go on with how many bowls of cereal one can get from a box?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
A whole loaf of bread for only $1??? Where do you live? Minimum $3 where I live. But then I only buy natural I don't even remember how much non natural bread costs so nevermind
Barring your last comment, one can buy a loaf of bread here (TN) for as low as 85 cents. One may not like it, but at least theyve been fed.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
25 dollars is about 21 euros, hmm wonder if that would be possible to live off, maybe.

A box of porridge for breakfasts - 2,50
2 sweet potatoes - roughly 2
2 packs of soup veggies - 3 I think
Pack of 3 chicken thighs - 3
Box of rice - 2
Box of mincemeat - 3
Onions and garlic - 2
Some fruit with the last few euros

Porridge for breakfast, sweet potato and veggie soup for lunch and dinners will be baked chicken thighs or meatballs served with rice and spread out really thinly.

I don't think I would feel so great living off that little money for food.
it beats not eating at all. trust me.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's not a week's worth of food though.

1 loaf of bread has approximately 10 slices. That's 5 days eating 1 sandwich per day.
1 package of cold cuts at $2.50/package is probably around 1/4 pound total. That's enough for 2 sandwiches as long as you include two pieces of cheese instead of one piece on each sandwich. The rest of the 5 days-worth of bread you'd be able to eat toasted cheese sandwiches, with no meat.

I don't know where you're going to find mayo AND "condiments" for only $2.50 combined.

Basically you have enough food in your list to last 5 days of breakfasts and 5 days of lunches, with nothing for dinner and nothing to eat at all 2 days of the week.

That's also mostly starch, hardly any protein at all, and lots and lots of salt. If you ate like that you'd probably be very sick after a couple of months.
What freaking bread are you buying that has 10 slices? My bread has 22 slices.
Mayo/condiments was to signify mayo or your choice of condiments, not all combined.

I dont care about starch. i just want to eat.

No, YOU have enough food from this list for that long. "I", however, have plenty of food from said list.

The OP's question was welcome to be answered by non-health nuts, correct?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Shopping list:
- brown rice
- consomee powder (the kind I use is $4 but lasts months and months)
- whatever veggies are on sale - cabbage, zucchini, other squashes are good bets for nutrient-dense, filling veggies
- potatoes
- onions
- eggs
- beans
- canned tomatoes
- anything left over in budget would go toward building spice arsenal, other staples (i.e. oil), or on-sale canned/frozen veggies.

Breakfast:
-congee with poached egg

Lunch:
- rice and beans or soup with potatoes and veggies

Dinner
- shakshouka (egg poached in spiced tomato and onion mixture - other veggies can be added)

There are ways to stretch that $25 and stay healthy-ish as a single person, as long as you have a little cooking know-how. Spices are the best way to stretch that dollar - I like using spice blends so I don't have to buy a ton of spices I don't use that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink