Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times

Advertisements

So - I'm trying to do this cooking thing. My New Years Resolution was to eat healther, lose some weight ...yada yada But I really want to try to become healthier the right way.

Here's the thing - we are picky eaters...all of us.....well except my daughter.

I don't know what is exactly healthy - and - I don't know anything about cooking really either.

So here's what I'm looking for - Easy - Simple - Food Recipes. We usually just trade off between chicken breast with rice and london broil with mashed potatoes, and pasta. That is the extent of my menu - mainly because we are boring lol. I like gravy on all my meat....hubby doesn't. He won't eat anything green except for salad and broccoli. He also doesnt like anything with "goop" on it. (I think thats some kind of gravy LOL) For instance...you know those Lipton Noodles and sauce pouches....he won't eat them...says they are goopy. He won't eat spaghetti noodles either....don't ask....I don't know LOL. He'll eat other pasta though.

I made chicken parmesan last week and they loved that...but thats not very healthy is it? I can make alfredo with chicken and pasta, and baked ziti. You see.....I NEED HELP!

Any suggestions you have would be great! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Here is an easy one: Chicken Ceasar Salad

Grill your chicken slice into strips.

Make salad: Romaine, some parmesean cheese, croutons. Toss with some ceasar dressing. (You could use lowfat)

Arrange on plates put chicken on top of salad.

You're done.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 01-16-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: horrible spelling error

Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Taco salad is one of my favs! Lettuce, taco seasoned meat, tomato, tad bit of crumpled up tortilla chips or taco shells, cheese and low fat ranch salad dressing. This is served in a regular bowl or on a plate, not in a fried bowl like Taco Ball. The salad dressing sounds weird but just try it lol I don't know if it's diet but I tell myself that it is Simple, easy and great for taco night left overs.

I am not a whiz in the kitchen and kinda boring too so it IS hard. I feel your pain

Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Taco salad is one of my favs! Lettuce, taco seasoned meat, tomato, tad bit of crumpled up tortilla chips or taco shells, cheese and low fat ranch salad dressing. This is served in a regular bowl or on a plate, not in a fried bowl like Taco Ball. The salad dressing sounds weird but just try it lol I don't know if it's diet but I tell myself that it is Simple, easy and great for taco night left overs.

I am not a whiz in the kitchen and kinda boring too so it IS hard. I feel your pain

Would you believe I've never had a taco? I can't stand the look of them....lol...they just look so ewwwwy LOL. Thanks for the recipe though...I will pass this one on to my husband to make for him and my daughter...they'll love it.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Thanks Houston....That is a good one!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
[quote=jkmewright;2532296]Taco salad is one of my favs! Lettuce, taco seasoned meat, tomato, tad bit of crumpled up tortilla chips or taco shells, cheese and low fat ranch salad dressing. This is served in a regular bowl or on a plate, not in a fried bowl like Taco Ball. The salad dressing sounds weird but just try it lol I don't know if it's diet but I tell myself that it is Simple, easy and great for taco night left overs.

I make this and just add chopped black olives. The Ranch dressing really works and is one of the family favorites.

I

Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Default Mi taco nada su taco lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Would you believe I've never had a taco? I can't stand the look of them....lol...they just look so ewwwwy LOL. Thanks for the recipe though...I will pass this one on to my husband to make for him and my daughter...they'll love it.
What? What? lol That's funny

Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
What about enchiladas made with extra lean turkey and whole grain tortillas?

Or soup? Grilled cheese on whole grain bread?

Tuna noodle casserole?

Kraft recipes website has a ton of easy meals using their products.

I also like using fake crab for stuff -- that is healthy. Make a crab pasta salad. Pizza is also easy to make. Calzones too:

Take a can of crescent rolls and roll out into a big rectangle. Spread pizza or pasta sauce and your favorite toppings. Top with tons of cheese and fold over. Bake as directed on the can.

Stir fry is also healthy and good, and the combinations are endless.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
What? What? lol That's funny
Thats what everyone says lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
What about enchiladas made with extra lean turkey and whole grain tortillas?

ummmmm...whats an enchillada????

Or soup? Grilled cheese on whole grain bread?

I actually just found a recipe for Olive Gardens Pasta Fagioli! yummmmmm

Tuna noodle casserole?

can't do the tuna thing - the smell just makes me nauseas - same with corn - ewwwwww

Kraft recipes website has a ton of easy meals using their products.

I'll be heading over there soon!

I also like using fake crab for stuff -- that is healthy. Make a crab pasta salad. Pizza is also easy to make. Calzones too:

Take a can of crescent rolls and roll out into a big rectangle. Spread pizza or pasta sauce and your favorite toppings. Top with tons of cheese and fold over. Bake as directed on the can.

Stir fry is also healthy and good, and the combinations are endless.
Thanks for all the ideas!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
There are a lot of cookbooks out there that specialize in 5 ingredient recipes. That sounds like something you might enjoy.

Here's one.

Amazon.com: Essential 3-4-5 Ingredient Cookbook: Books: Barbara Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink