Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:05 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times

Advertisements

So what food source should I turn to? Fish, someone urges!

And if you go to most frozen food sections today, look at the frozen food packages and what will you see?

Originates in China or some other polluted SE Asian country.

China? Where in some parts, the water is so polluted, they don't even want you washing your clothes in it!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,043,447 times
The ingredient is ``Sodium Nitrate` which is in most processed meat , except some processed chicken ......The key is to eat some greens like a salad or coleslaw with the sodium Nitrate lased processed meats and this will counter the effects and bring life to the food

Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So what food source should I turn to? Fish, someone urges!

And if you go to most frozen food sections today, look at the frozen food packages and what will you see?

Originates in China or some other polluted SE Asian country.

China? Where in some parts, the water is so polluted, they don't even want you washing your clothes in it!
you don't have to turn anywhere,,this is 98% b.s.

moderation,,,,,it is harmful if you eat it EVERYDAY

its ok to have bacon or a hot dog just not EVERYDAY and who eats this stuff everyday??
no one I know

Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yeah but I have first hand knowledge of two women who statistically shouldn't have contracted anal cancer at 55, both of whom eat A LOT of processed meat, neither of whom ever smoked.

That is a statistical bubble that's hit me personally so I'm going to take it seriously.

I've never been a huge fan in the first place but given a choice I will not eat a pepperoni pizza again. No huge loss. I prefer vegetarian.
Statistics are a funny thing. You may not know enough about all the factors of their lives to say anything "statistically" definite about those two women.

Statistically, vegetarians do not suffer any less colo-rectal cancer than those who eat processed meat and sufficient vegetables.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yep. Three things come to mind: eggs, wine and coffee. Always contradictory information!

Take the earlier recommendation to abstain from coffee. The problem with those studies was that at the time they couldn't find a sufficient sample of heavy coffee drinkers who were not also heavy cigarette smokers. The two habits tended to go together.

When in later years they were able to find such people--drinking coffee but not smoking--the results for coffee were different.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:03 PM

6,243 posts, read 3,622,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Take the earlier recommendation to abstain from coffee. The problem with those studies was that at the time they couldn't find a sufficient sample of heavy coffee drinkers who were not also heavy cigarette smokers. The two habits tended to go together.

When in later years they were able to find such people--drinking coffee but not smoking--the results for coffee were different.
Interesting. I didn't know they had previously linked coffee to cancer. I wonder if these coffee drinkers were loading their beverage up with dairy and sugar and non-dairy coffee creamer (which is junk) and and one of those was the culprit. Now we know that coffee itself is actually a good source of antioxidant.

As for processed meats, there are plenty of nitrate-free hot dog and bacon brands out there. Some people are getting worked up about nothing.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,667,667 times
Quote:
Statistically, vegetarians do not suffer any less colo-rectal cancer than those who eat processed meat and sufficient vegetables.
Statistically they do. You are wrong.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Statistics are a funny thing. You may not know enough about all the factors of their lives to say anything "statistically" definite about those two women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Statistically they do. You are wrong.
Nope.

Why Colon Detox If You're Vegetarian -- Natural Health Blog

Quote:
It came as no surprise when the results of a long-term study published last week announced that vegetarians get significantly fewer cancers overall than meat eaters. Numerous other studies have found the same thing, although this research was unique in that it followed a very large group of subjects for a decade. But what did seem shocking was the finding that the vegetarian subjects developed significantly more colon cancers than did the carnivores.
Even a conclusion that vegetarians suffer fewer cancers overall specifically because of their diet is suspect because vegetarianism is a lifestyle that involves many differences from the "average American" who generally gives little thought to any of the cancer risks in his lifestyle.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,758,488 times
I know someone from work that developed colo-rectal cancer. He's a smoker, coffee drinker, and over-weight. He's got all the negatives. I think the main difference is that he's a smoker and there are many over-weight and heavy coffee drinker that don't have colo-rectal cancer yet. Smoking definitely increases the risk because the body has to work over-time to de-toxify the body.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,667,667 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that isn't a scientific source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink