Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times

Advertisements

I eat every last bite of all the meals I cook. The concept of leftovers is unknown here. The amount of food that goes to waste is basically zero, except for an occasional avocado that goes bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 03:21 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We had a delicious Thanksgiving feast with friends yesterday. Great food. Had a wonderful time.

Woke up to the sad fact that we have no left-overs. Lots of people posting about their hot turkey sandwiches. And that they're going to have T'giving dinner #2 tonight.

Not us. Our cupboard is bare of left-overs.. Except some pumpkin pie. Which we had for breakfast.

So...tomorrow I'm gonna hunt down a turkey breast. Make some stuffing. Gravy. Cranberry sauce. And then we, too, will have left-overs.

What about you? Is your frig full of wonderful left-overs? Or bare, like ours??
since we brought the turkey to the gathering (as the hosts are mostly vegetarian and only eat meat a few times a year) - I roasted 2- one for them, so they could have the leftovers and carcass to make broth out of- and one for us- so we too have Thanksgiving "leftovers" (that and we have guests this weekend, so everyone will easily be fed)...

Old 11-25-2017, 03:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
The same thing happened to us!
I bought a turkey breast and there was only enough left for one sandwich today. Lots of stuffing, plenty of homemade cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes and regular potatoes - but the turkey breast was too small! So I'm buying another one when I go to the grocery store this weekend.
This is the time to do it. When we did our little shopping trip today, I spotted whole turkeys for $.49/lb! I may need to rearrange our freezer to make room for one of those.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I eat every last bite of all the meals I cook. The concept of leftovers is unknown here. The amount of food that goes to waste is basically zero, except for an occasional avocado that goes bad.

Who says leftovers go to waste? We eat ours the next day, or freeze them, or, if it's something like a turkey or chicken, use the leftover meat to make sandwiches or taco filling, or use them in a soup or casserole. The bones get put in a freezer bag until I have enough to make stock.

Leftovers aren't waste, they're a resource! It's pretty rare for me to cook any scratch meal without intending to have some, along with a plan for how they'll be used.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
They invited you over, paid for and cooked the meal, and you brought your pie home with you? Unless they hate pumpkin pie, or absolutely insisted, that should have been left for your hosts.

I didn’t get leftovers either, which is why I’ll make my own turkey dinner at home soonish.
Clarification. Yes, they didn't want the leftover pumpkin pie, but opted for the Key Lime pie we'd made and so it was left with them. As was the $29 bottle of Amaretto we'd given as a hostess gift. We try not to be cheapskates when people are kind enough to host us...

Old 11-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Clarification. Yes, they didn't want the leftover pumpkin pie, but opted for the Key Lime pie we'd made and so it was left with them. As was the $29 bottle of Amaretto we'd given as a hostess gift. We try not to be cheapskates when people are kind enough to host us...
I would have picked the key lime, too!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal of leftovers last night. If anything, they tasted better the second time around. There's just something about Thanksgiving leftovers. There's only so much food our son can take back on the plane, so hubby and I will be enjoying them for a while.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
We had a delicious Thanksgiving feast with friends yesterday. Great food. Had a wonderful time.

Woke up to the sad fact that we have no left-overs. Lots of people posting about their hot turkey sandwiches. And that they're going to have T'giving dinner #2 tonight.

Not us. Our cupboard is bare of left-overs.. Except some pumpkin pie. Which we had for breakfast.

So...tomorrow I'm gonna hunt down a turkey breast. Make some stuffing. Gravy. Cranberry sauce. And then we, too, will have left-overs.

What about you? Is your frig full of wonderful left-overs? Or bare, like ours??
I liked turkey for only two reasons:
1. Gravy
2. Turkey sandwiches the next day.

Now that my son is a vegetarian - there is NO leftover turkey - ever. We used to get together and have dinner #2 as well when we lived near family.

This year, I had leftovers of sweet potato casserole and spinach souffle. That's it.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:36 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I liked turkey for only two reasons:
1. Gravy
2. Turkey sandwiches the next day.

Now that my son is a vegetarian - there is NO leftover turkey - ever. We used to get together and have dinner #2 as well when we lived near family.

This year, I had leftovers of sweet potato casserole and spinach souffle. That's it.
Yep, but I'd add #3 STUFFING! With gravy. Turkey and stuffing and gravy. The Holy Trio of T'Giving.

Bet one could make vegetarian stuffing (bread, onions, celery, seasonings ,oil or butter, roux made with hot water/flour) and gravy if made with vegetable base instead of drippings and a non-animal oil such as walnut -- or butter if son eats dairy...

Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I made a large bird and a lot of side dishes so we would have left overs. I'm making a home made turkey pot pie tonight and a big pot of soup tomorrow. Our neighbors will be joining us for that. I make a huge caldron and will be sending some soup home with them. If there's any turkey left over I'll be freezing it for turkey sandwiches later. Most of the side dishes will be gone after tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink