Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

I suspect another factor in these dessert trends (and cooking trends in general) is the recently emergent popularity of GIF recipes on the internet.

The format of the recipe's presentation, short, soundless, > 2x speed playback, etc., favors certain types of recipes; those with fewer ingredients, simple steps, visual appeal, etc. which are well suited for simple, but decadent freezer pies and bars made with oreos and nutella and other multi-ingredient processed foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
See, this is the kind of nasty stuff I'm talking about. Eight types of cakes, and not one of them is remotely edible. Gross! I have not seen even one dessert recipe from this website that looks edible. The savory recipes are nothing to write home about either, but at least an edible one pops up once in a while.

https://tasty.co/recipe/8-desserts-in-1-pan
Why would you spend so much time visiting websites that don't offer what you're looking for? In July 2017 the New York Times listed the 15 most popular recipe websites, the one you cite is not among them. AllRecipes.com is listed as the largest with over 25 million recipes, I'm sure it would be just as easy for you to find something there you'd like as it was to find something you didn't.

Regardless, if all of the recipes on all of the websites and in all of the cookbooks in the world did not meet your standards, that is no confirmation that everyone outside your own home somehow has defective tastes nor that they are somehow less sophisticated than you.

And I note the first thing in that goofy recipe you seem to believe is somehow representative of life among the great unwashed is chocolate chip cookie dough. If one is unable to appreciate the exquisite pleasure derived from biting into a perfect chocolate chip cookie, be it thick or thin, crispy or chewy, with nuts or without, milk chocolate or dark, iced or plain one is simply trying way too hard to be disagreeable.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sometimes I think that people forget how very large the US is, and then add Canada, and then Australia.... that is HUGE. Within each (assuming for AUS and our northern neighbors, I'm not well traveled there) there is a huge multitude of different cuisines.

Not everyone develops a taste for some foreign foods. Heck, with Inuit Indians who eat raw eyeballs and spleens and such - it's a delicacy. I won't be eating that either. Call me uncultured and I will be a-okay!

We eat and love poi. Do you? Does that mean you are uncultured?

Yes, Americans have the stereotype of eating crap. All kinds of crap, too much crap.... fried, battered and heaped on the plate. Like all stereotypes there is a lot of truth in it, and a lot of untruth.

Depends on where in the US they are from and on the individuals.
I like some fried foods but can't do it very often. I wish more places could grill their calamari rather than have it fried. I had calamari grilled when I was at a restaurant in Naples, Italy and it was so good.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM

73 posts, read 102,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Also, I get tired of the dessert menus at chain restaurants in America. It's always the same desserts. Usually something they can heat up and pile ice cream on top, which takes little effort.
It's a chain restaurant - what do you expect?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what many Europeans won't eat? Corn. Now THAT'S missing out on something good. They also don't have good BBQ. And don't EVER try a "Tex Mex" or "Mexican food restaurant" anywhere in Europe.
Oh - I won't eat corn. LOL

That aside, isn't it wonderful how regions and cultures have their own especialites when it comes to cuisine?
Quote:
See, this is the kind of nasty stuff I'm talking about. Eight types of cakes, and not one of them is remotely edible. Gross! I have not seen even one dessert recipe from this website that looks edible. The savory recipes are nothing to write home about either, but at least an edible one pops up once in a while.

LMAO. Blah, blah, blah ... I can find lots of recipes on the interwebs that I don't like, either.

I bet if you tried really hard, you could find recipes for some of the foods the good folks here have been telling you about ... but you haven't been listening. Your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, so you think that some recipe someone posted on the internet is a better indication of American eating habits than the information given here, by actual Americans, most of whom can and do actually cook, and all of whom have eaten actual typical American meals cooked by actual real Americans.

Just.... go away now.
Right on!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

So what - I'd never make or eat that either and I'm as American as they come.

Likewise, these common desserts from other parts of the world also don't appeal to me:

Malaysian Shaved Ice (Ice Kacang/ABC) | Easy Delicious Recipes

Deep fried candy bars originated in Scotland, by the way - YUCK.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...mars_bars.html

Mmmm, chicken meat pudding...
https://www.thespruce.com/turkish-ch...gogusu-3274194

This might or might not be good but I can't see what's particularly "superior" about it:
Sweet Cinnamon Cold Noodle Dessert | Yi Reservation

Been there, done the rice balls - blech.
https://www.thespruce.com/ohagi-botamochi-2031326

This is probably good but it's basically pudding. Full of sugar - and heavy cream.
Almond Jelly (Annin Tofu)

And here you go - as you can see, no shortage of sugar, heavy cream, and yes - chocolate - in this list of the best desserts from 22 different countries:
The Best Dessert In 22 Countries Around The World

And here's a list of classic American desserts - and at least half of them have not a smidgen of chocolate in them, and about half of them are fruit based.
https://www.saveur.com/best-classic-...ecipes#page-21

Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Wait, y'all are actually trying to give honest fact-based answers. That's not what the OP wanted; they wanted validation of their preconceived notions about American culture. So, here you are, OP:

Because we Americans are a bunch of uncultured slobs, hooligans, and yahoos who would not accept the kind of foods that are eaten by subtle, sophisticated people like you.

There. Feel better?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:

Then why don't you stop looking there? You must have plenty of time on your hands.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I am an American and I for one love fruity flavors. Always have. Peach tea to apple pie and 99% in-between.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think every kid who read the Narnia books was probably highly disappointed by Turkish Delight in real life. How could something that sounds so good on paper be so terrible?
The thing is, not all Turkish delight is flavored with rose water. Those are actually my least favorite. I love the ones made by Liberty Orchards, they have ones with apricot and walnuts that are so delicious:

https://www.libertyorchards.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink