Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:17 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
To use the juices of the roasted meat?

But usually to covertly shorten the life span of your husband...or
to make him unattractive to other women?
Or to make your husband fat, lazy and tired so you
can stay up late and watch your own TV shows in peace?
Doesn't work. Neither does hiding an entire stick of butter in his dinner every night for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
In the south. it was to use up the meat drippings and to stretch the meal. You would get a small portion of meat and a couple of biscuits split and covered with gravy. We ate more pork and chicken so we made milk gravy.

Brown gravy, made with red meat, also uses up the whole piece of meat. I only eat brown gravy on mashed potatoes. Mama also made meat balls in brown gravy with mashed potatoes on the side.

Gravy in a restaurant or canned gravy is not gravy. In my house, I don't even make the gravy til everyone is at the table. it has to be barely thickened, fresh and hot. By the time you have your plate filled and your biscuits split, you are ready for the gravy.

There is a reason gravy is served in a boat. It is supposed to be pourable. If you can eat it with a fork, that's not gravy.

boogie'smom

Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
It also stretched the meal and the calories back at a time when nothing was wasted and smaller amounts of food had to feed larger families.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Its what goes on top of your pasta!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I would never put gravy on *my* (own) mashed potatoes, I go to considerable effort to make creamy, tasty spuds, gravy would only mask the delightful flavors.
e rest of the meal)
No way I ALWAYS put gravy on my mashed potatoes, not matter how divinely the potatoes taste on their own. They're just perfect complementary flavors.

Fries, on the other hand, I eat all the time without ketchup. Sometimes I want a straight potato taste without any zingy tanginess.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I always put gravy on mashed potatoes - no exceptions. In fact, I might actually be putting mashed potatoes on my gravy.
Absolutely agreed! And in some cases, I find the actual food to be nothing more than a convenient vehicle for the gravy, much like iceberg lettuce exists for me only as a delivery device for ranch dressing.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Ever make bacon gravy for your scrambled eggs? Oh my GOD is that goooooood.. So bad for you too, tee-hee!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I hardly ever even see/hear the word gravy these days. Gravy has a bad rap healthwise, so cooks have taken to calling what they serve with dry meat "sauce" to avoid the negative connotations. Same as calling Kentucky Fried Chicken KFC so people won't focus on the word "fried."

Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Its what goes on top of your pasta!
This always annoyed me when I lived with an Italian. "Gravy" = "sauce" or "marinara" to the vast majority of the population. Not everyone's from Jersey.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This always annoyed me when I lived with an Italian. "Gravy" = "sauce" or "marinara" to the vast majority of the population. Not everyone's from Jersey.
I'm part Italian, have had many friends who were Italian, but never heard spaghetti sauce referred to as gravy. When a neighbor who grew up on the west coast mentioned it, it was the first time I'd heard it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink