Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 12:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

Majority of livestock meats produced in the US has been fed a processed grain diet. Not to mention the products derived such as eggs, butter, milk.

The only way to avoid that would be finding your ingredients sourced from a local organic farm. I have sampled some meats produced locally and they were definitely miles better than mass produced. However I am not sure most people today can handle the taste.

A lot of folks don't like grass fed cow milk and grass fed beef. I love veggie fed chicken meat than all the typical grain diet chicken meat. The flavor is more potent and most folks today prefer less smelling meats. They think the smell is the smell of rotting meat but that's not true.

They can be sourced by small farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Majority of livestock meats produced in the US has been fed a processed grain diet. Not to mention the products derived such as eggs, butter, milk.

The only way to avoid that would be finding your ingredients sourced from a local organic farm. I have sampled some meats produced locally and they were definitely miles better than mass produced. However I am not sure most people today can handle the taste.

A lot of folks don't like grass fed cow milk and grass fed beef. I love veggie fed chicken meat than all the typical grain diet chicken meat. The flavor is more potent and most folks today prefer less smelling meats. They think the smell is the smell of rotting meat but that's not true.

please explain what a ........."processed grain diet "........is.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Majority of livestock meats produced in the US has been fed a processed grain diet. Not to mention the products derived such as eggs, butter, milk. The only way to avoid that would be finding your ingredients sourced from a local organic farm.
I agree absolutely although local isn't a mandate for organic as much of the country does not have sizable organic production nearby though one can find those items increasingly at not only natural foods grocers like Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Lucky's and Sprouts but also traditional grocers like Kroger and Publix. The key is to understand labeling and what each descriptive means. Words like "natural" or "free range" mean absolutely nothing for instance and only terms such as "pastured", "gmo-free", or "organic" hold any water in terms of promise of ethical organic production.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree absolutely although local isn't a mandate for organic as much of the country does not have sizable organic production nearby though one can find those items increasingly at not only natural foods grocers like Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Lucky's and Sprouts but also traditional grocers like Kroger and Publix. The key is to understand labeling and what each descriptive means. Words like "natural" or "free range" mean absolutely nothing for instance and only terms such as "pastured", "gmo-free", or "organic" hold any water in terms of promise of ethical organic production.
Actually, I think "the key is" being able to afford this (overhyped) organic, free range, grass-fed, massaged by 47 virgins, stuff.

I admit that am glad that they are finally eliminating antibiotics from our meat.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:

ok, so it is necessary to eat pretty much at home, and have a food bill that matches the national debt to eat strictly non processed foods. My guess if the Op is serious he/she just wants to avoid processed as much as possible. I can understand that, but this stay away from everything is being overdone in my opinion.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:55 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:

Chickens are not vegetarians.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
I agree with avoiding chain food places and eating at real restaurants, usually the ethnic ones. In this country it's hard to find though.

When we were on vacation in the UK, it was great not having to worry so much about junk in the food. The menu would say "locally sourced" and "organic" and "grass fed" and the food did taste great. They don't allow the cows to be fed hormones or antibiotics given to chickens either.

We don't eat out much but when we do it's not at a chain. Still, you're not always going to get really high quality food. We go to Indian, Mexican, a place that has a great salad bar, or occasionally a high end restaurant. The milk and milk products even contain hormones so it's pretty hard to avoid the extra junk that shouldn't be in our food.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I think Panera and Chipotle use fewer processed ingredients. But overall, you cannot control the ingredients in the food you order in a restaurant. You can certainly request things; you can inquire about a dish you might order. But you can't know about every single ingredient.

A place that prides itself on its sandwiches will use higher quality ingredients than a place that prides itself on large portions or speed of service. You have to exercise good judgement.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:59 PM

810 posts, read 668,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
You've likely heard people advise steering clear of processed foods because they can cause cancer. Short of making your own meals at home, how do you eat out yet avoid processed foods?

Let's take something simple like a sandwich. I love a good sandwich. But all of those deli meats, even those that say they have minimal preservatives and are minimally processed are still processed. Do you try to go for the oven roasted chicken and turkey meats that are pulled strips of meat when available?

I can go to Jack's Urban Eats and get turkey or tri-tip sandwiches (the chicken looks like processed lump of chicken breast) that I see them cut in front of me and know they aren't processed. But that's a $10 meal.

What do you folks do when you aren't preparing all-natural meals at home but eat out instead? Where do you go, what do you get?

I was doing Subway for a while and they have this chicken that's supposed to use no antibiotics and seems natural.. but their breads still have chemicals in them that are supposed to not be so good for you. Remember the ingredient they used that is also an ingredient of yoga mats?
order carrots and ice water

Old 07-04-2017, 07:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
You've likely heard people advise steering clear of processed foods because they can cause cancer. Short of making your own meals at home, how do you eat out yet avoid processed foods?

Let's take something simple like a sandwich. I love a good sandwich. But all of those deli meats, even those that say they have minimal preservatives and are minimally processed are still processed. Do you try to go for the oven roasted chicken and turkey meats that are pulled strips of meat when available?

I can go to Jack's Urban Eats and get turkey or tri-tip sandwiches (the chicken looks like processed lump of chicken breast) that I see them cut in front of me and know they aren't processed. But that's a $10 meal.

What do you folks do when you aren't preparing all-natural meals at home but eat out instead? Where do you go, what do you get?

I was doing Subway for a while and they have this chicken that's supposed to use no antibiotics and seems natural.. but their breads still have chemicals in them that are supposed to not be so good for you. Remember the ingredient they used that is also an ingredient of yoga mats?
Hate to tell you this but read the label on the 'safe' deli meat and it looks like the menu at chemicals are us. Unless you raise the meat and butcher it yourself there's no way to know what's in it. I just eat it and don't worry about it!

Even things like whole chicken at the grocery store have a list of 'ingredients'. It's not just chicken anymore. Or that tasty rotisserie chicken at Costco...it has ingredients too. Probably there are a couple ways to get decent deli. Look at Kosher, Halal, and lastly, the really expensive ones!

Think about it. You can make a plain chicken breast at home and slice it up. No way is it going to be as good tasting or tender as what you buy at the deli. Better living through chemistry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink