Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you save bacon grease?
Duh 60 65.22%
No way 22 23.91%
I don't eat bacon 10 10.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times

Advertisements

A few times a week, I will fry up 2 slices of bacon. Then in the same pan, with the bacon still in it, I will crack 3 eggs. Once the yolks are almost set, I will toss in a few cups of spinach, which wilts nicely. Then I sprinkle 1 ounce of shredded cheese over the top. I slide the entire skillet of low carb goodness onto my plate, salt and pepper liberally, and that is dinner, bacon fat and all!

I never make more than 2 slices of bacon, and I almost always eat it with eggs and some veggie - spinach or cabbage, usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 08:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I have a family of wild crows that I feed leftover meat, pasta or a peanut butter sandwich every morning. Whenever I have bacon fat I pour it off onto a couple of slices of bread, let firm up in the fridge, then I cut it into pieces for them.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I do my bacon in the oven on a sheet pan. It makes it easy to drain the grease off. Save it in the fridge in a jar.
This is exactly what I do. A whole package at a time.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 PM

729 posts, read 429,553 times
Yes.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
I sometimes save some, along with the bacon rind, chop it all up, and put it in a bowl or an empty coconut shell, hang it out on the washing-line in my garden and use it as a bird feeder - quite useful for them in the winter months

Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
yes, we use it for cooking often...

Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pigs, like chickens will eat the feces of other pigs/// thats what makes them organic... but its organic feces....no chemicals...and nitrites
That is disgusting. You have never raised hogs, have you? They are fastidious in the extreme. They will pick one location as a latrine as far from their food as possible.

There are a lot of pig myths floating around. You hear about pigs not being able swim because some pigs drowned in the bible. The fact is that they are related to the hippopotamus and swim very well. They will dive for freshwater mussels and crawdads.

Another myth is that pigs are dirty. If you were confined in a tiny pen you would be dirty too, but I have pastured hogs, and given space and clean water, they are immaculate. They also will build very impressive dens that provide shelter from the sun or bad weather. They are far more intelligent than any other domestic animal.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We rarely have bacon and when we do have the bacon it is not used for breakfast.
I cook the bacon, toss in onions and steamed brussels sprouts or steamed asparagus and warm it through.
After that the bacon fat cannot be used for anything else in my opinion.
Yes, bacon fat is the way to cook brussels sprouts. One of my favorite practical jokes is to invite friends to dinner, only to serve liver and brussels sproutsh. You should see the look on their faces. What's even funnier is when they dig into second and third helpings.

Yes, bacon fat is a critical ingredient in good liver, but other tricks include a marinade in cheap red wine to get all the blood out - liver is a very bloody organ - and then to not cook it to death. Liver is very delicate, like fish, and can be ruined by overcooking. If you are serving liver and onions, brown the onions in bacon fat first, then add the liver at the end. Sometimes I will make a bacon grease and onion roux and cover the liver with gravy. Bacon grease is a great roux base.

For storage, I keep it in a pint wide mouth canning jar in the fridge.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM

455 posts, read 388,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Growing up, my mom always saved bacon fat (leftover from cooking bacon in the microwave mostly). She used it in veggies, to cook eggs, pancakes (don't ask), gravy and sausage.

So do you save your bacon fat? What do up use it for?
The hubs saves all fat, we even have goose fat. Great for gravy, sometimes soups, roasting veggies such as brussel sprouts or wilting cabbage, great for spinach salad dressing. Works for just about anything when you want just a little smokey flavor instead of butter or olive oil (also has pretty high heat point so works well for stir fry). We make sure to only save the clean fat and get rid of all the bits.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
My mom did, and I always have. Great for frying potatoes or eggs, or adding to dog food. What I didn't know until later in life, is that it is bad for septic systems, as is all food. And clogging pipes, like someone else said. So we save it even if never used.

Interestingly, here, bacon and sausage and all meat is so darn LEAN that there is no fat to save. Healthier, I guess, but dryer and less juicy. Bacon is ALL meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink