Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Nita, it scares me sometimes how often we agree on things! I could have written this, word for work. I'm seriously thinking we may have been separated at birth.

But this year, instead of the crab legs that we often get, DH has requested paella. It will have shrimp, andouille sausage, chicken and, if I can find some, clams.

Our 20th anniversary falls just a few days after Valentine's Day. For that, we ARE going out.

PS - where are you finding crab legs for $11 a pound????? Assuming they are not snow crab legs (I don't like those), that's a pretty good price.
believe it or not, they are snow crab legs and yes, just the legs. I wish I was rich, I would have bought the entire supply, but I am not, so settled for a little over a lb (only 5 little legs) and of course we will have our steak as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 05:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
We had a homegrown meaty chicken we processed. As chicken nuggets are one of hubby's fave foods, I told him he gets all those breasts for nuggets.

Anyway-

2 eggs (also fresh) well beaten in a bowl

toss in nuggets pieces

Shake & Bake for chicken (use your own flour for breading in you prefer)

I coat the nuggets, then fried lightly in hot oil. Set aside till all are lightly fried.
Bake in oven on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. 400F.

Enjoy with a dip!

They WERE good!!
thank you!!!

these sound wonderful, your husband is a lucky man!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,387 times
He showed up yesterday after lunch, on a workday Friday, with a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates.
Now, he works 45 miles away, and is a shop super. Fridays are usually his late days.

I was to say the least, happily surprised. And here I thought I was the one making up a surprise.

PS-he told me it took him a week of planning ahead, to get things done, and so his men would have enough to keep them busy and productive till quitting time Friday afternoon

Happy Valentines Day!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:45 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,527,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
He showed up yesterday after lunch, on a workday Friday, with a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates.
Now, he works 45 miles away, and is a shop super. Fridays are usually his late days.

I was to say the least, happily surprised. And here I thought I was the one making up a surprise.

PS-he told me it took him a week of planning ahead, to get things done, and so his men would have enough to keep them busy and productive till quitting time Friday afternoon

Happy Valentines Day!

How sweet! Here's to a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:24 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
I made the milk braised pork tenderloin last night. I don't think I did it completely right, but it was amazing. Thanks for the idea!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
How sweet! Here's to a wonderful Valentine's Day!

here's is a bouquet of roses to all that may not received any

Click image for larger version

Name:	meatroses5555.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	165720

Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's always been a special day to me. My future husband and I announced our engagement to the families on the 14th. Most years I cooked. He did once in a while. Some years we went out. He always gave me flowers. I love flowers. There's a very old story there, too, from when we knew knew each other as teens. When I was 13, I didn't know he was going to be the one. He didn't know then, either.

He loved steak and I favored seafood, so it was usually that combination. There was always a decent bottle of wine, or maybe Champagne. I've always liked to set dessert on fire. That was fun.
awww sweet story...thanks for sharing

im thinking pork for valentines day

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork55555.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	165721

Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM

32,957 posts, read 36,419,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
awww sweet story...thanks for sharing

im thinking pork for valentines day

Attachment 165721
Nothing wrong with a nice mixed grill.

I love those flowers.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,456,628 times
Thanks for the flowers!!!

We did Valentine's Day today - went to OTB, had a few cocktails, won a whole bunch of money, went to our regular bar and met up with friends, had a few appetizers, got the dog a burger to go, came home and have been watching TV for hours together - it's been WONDERFUL! Tomorrow we're staying home, having ribs, au gratin potatoes, biscuits, and cole slaw for dinner.

It's been a darn fine weekend so far!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
On the menu today:

Grilled filet mignon with a raspberry reduction
Mashed taters with onion, sage, rosemary, garlic and a bit of colby/jack cheese
Baby carrots in a brown sugar/butter sauce
Baby peas in savory butter sauce
Either a Russian Imperial Stout or a bourbon-barrel aged stout brewed with 2-row barley and chocolate and black patent malts.

Desert- undecided, maybe nothing...because usually after scarfing down a couple of pounds of good meat, a couple pounds of taters and a pound each of carrots and peas there isn't much room for anything else...but there are some extra raspberries on hand just in case I decide do do something cakey and chocolaty to go with the chocolate wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Happy anniversary; of course you will go out for that. I hope most people enjoy eating out on their special couples day.
No, I don't know of a restaurant within 100 miles that can do that menu better than I can, plus, I think it's more special for me to go to the effort of doing it, and, we are more comfortable at home where we can relax and take our time and I can have a smoke or cigar)...and not have to drive after...and a big part of the not driving is the current Gestapo-like attitude from the cops on 'drinking and driving' (now their TV ads are equating 'buzzed' driving with 'drunk' driving with the implication that if you've had anything at all to drink "We're going to nail you")- that's the final 'nail' in the coffin for going out to eat for for us (and that's as far as I'll go on *that* rant so I don't derail the thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am thinking of doing a risotto for Valentines.... never done one before and it's probably time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Risotto isn't hard to make at all, you just have to keep stirring it. But it's worth the time. A delicious dish.
I've done regular risotto with arborio rice, but, frankly, I find that I can make something even better with regular rice cooked in chicken broth with some peas, diced carrots and onion, some spices, and some cheese added at the end that makes it nice and creamy...in less time and with less effort/attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ok, so....I am thinking I am going to try my hand at steaks for my sweetiepie. This is the thing.....he is the official griller at our house. He will be working that day and it is going to be really cold....so I have to do this indoors. I do have a Foreman grill. I have cooked a million things on it, but never steaks. Anyone have any tips for me? To marinade or not, etc...? TY
Cold? In the Carolinas? LOL! I grilled outside last night, it was 7 below with a wind-chill of -30...probably not going to be much better today since it's still 10 below zero at 9:30AM. I'm definitely NOT doing it in just an apron no matter how 'sexy' the chicks might think it is ('stiffie' would have a completely different meaning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You'd only burn the butter and there is to much moisture in butter for a proper maillard reaction.

A pat of butter on top after the steak is done.

However Chrome Kitty you could use the broiler to oven grill the steak. To note though if you haven't done it before don't use an expensive cut of meat the first time as it takes a little practice.

When I cast iron skillet cook my steaks I transfer them for a few minutes at the end under the oven broiler to finish them off. The direct heat not being transferred through metal first gives them a perfect crust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Good point. What would you sear it in? Olive oil?
I use olive oil...on the exceedingly rare occasion that I do a steak indoors (only if the temp is so far below zero that the gas won't flow, or if I suddenly run out of gas for the grill and I find that the idiot responsible hasn't a single one of the three spare tanks filled). I have a hard anodized Calphalon pan that can go straight into the oven after searing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
moxie.....how did you make these home made nuggets???

they sound good!
First, in the Spring, you get a bunch of fluffy yellow chicks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink