Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

We shop at Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Walmart, and Sam's which is a Walmart membership type place and I buy some groceries at Dollar General because the prices of canned foods are lower there. I don't know of any other store that carries the Clover Valley brand of canned foods.

In our area we also have BI-LO, Audi, Lowe's Grocery, not hardware, Publics, Trader Joes, etc. We have a lot of choices.

Best prices and freshest foods are usually at the Farmer's market that is open about twice a week. We live in an agriculture county. There are a couple of places where meat is dressed in our town and area.

I get bags of salad cucumbers at Walmart. They are the type my parents grew on our small farm when I was growing up. Powdered coffee creamer is cheaper at Walmart too. Walmart is very difficult for me to shop at . I don't like the way the store is arranged. I like a store where you can simply go up and down the aisles and know you have seen everything. Our local Harris Teeter and our local Walmart is not arranged that way so I prefer Food Lion. My husband is really fussy about some of the vegetables that go in his daily salad so he makes a trip to Harris Teeter sometimes when he needs more radishes.

Last edited by NCN; 06-14-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM

102 posts, read 101,587 times
Most people I know don't go to Walmart for groceries, but that's probably because our nearest Walmart is over 20 minutes away.

I live a five-minute walk from a bunch of stores, including Albertsons, Target, Sav-On. And then there are two Safeways and an organic grocery store a ten-minute drive away. You can actually do grocery shopping at Target only, but obviously Albertsons has more options.

I don't mind grocery shopping at Walmart though. But I normally don't.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Walmart is good for absolutely nothing.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Our local Walmart doesn't have a big grocery department. I'll get canned goods and other non-perishable items there, but go to a regular grocery store for most food.

When I lived in an urban area, I never went to Walmart. Now I live in a rural area, and have few shopping options (shopptions?) so I find myself there nearly every week.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I have shopped at Walmart but prefer not to because it seems to be mostly pre packaged, processed food.

I shop at Winn Dixie because they are good butchers and Publix because they have amazing produce.

For anything processed, I try and stick to Trader Joes because if it has their name on it, it is free trade, organic, non GMO.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Don't let the responses here fool you. Walmart is far and away the largest grocery chain in the US and sells more groceries than Kroger, Publix and Safeway (the largest pure grocery chains) combined. "Best" is obviously subjective, but they generally have the lowest prices on what they carry and can be found nationwide.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:12 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
For me Walmart is comparable with Tesco (not TescoExpress or TescoCity but the huge Hypertesco).

I like to shop at Walmart, whatever people say. I know what to expect and they have everything I need, especially when I am in a foreign city and I am not familiar with the local supermarkets. I do not buy everything at walmart though, because it is too far away and there are some smaller stores around for daily needs.

Also Safeway, Ralph's, Martin's, Giant Eagle are okay, but usually more expensive than Walmart.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Walmart may have the plurality, but most shopping is done in huge, but regional, supermarket chains. Even European chains like Aldi are making inroads.

Walmart is far from a monopoly on American grocery shopping.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
I live in SoCal and I previously lived in the NYC tri-state. In SoCal, I shop at Ralph's, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and occasionally Gelson's. I also hit up a few Westside farmers markets. Back East, it was Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Stop and Shop.

FYI--SoCal has some of the cheapest food prices I've seen, compared to elsewhere in the country. My grocery bill has been much cheaper out here and I don't shop any differently.

I don't touch Walmart. It is VERY different, based on where you are, in the country, however.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
Like several other posters I am blessed to live where I have access to HEB - in fact my neighborhood has a "designer" HEB built specifically for our demographic buying habits. My first trip to HEB after living out of state I almost burst into tears of happiness.

As an alternative I do pick up food at Target when I need more things than just groceries. I have picked up a few food items when I had to go to Walmart for something else -general party related supplies- but I am just not confident of the quality of produce and meat at Walmart. I'm spoiled though with 3 HEB's, 2 SuperTargets, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Costco within 10 minutes of my house. If I was closer to the big weekly farmer's market I would like to shop there but it's at least 30 minutes with no traffic so I haven't made it over there yet.

I agree Walmart shoppers in the US are most likely those with fewer choices. When we lived in NC we had a Walmart I tried because the grocery stores were more expensive than TX. I just wasn't happy so I drove to the SuperTarget in the next town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink