Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times

Advertisements

Mostly family style. If the dishes don't all fit on the table the extras are on a side table within reach for passing. If I'm alone I just take from the pans to my plate.

For the person looking for hot pads to protect the table I suggest table pads, they can be custom made to any table size and are not very expensive considering that they protect every inch of the table and can be folded and put away when you want the table to show. We had them made years ago, they don't wear out and there's no chance of missing the trivet or whatever pad you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 PM

274 posts, read 252,883 times
Last time I had people over we just go "cafeteria style"--Serve yourself from the pots and pans on the stove.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Paper plates, plastic flatware, red Solo cups, and a roll of paper towels. How else would you enjoy a "pig pickin'"?
sounds like a pig roast at a wedding reception...

Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
few things in life am I very particular about but one of them is table manners.....

so I set the ground rules,,,,about electronics. at the table .. no swearing, spitting, or sneezing all over the food
we say grace,,,usually my sister and I say it memorializing grandmothers/grandfathers that aren't here... (only ancestry the younger ones hear about their elders

anyways...

I get voted to host many family gatherings.... and while I do like buffet style ... (everyone can grab what they want) sometimes we do pass the dishes around the table..

if its real formal....and we want to impress company.....we will get cleaned up and use indoor plumbing,,,

Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
In heels and an apron with nothing else on.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Mostly family style. If the dishes don't all fit on the table the extras are on a side table within reach for passing. If I'm alone I just take from the pans to my plate.

For the person looking for hot pads to protect the table I suggest table pads, they can be custom made to any table size and are not very expensive considering that they protect every inch of the table and can be folded and put away when you want the table to show. We had them made years ago, they don't wear out and there's no chance of missing the trivet or whatever pad you use.
I have a table pad. It's the table CLOTH I'm worried about.

It's interesting reading this thread. I'm guessing that the most informal (grab from the pots on the stove) aficionados and maybe the buffet fans are FAMILY groups. We have zero family and our large dinner groups (10-14 regularly) are all friends. Maybe that distinction is important. I don't know. But what DO know is people get second servings WAY MORE if the food is on the table.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
It's family style for all of our meals, whether it's special holiday meals with china, or everyday family meals. Most of the time, it's just hubby and I and we still put the food in bowls to pass, even if we're just sitting at the counter bar. There are usually 6-8 people at our holiday meals. If there were more, I'd go with a buffet.

Growing up, my mom was always "doing" while we were at the table, and didn't sit with us until we were mostly done eating. I hated that and I always sit down with the guests from the start.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
It's family style for all of our meals, whether it's special holiday meals with china, or everyday family meals. Most of the time, it's just hubby and I and we still put the food in bowls to pass, even if we're just sitting at the counter bar. There are usually 6-8 people at our holiday meals. If there were more, I'd go with a buffet.

Growing up, my mom was always "doing" while we were at the table, and didn't sit with us until we were mostly done eating. I hated that and I always sit down with the guests from the start.
Good for you. As a guest I am nervous with the hostess hopping around waiting on perfectly capable adults. That is why I like buffet.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
In heels and an apron with nothing else on.
Better not turn your back on me while serving or I might get "the vapors."

I'm with mainbrokerman about memorializing our missing loved ones. And I always say a few words of gratitude for all of us still being able to be together. It falls to me because the rest of the family seems to have a reluctance to bring up the dead. Comes from his side of the family. Heh.

I'll get a little formal for the holidays and still sit in the hostess's chair closest to the kitchen but my days of hopping up to refill glasses or get an extra fork are over.

We bring all the food into the dining room and if anyone needs anything from the kitchen one of the adult kids gets it. They are also kind enough to do the clearing and cleaning up.

The rare times when I entertain anyone other than our immediate family it's usually close, longtime friends or relatives so comfort for all is the first rule of the day and you know what it says on the t-shirt ;

"Mama aint happy, ain't nobody happy."

Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,502 times
I cannot remember the last time I set a table formally... I have all manner of , china, dishes, stems, goblets, glassware & flatware that I have acquired through the years. As I have aged & the family has grown, we no longer "set" a table (and sometimes we don't even set AT the table!). I think it began when grandbabies were babies & toddlers. Food set around counters & stove top and every man for himself. Parents nowadays are less inclined to teach manners & discipline, SO, among my family there is all the disposables. Disposable everything. If the little darlings cannot break anything, then you don't have to teach..... Also (as regards my ageing), the clean-up is easier, faster. These same kids, grandkids, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, etc., are also not real interested in helping in the kitchen (before or after). This is NOT a complaint. Just the way it is. The OLDER I get, I am right in there with them as regards the less formal set-up & the trouble it can be (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em??). I sometimes wish it could be different, but the fellowship means more to me than the way a room or table looks. My pretty tables only lasted until the first food was served. But, I do wonder what will become of all these dishes, etc., when I am no longer around!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink