Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times

Advertisements

When the days grow short in November, and it gets dark early I begin my "bulimic days." I can't get enough food. And it has to be the good stuff: fresh Polish kielbasa, pierogis, Morrell ham (no junk brand), pot roast (high end - $10 a pound stuff, thank you), Yukon Gold potatoes only (these days apparently only sold on the Beltway and Manhattan, not available elsewhere), and I even go for desserts like cheesecake which I never otherwise eat. 3 squares a day plus snacking...until I pack up and head to the Southwest for the winter. There and anywhere in the summer I almost never eat. But something about those dark gloomy depressing days of Nov, Dec, I just can't eat enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
In the winter I tend to eat oatmeal in the morning and in the warmer months I eat cold cereal.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:16 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Summer - More along the lines of BBQ food (esp. pulled pork, potato salad, coleslaw, things like that), more salads & fresh fruits. cold sandwiches, Vietnamese vermicilli.

Winter - Bring on the soups, stews, chilis, and casseroles! These foods aren't as enjoyable during warm/hot weather months, but they sure hit the spot around this time of year!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:42 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Summer - more cold salads, lighter fare in general. More fish, shrimp, more pasta, more grilling of meat versus making it in the oven - nothing "heavy". More limited sandwiches (hot like Italian Beef, sloppy joe's, etc. and cold sandwiches). More fast food, more delivery food. More apps for dinner. More breakfast for dinner.

Winter - more warm salads (Wilted Lettuce salad is my favorite example), more large cuts of meat (pot roast, pork roast, roast beef) more casseroles, more at home cooking, more stew, pot pies, etc. More hot HEARTY sandwiches (such as open faced hot beef with mashed potatoes, hot turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing - your typical diner sandwich), more meatloaf, more meatballs, etc.

So - er - basically just like everyone else.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I eat a lot more hot, comfort-type foods in winter, like potato soup, and things I can only make when wintry foods are in season, like apple-cider beans.

In summer, a lot more salady things and cold foods in general.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 AM

248 posts, read 20,732 times
Since it's winter , I tend to eat more than I should. In the winter, I also tend to eat heavier meals and snack a lot more than I usually would.

But then summer comes, and my diet changes drastically. I'll eat less than I would in winter. In summer, I tend to stick to" lighter" foods like Mashed Potatoes, Popsicles, ice cream etc...

My diet pretty much stays the same in fall and winter.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
It changes most during this type of year due to all the holiday foods. Like everyone, I eat more soups, stews, chilis, and tubers because it's cold and gets dark early. I drink more coffee, hot tea, hot cocoa, and liquor like Irish cream and cream sherry. I eat more baked goods and candies because this is the only time they're available in the store: panettone, pumpkin cheesecake, peppermint bark, gingerbread cookies, etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Me too, mostly.

I live on the coast in the summer and at a ski resort in the winter. My summer diet is things like swordfish on the grill, lobster rolls, steamed clams, and Portuguese/Azores foods available locally. I use the grill more than the stovetop and hardly ever use the oven. In the winter, my Le Creuset is my most commonly used cooking item.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:24 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Summer - more cold salads, lighter fare in general. More fish, shrimp, more pasta, more grilling of meat versus making it in the oven - nothing "heavy". More limited sandwiches (hot like Italian Beef, sloppy joe's, etc. and cold sandwiches). More fast food, more delivery food. More apps for dinner. More breakfast for dinner.

Winter - more warm salads (Wilted Lettuce salad is my favorite example), more large cuts of meat (pot roast, pork roast, roast beef) more casseroles, more at home cooking, more stew, pot pies, etc. More hot HEARTY sandwiches (such as open faced hot beef with mashed potatoes, hot turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing - your typical diner sandwich), more meatloaf, more meatballs, etc.

Same here. I can get by on a salad and some grilled chicken during the summer, but this time of year I generally want something more substantial.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
My answer is pretty simple: I eat a lot more JUNK throughout the holiday season - goodies of various sorts that I don't eat other times of the year. Otherwise my diet is about the same, although holiday dinner is about the only time I eat turkey.

We do eat more hearty things like chili through the winter, and hot chocolate and hot-buttered rums tends to be seasonal for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink