Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,045,461 times

Advertisements

Eggland's for me. They just seem to be better than store brand. We don't eat a lot of eggs so a dozen could last a month or more. Off brand eggs seem to get watery and run all over the pan. Eggland' seem to hold up better and the yolks are nice and rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,379,950 times
We buy Eggland's best for most uses. I honestly can't tell the difference because they are usually scrambled with cheese and veggies, but I appreciate the extra Omega-3s in them. If the store brand organic eggs are less expensive I'll buy those.

I do buy store brand eggs for baking and hard boiling.

We've been eating a lot of eggs lately, 2-3 dozen a week for 2 people. I've been trying to follow a lower carb diet and eggs are an important part of that for me. Husband has eaten a couple of eggs for breakfast for the past few years.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I was just thinking about this over the past few days (I'm bored, yes..).

My mom and sister swear by EggLand's best and will only buy these eggs. They swear hands down that these are the best store bought eggs they've ever tasted.

I however, typically purchase whatever's cheapest and is on sale...brand names don't seem to make a difference, although the brand name eggs at my local stores are rarely, if ever, on sale.

Irrespective of brown eggs vs. whites, how picky are you about the eggs you buy?

Does one particular brand vs. your local grocer's label matter to you? Does one taste better than the other? Is it worth the difference in price?

I'm a huge egg fan and can't live without them. I eat them for breakfast every day, and will have an additional 1-2 throughout the day, depending on my mood..

It matters a lot to me how the chickens laying the eggs are treated. I would have thought that would have mattered to any one with a sense of decency.
And since branding is an indicator of the particular source and conditions (along with other descriptions) - yes it is important. The cheapest eggs will have almost inevitably have been produced in the most horrendous conditions. Its a matter of conscience.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,459,167 times
Whatever is on sale the cheapest.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,212,492 times
An egg is an egg for pete sakes. I only require a price tag below $1.50 a dozen, and an out date at least 2 weeks off. My 69 cents/dozen Aldi eggs are about the freshest eggs I've ever seen. And I know what a fresh, high grade egg looks like.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
I only eat about one egg a month so I just buy half a dozen of whatever's local ad available.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times
I'm at the top of the food chain. I eat veal. I eat eggs from gulag chickens. I don't particularly worry about farm fresh because a dozen eggs will occupy my refrigerator for months and I happily use them when they're well beyond the sell-by date.

If I could do a mouse click and have a farm fresh organic egg from a freedom chicken put in my hand for 50 cents, I'd do that. Since half the eggs in my diet are past the expiration date, what's the point. I buy the cheapest thing in the store and don't worry a whole lot that I'm eating Monsanto and Bayer-infused food. If I were feeding under-18 children or someone who was pregnant, I'd have a different opinion about the organic part.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I buy all of my eggs from local farms, so no
That's what I want to do. Last year while driving in a nearby area, I passed a farm with chickens running around a field and a sign at the bottom of the driveway proclaiming the sale of eggs. I need to find that place again.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It matters a lot to me how the chickens laying the eggs are treated. I would have thought that would have mattered to any one with a sense of decency.
And since branding is an indicator of the particular source and conditions (along with other descriptions) - yes it is important. The cheapest eggs will have almost inevitably have been produced in the most horrendous conditions. Its a matter of conscience.
I buy cage-free, but I also am aware that this doesn't mean cruelty-free. The day-old male baby chicks are still thrown into the grinder. I struggle with it because I am vegetarian and eggs are a main protein source for me. Hopefully I'll be able to move closer to vegan, but I'm not there yet.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,991,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I don't really see the need for any special differentiation for something that comes from a chicken's butt.
Some folks prefer coffee that comes out of a similar orifice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink