Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought of an idea of something to cook or make that didn't turn out so well? Tell us all about it.

When I was pregnant with my first son I had all these cravings. One day I thought I'd surprise my husband of less than a year with a surprise dessert I made up in my head. At the time it sounded really creative and good. I took vanilla pudding and put those tiny chocolate chips in it. In my head I imagined the chips floating here and there through the pudding. What happened was they all sunk to the bottom of the bowl and made a big chocolate mudpie. It not only didn't taste so good but looked very unappetitizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Have you ever thought of an idea of something to cook or make that didn't turn out so well? Tell us all about it.
Oh yes... MANY years ago (I was 12 at the time) my Mom let me help out for a family holiday dinner and make dessert. I chose to make Jello.

She had a ton of these Pastel colored sherbet dishes, so I used those for my (now famous) dessert. Trying to make things more "fancy and festive" I decided I would drop a Maraschino Cherry into each dish and then unmold them onto a china saucer...

I used Peach Flavored Jello.

I don't know what was worse... my Mother's look of utter HORROR, or my (much older) Brothers and Sisters laughing until they couldn't breathe.

I was only 12 after all and had no idea what all the fuss was about.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Oh yes... MANY years ago (I was 12 at the time) my Mom let me help out for a family holiday dinner and make dessert. I chose to make Jello.

She had a ton of these Pastel colored sherbet dishes, so I used those for my (now famous) dessert. Trying to make things more "fancy and festive" I decided I would drop a Maraschino Cherry into each dish and then unmold them onto a china saucer...

I don't know what was worse... my Mother's look of utter HORROR, or my (much older) Brothers and Sisters laughing until they couldn't breathe.

I'm a heck of a lot older than 12, and I still don't "get it". I have re-read that post three times, just in case I was missing something - still scratching my head. Can you explain in layman's terms, so this yokel can figure it out?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Breasts And Nipples!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Breasts And Nipples!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
I had some ground beef thawed & wanted to make my own hamburger helper type concoction.
I added noodles, a bit of onion soup mix, some brown gravy mix, seasonings, milk & butter to the browned beef & it smelled & looked great, but......
didn't taste all that great.
I ate it, only bc I was hungry & didn't want to throw it out.
My husband told me to never do that again & he settled for Ramen that night! Oops....

Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Baked squid. It suppose suppose to come out pretty, crisp, and golden. The actual result came out to be something that resembled what one's bathroom would look like after a night of heavy drinking.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Baked squid. It suppose suppose to come out pretty, crisp, and golden. The actual result came out to be something that resembled what one's bathroom would look like after a night of heavy drinking.
Oh my gosh! What a mental picture that makes!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

That is so funny. I have to be honest, I didn't "get it" either until I read what people posted explaining it. That is very funny!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 AM

I have another one...when I was around 11, I wanted to surprise my mom and make her a birthday cake. I had seen her make cakes but never made one myself. I couldn't ask for her help as it was really important for me to have it be a surprise. I got her recipe book and made her a chocolate cake from scratch. The problem turned out to be (and I had no idea I had made this mistake) that the recipe asked for 1/2 tsp. of salt and I added 1/2 a CUP. We the cake looked good and my mom was surpise and happy. We were all even more surprised when we cut it and took a bite! Oh my gosh the taste of sale was SOOOOO strong, you couldn't eat it at all after that first bite. Well don't they say it is the thought that counts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink