Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,258,710 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a belgian waffle maker and I was wondering if there is a difference between the regular ones and the ones that flip over. Does one make a better waffle than the other? What does flipping it over accomplish? I know I had really good waffles when I had breakfast at a hotel and they were made with one of the waffle makers that flip over, so I was leaning towards that kind. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I don't make waffles very often, and decided that based on the amount of room a large turnover model would take, and the size and cost of a small belgian waffler, I went with the small, cheap model from Wal-Mart, it works fine, and is small enough to just tuck in the side of the cupboard. I did buy some Belgian pearl sugar, makes a big difference, almost melts into caramelized dots in the waffle. yummy.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I don't have any, but I research it a bit and found out that over 400 people like those, so they must be pretty good:

Amazon.com: Waring Pro WMK300 Belgian Waffle Maker, Brushed Stainless: Kitchen & Dining ( more expensive, but Sears has it 10 bucks cheaper )

and this

Amazon.com: Presto 3510 FlipSide Belgian Waffle Maker: Kitchen & Dining ( budget - Wallmart has it for the same price, but instead of shipping you pay taxes)

Read users reviews to see which one would be a better choice for you.

Here are consumer search ratings:
Waffle Irons Reviews | Best Waffle Maker | ConsumerSearch

Top 10 Belgian Waffle Maker Reviews and Product Brands

Good luck with your shopping!!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

467 posts, read 713,423 times
I think the ones that flip make for a more crisp waffle which I like better. I have one that you just close, and it always comes out sort of soft (and yes I do cook it enough).

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I posted a reply to this the other day but it disappeared?

Anyway, I have the Waring Pro and it is far superior to any other waffle maker I have tried. I think the flipping just makes it cook more evenly. I highly recommend it, it's more expensive but I think it's worth it. JMO

Last edited by Beretta; 12-02-2012 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: I checked on this for you. You did not reply in this thread. You did not have a reply here that has disappeared.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
I have a Kitchen Aid Pro Series double sided waffle maker, and I love it. It makes wonderful, crisp waffles. You pour the batter in on one side, then flip it over and fill up the other side. The booklet I have said you flip it because it helps spread the batter more evenly on the hot plate, so even if you are only making one waffle at a time, you should at least flip it over for a minute and then flip it back. I like it because you can have 2 big waffles cooked in 4 minutes. I always hated having to eat in shifts when I used my old standard, cheap waffle maker. I could never keep them all warm without them drying out too much, or being too soggy, so we ate in shifts as they came off the waffle iron. This way, our family of 4 could all be at the table eating hot fresh waffles, within about 4 minutes.

I used to have a Nordic Ware stove top Belgium Waffle maker. You cooked it for so long on one side then flipped it over and cooked the other side. I really loved that thing, but the thermometer on if fell a part and I couldn't repair it.

I just looked at Elnina's link to Consumer Reports reviews, and noticed that these are both on the list of the top 4 best waffle makers.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I posted a reply to this the other day but it disappeared?
That was in the shopping forum

OP (and all) I suspect that the recipe and amount and time...
will all play at least as much of a role in the end result crispiness
as the machine used to heat that batter does.

watts is watts.

hth

Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That was in the shopping forum

OP (and all) I suspect that the recipe and amount and time...
will all play at least as much of a role in the end result crispiness
as the machine used to heat that batter does.

watts is watts.

hth
Yes, the recipe does matter. Using one with whipped egg whites will give a very nice, light, crispness to the waffle.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,258,710 times
Thanks everyone for the information. At least now I can make an informed decision.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
Where do you get Belgian pearl sugar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink