Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,051,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
All larger Corporate Chain restaurants now pretty much suck.
Pretty much. I think the desire to keep prices reasonable ( subjective ) has led most to "cheapen" the quality of ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Pretty much. I think the desire to keep prices reasonable ( subjective ) has led most to "cheapen" the quality of ingredients.
what do you expect on a dollar menu?????

wait til the minimum wage is 15.00..hr.

then they will cut even more corners on quality,,

filet-o-fish, is going to be filet - o - seaweed

Old 01-09-2016, 08:30 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,051,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Lol. Good point. 8 bucks at McD's doesn't go far!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,866,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks
My wife and I were discussing the many restaurants in our lives that we use to patronize and now have come to avoid.
I used to goto alot of them and now I dont like them because the stuff they sell is basically tasteless garbage!!!!

1) Burger King - Horrible (Used to be good in the 90s and before)
2) Wendys - Tasteless crap (Used to be good in the 90s and before)

Mcdonalds still tastes good but I havent really eaten there in 1 or 2 years.......

Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,224 times
I've never really enjoyed food at any fast food or chain restraurant however a few local restaurants have earned a place on my no go list recently.
One started with fabulous food at good prices which quickly shot up and quality decreased. Our area is big on summer resorters who don't seem to mind either the quality (or lack of) nor the prices and they are welcome to it. If these places don't appeal to locals they will close in a few years as they can't rely on summer business only.

Second quality was good, service was good but hair in the coleslaw ....... Yuk! and never again.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

love it: so true. When the min wage goes up the quality has to go down or the prices will be raised. We can't have it both ways.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I remember eating at Jack in the Box often with my mom and brother when we were kids. I loved the chicken strips. Needless to say, their chicken strips are not the same and they're now called Crap in the Box.

Also, semi-liked McDonalds as a teen... haven't liked them in nearly 10 years though.

KFC, was a fan of their chicken strips back in the 90s... but after realizing their chicken doesn't look like real chicken anymore, and I get violent diarrhea 50% of the time I eat their chicken, I stopped eating their chicken. lol. But I love their sides, especially the cole slaw.

Applebees use to be a fave for some chicken asiago dish they had... then they took it off the menu... and not a single thing on their menu makes me wanna go back.

Olive Garden also took off my favorite chicken orecchiette dish. They're lucky I love their zuppa toscana. I only go like once a year for it though.

Big fan of Panera Bread right now, except of course, their high prices, and let's talk about how I can get a turkey and cranberry flatbread sandwich that seriously has one piece of freaking turkey in it and 2 pieces of spinach. Half their stuff is not even nearly worth what they charge for it. But their soups can keep me going back...

Jack in the Box was a HUGE treat for my brother and me when we were kids in the late 60's - very early 70's..... but by the time we were in high school in the mid-70's we were all calling it Crap-in-the-Box..... although 2 tacos and a small Dr. Pepper for $.95 was GREAT after a night of partying!!

and I could not agree more about Macaroni Grill .... LOVED that place in the late 90's but the last couple of times I went there a few years ago, was HUGELY disappointed....

Old 01-09-2016, 10:16 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Jack in the Box was a HUGE treat for my brother and me when we were kids in the late 60's - very early 70's..... but by the time we were in high school in the mid-70's we were all calling it Crap-in-the-Box..... although 2 tacos and a small Dr. Pepper for $.95 was GREAT after a night of partying!!

and I could not agree more about Macaroni Grill .... LOVED that place in the late 90's but the last couple of times I went there a few years ago, was HUGELY disappointed....
Jack in your Crack is the one we always used.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:17 AM

579 posts, read 434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If you could stomach Papa John's, that's all I need to know about your food opinions.
LOL - what are you saying? I'm not a picky eater. I like most things. You'll notice that my list didn't have any chain burger joints though, because I was never a big fan to begin with. Also, I think Domino's pizza has always been pathetic. Little Caesars used to be better than it is now. Papa John's was the nearby option in the small city where I used to live, so that was our default pizza. Now I live in a city with better, and so that's what I get.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I were discussing the many restaurants in our lives that we use to patronize and now have come to avoid. The most common reasons are a big increase in prices, a decrease in food quality, or both. We came up with a few, most notably:

1. Panera Bread

2. Red Lobster

3. Olive Garden

4. The old standby Mickey D's

5. Burger King

6. Quizno's Subs

7. most Chinese buffets in our town

8. several Mexican places, which have both increased prices and greatly increased the salt content of the food, rendering it inedible

Do you have any on your list?
I don't regularly eat at restaurants any more. Pretty much stopped that many years ago when I lost quite a bit of weight. Occasionally, like maybe once a month, I'll eat out with my dad or son (when he is home) or BF. Even then, it's rarely a chain.

My BF used to like to eat at Five Guys - I went with him a few times and we both get the little burger...and share a fry and a drink. (We don't eat much and that is the reason for not eating out). He rarely eats there anymore as he said it was just too expensive. A couple of months ago I was headed to the hospital after work to see my mom, and I was starving - there was a Five Guys down the street so I went there and ordered the standard little burger, with a fry (to share them with my mom) and a soda. The gal rang it up and it was TWELVE dollars and change. I just about choked. I had not even looked at the prices, didn't really think about it. But that is NUTS. Will not ever be eating there again.

I would say that is the main reason I don't like to eat out much - the prices are just insane, at MOST restaurants. That said, I took my son and his friend to Texas De Brazil last summer, to the tune of $217.00. But that was a special occasion, and the food was insanely good, so it was more of an experience, than just a meal. I thought it was quite worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink