Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:10 PM

390 posts, read 379,928 times

Advertisements

Wow some of you guys are harsh. Of course anyone could go to Google to learn about different onions but it's real life cooking that is the knowledge I would want to know.

I love all varieties of onions as well. My daughter is vegan so I love learning about different plant based foods and recipes with her. We keep several types on hand as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I never use white onions. I use Vidalia when I need raw onions (potato salad), yellow onions for cooking, red onions for quick pickling (Mexican dishes), and scallions for garnishing (Asian dishes).
I keep white onions on hand at all times for that very reason. They're mild enough to be eaten raw but strong enough to sautee. Certainly I would rather use yellow and red but sometimes I think of something and the bag of white onions is incredibly versatile.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I've seen bags of mixed onions for sale with red, yellow and white in the same bag. Same price and weight as the all yellows. It may be a good idea to pick one up. You can always use them in regular, non experimental cooking.
I'd love to get my hands on that but I have never seen it in any of my local grocery stores.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
Wow some of you guys are harsh. Of course anyone could go to Google to learn about different onions but it's real life cooking that is the knowledge I would want to know.

-Snip-
Two things - you obviously don't know his posting history - it's a totally reasonable suggestion (and the only one that some of us are willing to answer with anymore). Second, if you actually LOOKED at the google results, they're not "all scientific" - they talk about what works in what kinds of dishes.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Dirt Grinder it shocks the crap out of me, but I'm going to contradict you on something! You're correct about the red onions for pickling for Mexican dishes. But white onions are what is usually used in cooking Mexican dishes. I learned that when we lived there...
How are you contradicting me? I didn't state that white onions aren't used in Mexican cooking. We just don't care for white onions, so we use yellow.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I don't know where all of you are getting these mild red onions, because I usually find them just as sharp or more so than the other kinds.

I like shallots for raw onion in salads (sometimes I soak it in water or vinegar to make it milder), and also yellow sweet onions like Texas 1015.

White onions are sharp and nicely textured, good for cooking, and the preferred raw onion (chopped fine) to top a taqueria style taco.

Green onions and leeks are also great. I am an allium fan.

I buy them all, but red onion is probably the least frequent choice.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I keep white onions on hand at all times for that very reason. They're mild enough to be eaten raw but strong enough to sautee. Certainly I would rather use yellow and red but sometimes I think of something and the bag of white onions is incredibly versatile.
We stopped buying white onions after two dishes were ruined by bitter white onions. We've never encountered a bitter yellow onion.

BTW - we use LOTS of onions and garlic in our cooking, so we buy yellow onions by the 10lb bag.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM

390 posts, read 379,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Two things - you obviously don't know his posting history - it's a totally reasonable suggestion (and the only one that some of us are willing to answer with anymore). Second, if you actually LOOKED at the google results, they're not "all scientific" - they talk about what works in what kinds of dishes.
I get that- I look at Google a lot but also like to discuss with "real" people (as real as an internet forum can be anyway) LOL.

You're right I don't know his specific posting history. Only reading this first post I think I've ever read in this section.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Me too....yellow.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
How are you contradicting me? I didn't state that white onions aren't used in Mexican cooking. We just don't care for white onions, so we use yellow.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Two things - you obviously don't know his posting history - it's a totally reasonable suggestion (and the only one that some of us are willing to answer with anymore)...
I don't know how to interpret this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink