Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Everytime I tried that it got lumpy, but I'm sure I was doing something wrong. Do you use superfine (Wondra flour)?
As the other poster suggested - use a whisk. I have a flat whisk that i use for gravy. I whisk, whisk, whisk and never have lumps. Add the flour to the drippings/fat a bit at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
I got really good at starting gravy with a tiny bit of cornstarch beaten in a cup of water with a fork & added to whatever meat broth is going to be used for gravy, BUT, if I'm doing pan gravy, then Wondra flour works best...again, a small amount mixed with a fork into a cup of water, thin consistency, slowly added to pan scrapings. For good gravy for pork chops, also add a little apple cider or even apple cider vinegar, spoon of sour cream and a bay leaf. For chicken gravy, add white pepper, splash of milk & touch of garlic powder.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I made beef gravy from scratch the other night:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
about 2 cups water (give or take depending on how thick or thin you like it)
2 cubes of beef bouillon

-Dissolve the bouillion in hot water

-Melt butter in a sauce pan (do not let it bubble or get extremely hot) then add the flour. Keep stirring or use a whisk until it's well blended

-Slowly stir in water and keep stirring/whisking.

-Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder (whatever seasonings you like)

-Keep stirring until you reach the desired thickness. I didn't add all of the 2 cups of water at once. I added a cup first then gradually added a little more as it loosened to the desired thickness.

If you don't want to use fat, butter or pan drippings, then use Heinz homestyle gravy. I've used it and it's tasty.
Where's the beef?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
FYI: Butter IS fat.
Drippings ARE fat.
Margarine - fat.
The stuff left over in the pan when you bake/broil/cook/fry meat: fat.
Olive oil, you guessed it. Fat.
Bacon grease - yummy heavenly outstandingly delicious fat.

When making a meat gravy, it's best to use the fat from the meat. You don't need to save it from the week before, you can use whatever is in today's batch, fresh and still liquid from the pan/pot. You -could- buy a block of lard, but I agree - it's unappetizing in the cooking process. That's why I don't make pies - the only way to make a proper pie crust is to use lard.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Gravy vs sauce: the divisive issue that has led to bitter Italian-American dinner table arguments. In fact, I'm convinced it is the reason why my first boyfriend ended our romance; I called it sauce, while his people called it gravy. He said it was because I never listened to him (or something like that; I wasn't paying attention), but I know it was really about the gravy.
My husband's family is of Italian descent! This above is all too familiar... I am not listening either...LOLOLOLOL LMAO Listen to "what?"

I used to call it sauce before I got married! LOL I called it gravy here because it seems like that's what most people call it, and that's what's written on those jars at the store too...

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Browning the flour is the key for any fat free gravy.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Browning the flour is the key for any fat free gravy.
What is a fat free gravy made from, and how do you brown the flour?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's probably made with olestra or some other fat substitute.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
when you are making your roux..you can good it to vary shades....deeper rouxes don't thicken quite as much as lighter ones...but the bring depth to the flavors and are good for dishes like gumbo etc

Old 02-12-2015, 02:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Depending on how much gravy you want melt butter in a small pot,then add an equal part of flour and mix till the flour starts to darken,then add beef or chicken stock till the desired consistency is achieved stirring constantly.
Or just buy a can of premade gravy and heat it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink