Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,793 times

Advertisements

They're still here in California, but it seems they changed the names of American Chinese restaurants to Asian fusion, to differentiate from restaurants that serve foreign recipes (typically in Asian districts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,184,121 times
I think the big MSG scare - craze really did in the demand for Chinese food here locally a few years ago.

There was a reason a 5 gallon bucket full of orange chicken could sit in a serving tray for a 24 hour period and it was MSG.

Not something I want to be eating if I can avoid it

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I think the big MSG scare - craze really did in the demand for Chinese food here locally a few years ago.

There was a reason a 5 gallon bucket full of orange chicken could sit in a serving tray for a 24 hour period and it was MSG.

That's the most ignorant thing, well Americans are in general ignorant to fake news. MSG was invented by the Japanese and it is heavily used in their dishes and nobody complained?

For example Dashi that is used to make broth in miso soup and gyudon is loaded with MSG. People seem to have no problem with it. Alot of soy sauce and soup dippings they use is loaded with MSG.

Just about every Japanese snacks like rice crackers and chips have MSG and milliennials seem to prefer them over normal American chips and snacks.

Anyways, traditional Chinese receipe does not use MSG, it's new age Chinese dishes that calls for MSG.

Sichuan dishes do not need MSG because it is loaded with spices. MSG is used as a cheap way of not using real spices in American Chinese foods.

Again, what's ignorant is how Americans associate MSG with Chinese when it is invented by Japanese and commonly used by them.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,379,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband's ex-stepmother is Taiwanese. I definitely don't find her cooking to be overly sweet, but I do find it bland.
Well, Taiwanese do use some sugar in their cooking (though not to the extent of the level of sweet and sour pork) because sugarcane is abundant in Taiwan. My parents are from Taiwan and I didn't notice this until my wife (HK native) noticed how my mother seasoned her dishes.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM

983 posts, read 1,184,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's the most ignorant thing, well Americans are in general ignorant to fake news. MSG was invented by the Japanese and it is heavily used in their dishes and nobody complained?

For example Dashi that is used to make broth in miso soup and gyudon is loaded with MSG. People seem to have no problem with it. Alot of soy sauce and soup dippings they use is loaded with MSG.

Just about every Japanese snacks like rice crackers and chips have MSG and milliennials seem to prefer them over normal American chips and snacks.

Anyways, traditional Chinese receipe does not use MSG, it's new age Chinese dishes that calls for MSG.

Sichuan dishes do not need MSG because it is loaded with spices. MSG is used as a cheap way of not using real spices in American Chinese foods.

Again, what's ignorant is how Americans associate MSG with Chinese when it is invented by Japanese and commonly used by them.
The people have spoken and nearly everyone is aware of the MSG in many Chinese / Asian foods ( commercial foods )

We are not talking fresh home made Asian cuisine here .... DUH

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.VDOn3_g32Fc

Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM

404 posts, read 621,222 times
and a good dose of MSG!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,833,337 times
Quote:

MSG is not a preservative so it's not the reason that chicken can sit in a serving tray for 24 hours and in fact no restaurant in the United States would have chicken sitting in a serving tray for 24 hours or they'd be shut down by the board of health. Never mind the fact that every Chinese fast food place I go to has to restock the orange chicken twice an hour because they sell so much of it.

MSG is a seasoning. There is no "MSG scare" other then by ignorant racists. MSG is perfectly safe as a food additive, it has about 1/3 of the sodium as table salt and there have been dozens of blind studies that have proven that MSG doesn't cause headaches or any other negative health effects

Old 10-19-2017, 12:07 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,075,313 times
There is nothing wrong with MSG. And for you Peking Duck fans, you may owe yourself a trip one day to the DC area for dinner at the Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church VA. It is of national renown for that very dish.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:09 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,833,337 times
Quote:
The people have spoken and nearly everyone is aware of the MSG in many Chinese / Asian foods ( commercial foods )

We are not talking fresh home made Asian cuisine here .... DUH

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.VDOn3_g32Fc
And more importantly the FDA, doctors and scientists have spoken and every link that you posted will tell you the same thing:

Chinese restaurant syndrome

Chinese restaurant syndrome is a set of symptoms that some people have after eating Chinese food. A food additive called monosodium glutamate (MSG) has been blamed for the condition. However, this has not been proven to be the cause.

Causes
Reports of serious reactions to Chinese food first appeared in 1968. At that time, MSG was thought to be the cause of these symptoms. There have been many studies since then that have failed to show a connection between MSG and the symptoms some people describe.

For this reason, MSG continues to be used in some meals. However, it is possible that some people are particularly sensitive to food additives. MSG is chemically similar to one of the brain's most important chemicals, glutamate.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,903,386 times
We have an abundance of cheap, Americanized Chinese take-out "restaurants" here, and they all taste the same. However, I'll occasionally go to a Chinese buffet for...

1) Hot and sour soup
2) Boiled shrimp
3) Green-lipped mussels
4) Sautéed baby octopus
5) Fried frog legs
6) Salt-and-pepper shrimp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink