Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times

Advertisements

We have 2 orange trees in our backyard and they produced some of the best oranges we've ever had this year- the only problem is that there are so many of them! I've been giving them away but even that only puts a small dent in the supply. These suckers are HUGE and very sweet and juicy, I can't believe how good they are this year.

Does anyone have any ideas on things we can do with them other than juicing and slicing them up? I was thinking of making a bunch of orange marmalade and canning it but I'm not that experienced with canning. I need ideas, I don't want these babies to go to waste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Can I send you my address?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Can I send you my address?

LOL! Dude, if I could ship them for a reasonable rate I would totally do it!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
how about donating some to a food bank or community kitchen? Might be able to get a tax write off.

Otherwise, about the only thing you can do to save them is grate the rind off and dry it, and juice the body.

Maybe you could ferment some into some kind of liquor, but that would take some research; it's something I've never tried.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
LOL! Dude, if I could ship them for a reasonable rate I would totally do it!
I was joking, of course. Could you possibly show us a photo of those wonderful oranges? I'd love to see what fresh, ripe oranges actually look like.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Okay, this is a bit of a process but will be well worth it:

1. You file the papers to adopt me.
2. The longest part will be the immigration process, but I've done this before (marriage) so I know what's involved and what to do.
3. The trickiest part may be convincing the adoption and immigration folks because I'm slightly older than most "children." In fact, I might even be older than you are, which is a tiny wrench in the plan. (I'm 49. We good?)
4. Assuming that steps 1 through 3 go without a hitch, I come live with you. Or I could live outside, near the trees. Either way is fine.
5. I eat oranges all day, every day.

Problem (almost) solved?

Seriously, though, I'm really envious. I love oranges. They're one of my top 3 favorite fruits. You're so lucky.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, this is a bit of a process but will be well worth it:

1. You file the papers to adopt me.
2. The longest part will be the immigration process, but I've done this before (marriage) so I know what's involved and what to do.
3. The trickiest part may be convincing the adoption and immigration folks because I'm slightly older than most "children." In fact, I might even be older than you are, which is a tiny wrench in the plan. (I'm 49. We good?)
4. Assuming that steps 1 through 3 go without a hitch, I come live with you. Or I could live outside, near the trees. Either way is fine.
5. I eat oranges all day, every day.

Problem (almost) solved?

Seriously, though, I'm really envious. I love oranges. They're one of my top 3 favorite fruits. You're so lucky.
LOL

Here are some suggestions on what to do with a bunch of oranges.

What To Do When Life Gives You {Lots Of} Oranges! - One Good Thing by Jillee

7 Ways With: Recipes Using Fresh Oranges | MyRecipes.com

Old 02-10-2015, 05:30 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I was thinking of making a bunch of orange marmalade and canning it but I'm not that experienced with canning.
Well, everyone who is experienced with canning was at one time not experienced with canning.

Do a little research online, and give it a shot!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Marmalade!

If you're going to start canning, something like marmalade is a good place to start.

You also can freeze marmalade.

This is a great website, with step-by-step instructions and photographs:

How to Make Orange Marmalade

And freezer marmalade instructions:

30 Minutes to Homemade SURE.JELL Orange Freezer Marmalade Recipe - Kraft Recipes

If you do want to make marmalade, and have questions, pop over to the Canning thread in the Recipes forum. We'll talk you through it!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
You could take the excess oranges to a homeless shelter, nursing home, or food bank.

Before I retired from teaching, people would occasionally bring excess food, supplies, etc. to school for the teachers. It was always a nice surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink