Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm at the top of the food chain. I eat veal. I eat eggs from gulag chickens. I don't particularly worry about farm fresh because a dozen eggs will occupy my refrigerator for months and I happily use them when they're well beyond the sell-by date.

If I could do a mouse click and have a farm fresh organic egg from a freedom chicken put in my hand for 50 cents, I'd do that. Since half the eggs in my diet are past the expiration date, what's the point. I buy the cheapest thing in the store and don't worry a whole lot that I'm eating Monsanto and Bayer-infused food. If I were feeding under-18 children or someone who was pregnant, I'd have a different opinion about the organic part.
I pay attention to the outdates simply because I cannot guarantee where or how or how long those eggs were stored prior to placement in the grocery store cooler. Rare - but I have a couple times purchased nearly rotten eggs. They set those things at room temp sometimes for many days before they are even shipped. Cage free, what a laff! Hens actually like to go into a small cage to do their laying. But the average fool doesn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I only buy eggs laid by cage-free, free-range, expensive-fed, Perrier-drinking, daily-manicured, well-groomed, music-listening, stress-free, antibiotic-free, drug-free, teetotaling, self-confident, well-rested, and good-mannered chickens.

BTW - my favorite eggs are the double-yolkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Music? What are they listening to?
Maybe "The Chicken Dance" song?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Eggland's for me. They just seem to be better than store brand. We don't eat a lot of eggs so a dozen could last a month or more. Off brand eggs seem to get watery and run all over the pan. Eggland' seem to hold up better and the yolks are nice and rich.
My Aldi eggs (69 cents/dozen) are just like your Egglands. Probably from the same warehouse.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I only buy eggs laid by cage-free, free-range, expensive-fed, Perrier-drinking, daily-manicured, well-groomed, music-listening, stress-free, antibiotic-free, drug-free, teetotaling, self-confident, well-rested, and good-mannered chickens.

BTW - my favorite eggs are the double-yolkers.

I only buy $3.99/doz eggs from hens that I can confirm, lived alone in a 2500 sq ft cage with 3 1/2 baths, a stainless steel Dacor kitchen, and granite countertops, and got around in a little chicken-sized Lexus, feeding on bent grass. Metro roosters only! I'll buy $4/doz Eggland's best when I see pictorial proof of those hens living "humanely" in such surroundings. Until then? It's Aldi's "trailerpark, tube top, bowling league" hens' eggs for me (just skip the pics).

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 02-23-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Cage free, what a laff! Hens actually like to go into a small cage to do their laying. But the average fool doesn't know that.
Doesn't mean they want to live 24/7 in a small cage. Laugh all you want but I only buy organic and cage free.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Doesn't mean they want to live 24/7 in a small cage. Laugh all you want but I only buy organic and cage free.
You obviously have food stamps or extra coin from a trust fund, or like my neighbor, both. I have neither.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
It wife's coworker's hens are laying we buy from him. Other than that what ever is on sale. Anyone else notice how small large eggs have become?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:30 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We buy Eggland's best for most uses. I honestly can't tell the difference because they are usually scrambled with cheese and veggies,
This.

You know, there are times when i do make my eggs with cheese, sometimes (rarely) ham, and onions/peppers. Essentially, it's an omelette. With so much stuff added in, I can barely tell the difference

Will the better quality eggs truly make any difference here?

That being said, I eat my eggs 98% of the time scrambled with fresh black pepper. Yummy!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Organic at Kroegers--1/2 dozen cuz I use so few of them. About 2.79 for 6.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Sometimes I will buy eggs from a person who keeps chickens, other times I will buy at dollar tree, I tried egglands & decided thye were too expensive for eggs, hence a rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink