Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times

Advertisements

I like my steak warm. The rarer the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What I don't like about rare or medium rare steak is that it might have bacteria in the uncooked middle. But I usually have something else, not steak. There are so many better meat dishes than steak. Such as pan fried trout, teriyaki chicken, or tempura shrimp. I even like good chili better than steak. Not that steak doesn't taste good. It does. But it just seems like a waste of expensive meat, when you could make something fancier with a little more work.
I am not a big red meat eater so I agree with your post that I would rather have seafood or chicken than a steak.

But I did want to mention that you have a greater chance of bacterial infection from chili that uses ground beef than a steak. Ground beef has been ground thus exposing every bit of it to bacteria. An intact steak will only have "bacteria" on the outside which is seared off.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Charred on the outside and rare on the inside. I actually find medium rare on a ribeye to be wasteful.

With high heat such as a broiler or grill, you quickly sear both sides for 1.5min each side that's it. Assuming your meat is under 2" thick.
On the other hand, cooking a ribeye to bleu rare won't unleash most of the intramuscular fat that gives it its flavor.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
I order medium-rare, because lots of places will slightly overcook it and it will come out medium (which is still Okay with me).

When I was pregnant with my first child (and worried about everything I put in my mouth), my husband and I were taken out to dinner at a Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Florida. I ordered a filet medium well, with the assurance that it would still be moist and juicy.....

It came out as hard as a hockey puck and had no flavor. My husband refused to let me have any of his steak, said it was my fault for ordering the way I did and proceeded to tease me during dinner and comment on how delicious his medium-rare steak was. So there I was, with that crappy steak that tasted terrible and skipping a chance at protein needed for the growing life in my belly.

Never made that ordering mistake again

Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
On the other hand, cooking a ribeye to bleu rare won't unleash most of the intramuscular fat that gives it its flavor.
This. Cuts that have some fat (i.e. ribeye, sirloin) in them are best when cooked to medium rare/medium. You want the fat in it to cook enough that it cuts smoothly and easily, which means it needs to be above rare. Lean tender cuts (i.e. tenderloin) are the best ones to do rare.

To cook ribeye I usually throw it on a screaming hot grill to sear for a minute or so on each side, and then move it off the direct flame to roast for awhile at about 300. This breaks down the fat and also lets it pick up some flavor from the oak fire.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Medium rare, no more.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
(To the moderators: I took this picture with my iPhone, i work in a restaurant.)

I work at a Miami International Airport restaurant and a lot of customers order their Ribeyes medium/well to well done, and i think it's ridiculous how people can eat the meat so hard. I personaly order my Ribeye Medium.

Yours?
I go with medium because even while it rest's it is still cooking.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
which is also called new York strip , or sirloin strip
...but not EVER, in Kansas City.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I go with medium because even while it rest's it is still cooking.
I've had medium rare before, but my choice would actually be medium. It's perfect.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,346 times
medium rare mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink