Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The topic title says, "Why is Thai cuisine more popular than Chinese or Korean?" I've lived in five states and the District of Columbia and I have never seen that to be true. Yes, there are far more Thai places than there were 15 years ago, but still not more than other Asian cuisines anywhere I've been. Personally, I like them all. And why are we ignoring Japanese cuisine in this survey? There are tons of sushi places where I live now. There are even sushi bars in three supermarkets in my neighborhood and we don't have all that many Japanese people living in Arizona.

In the DC area I can go over to NOVA and experience all of the above. I am especially fond of Vietnamese Pho houses and
prefer Chinese food over Thai although I love Thai iced tea.
True sushi joints aren't as plentiful though I know of a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
I went to a Thai restaurant once and remember the food being too spicy.

What does Korean cuisine generally consist of? There's a growing Korean population here so I'm sure I could find a place to go.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

What does Korean cuisine generally consist of? There's a growing Korean population here so I'm sure I could find a place to go.
Garlic and cabbage and more garlic. BBQ grilled at your table with ribs or pork bellies. Yum! Bowls with rice, veggies, meat and egg.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Just go to the restaurant, in Italy, where it was invented - Ristorante Alfredo alla Scrofa.
Haven't been there but I had fettucine Alfredo a few blocks away. (These restaurants are in Rome, for the curious.)

Old 08-31-2015, 04:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
One reason I'm fairly so-so on Thai (and a number of other subgroups of Asian cuisine) is its reliance on fish sauce as such a common cooking staple, and it's just not a fave of mine.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,489,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I went to a Thai restaurant once and remember the food being too spicy.

There are plenty of non-spicy choices on a Thai restaurant menu. Give it another shot.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,095 times
I absolutely love Thai food. It is my all time favorite. then Viet,Korean or Japanese food.
I don't do much Japanese food much anymore cause it's quite pricey. Forget Chinese. But I ll do a buffet once in a blue moon.

Let's face it, most of these restaurants are Americanize. If any of these joints are truely authentic, most of you wouldn't or couldn't eat it..

One of the best Thai restaurant I ever been to is in Vegas.... Someone mentioned Minnesota, there is a huge Lao/Thai community there. I am sure it's good.

Thai food is definitely not healthy. It has a lot of seasoning. Japanese and Vietnamese are freshest and healthier... I think Thai food has finally catch on because Americans are willing to step out of their comfort zone.

I am a Vietnamese guy that loves to eat, and living in Houston. I got a variety of good foods within 30minute drive.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
...If any of these joints are truely authentic, most of you wouldn't or couldn't eat it...
Speak for yourself. I've eaten plenty of authentic dishes, and the insect dishes don't faze me in the least.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Thai food is overrated, at least the Americanized kind. It's way too sweet. It seems especially popular on the West Coast. Many Chinese places have converted to Thai, or been shut down and Thai restaurants opened near them.

I think Thai food is also seen as being healthier.

Some foods are sweet, but it's not necessarily the first flavor I think of. I'm sure that it's become very Americanized also. But, still the flavors are more vibrant than Chinese American.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I absolutely love Thai food. It is my all time favorite. then Viet,Korean or Japanese food.
I don't do much Japanese food much anymore cause it's quite pricey. Forget Chinese. But I ll do a buffet once in a blue moon.

Let's face it, most of these restaurants are Americanize. If any of these joints are truely authentic, most of you wouldn't or couldn't eat it..

One of the best Thai restaurant I ever been to is in Vegas.... Someone mentioned Minnesota, there is a huge Lao/Thai community there. I am sure it's good.

Thai food is definitely not healthy. It has a lot of seasoning. Japanese and Vietnamese are freshest and healthier... I think Thai food has finally catch on because Americans are willing to step out of their comfort zone.

I am a Vietnamese guy that loves to eat, and living in Houston. I got a variety of good foods within 30minute drive.
See, this is where I sort of understand but disagree that Asian cuisines aren't healthy. It's the Americanized versions that aren't healthy at all.

Ever seen a fat Thai person? The typical Thai national is thin or skinny compare to Americans. Thai food is actually very light on sauce. The use of seasoning with spices does not add loads of unhealthy calories.

I just can't stand all these Thai places that pop out of every urban places that claim to be authentic but they're nothing more than Chinese eateries using Thai-ish style ingredients.

All 3, Thai, Japanese, and Vietnamese are equal in fresh and healthy eating if you choose to eat the true ethnic dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink