Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Favorite: Dense/dry, as in bread, potato chips, meat.
Least: Mealy, as in an apple that's not crisp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One big factor in our food likes/dislikes, besides taste, is texture.

What are your likes and dislikes for textures?

My favorite is probably foods that are crunchy or crispy. That's why I like chips and snacks and any other foods that are deep fried extra crispy. I just find the crunchiness satisfying for some reason.

My dislike are foods that are slimy or give the impression of slime. There are some food items that I think don't taste that bad, but just find them gross because of the slimy texture. Eels is one. Okra another.
Heyyy! You stole my answer!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
...There are some food items that I think don't taste that bad, but just find them gross because of the slimy texture. Eels is one. Okra another.
I love jellied/boiled/BBQ eels, and okra is great when roasted or used to thicken gumbo.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I can't stand anything "doughy".

I hate flour tortillas on burritos and those "wraps", cookie dough ice cream, the dumplings in chicken & dumplings, soft flimsy doughy pizza crust or "deep dish" pizza (my crust has to be very crispy), brownies and cookie bars that are too "moist" and soft, and any bread that is doughy and soft. My favorite bread is a really crusty french baguette.

I cannot eat fried chicken or wings unless they are nice and crispy. Soggy chicken skin? Blech.

I also don't like bananas unless they are at that just perfect ripeness and I have to eat them cold out of the refrigerator. Too ripe and they get that "slimy" goo texture - ugh.

I also agree with SeaofGrass - I hate the rubbery texture of shrimp, lobster, and crab. Kind of like eating a bug or something to me. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to even TRY a raw oyster.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Favorite: Dense/dry, as in bread, potato chips, meat.
Least: Mealy, as in an apple that's not crisp.
my answer as well: we used to call a mealy whatever pethy. Anyway, I can't stand that texture. That is why I can't eat persimmons. If they really are completely ripe and/or used in cookies fine, but I had so many thaw were pethy or is it pithy, as a kid, I just am grossed out even when I see one. That is another reason I am not fond of hummus. Some of the new flavors are really good and interesting, but the texture still turns me off. I do think they have gotten better over the years.

favorite is probably juicy like in a good rare steak or a great peach. I can handle mushy as well: very different than pithy.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:34 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I also agree with SeaofGrass - I hate the rubbery texture of shrimp, lobster, and crab. Kind of like eating a bug or something to me. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to even TRY a raw oyster.
It's touch-and-go just looking at them. I did try one once, on the half shell, after having had some drinks. We were out to dinner and I let myself be talked into it. I figured I should try it at least once. "Put some lemon and hot sauce on it. You'll love it!" Well, no. I got it down, but never again.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:13 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
My least favorite food texture is mucilaginous, as in boiled okra.

My favorite is probably crispy.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I hate the "pop" of certain sausage skins. I always hear about people loving that, and it being a favored trait of a good sausage. Ugh.
I'm with you there. IF I have a hotdog I pretty much only have Nathan's Beef Skinless. My mom loves the snap of that skin. It grosses me out.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I love crispy/crunchy. Hate creamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink