Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You'll see them marked as "veggie trays," here, at purveyors where they can be purchased readymade.
Yup! There's another - "purveyors."

Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Edited to note the following: While not technically defined as "jargon" as someone mentioned, this thread made me think of terms often found in the foodie culture that seem pretentious to me, since the OP alluded to certain terms being pretentious. There are probably more I could think of, but these immediately come to mind:

-"Farm to table" This seems to be a buzzword of pretentious restaurants that are ironically trying to seem "down to earth".
- Food that is "locally sourced" and also noticeably overpriced. If it's local, it shouldn't cost as much to move as an out of season mango in Iceland. And the restaurant should have a good enough business relationship with Farmer Jane and Joe to get a better price than -16- for a Caesar salad using locally sourced iceberg lettuce (another pretentious menu tactic- step prices rounded to the next dollar without the dollar sign).
-Craft beer and "growlers" - Classic beer snob language
-Market Price- Just put the price on the menu that is averaged out. Sometimes the house will win, sometimes it won't make quite as much. But it's annoying for a customer to guess how the fish "market" is doing today.
-House made (rather than homemade), and for mundane items like ketchup
-Hipster restaurants serving beverages in mason jars and charging "-8-" for them (also see comment above concerning pretentious price listings).
-Menu descriptions that use "drizzled with"
Caesar salad made with iceberg lettuce? That's neither jargon nor slang, it's just plain wrong!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,602,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordfox View Post
I cringe when I hear:

jalapeeno for jalapeño
habañero for habanero
payaya for paella
plantins for plantains
mafunga for mofongo
etc
etc
etc
I’ve always pronounced jalapeño as ah-la-penyo, or ol-o-penyo.
A habañero is a chili-pepper to me, and a habanera is a female
from Havana, so it follows that a habanero is a guy from Havana.
The double ll in Spanish I’ve always understood to be pronounced
as a Y, as in Mallorca, which is sometimes spelled Majorca, but is
always pronounced as My-yorca, or Mahyorca, so paella, to me,
rightly or wrongly, is pie-a-ya, NEVER pay-ella, nor pie-ella.
Plaintains can only be plantayns, never plantins.
Even though I flew down from NYC to Puerto Rico for a few days
once, I’m probably not sophisticated enough to have even heard
of mofongo, never mind eating it, but at least I won’t call it mafunga now!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,385,652 times
It's not exactly a food term, but it's related to one's desire to eat food. I hate the term, "hangry," as in "I'm hangry."

Old 02-22-2018, 06:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,091,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Probably why you have so many hometowns listed - people run you out after the third "yummy."
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for my morning giggle. That was great!

PS. They're not hometowns. They're locations where I lived. But, yeah, they ran me out of Connecticut for saying that their taxes weren't yummy.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:30 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Super tasters do exist. About 30% of the world's population is made up of super tasters.

One of the ways you can tell if you're a super tasters is observe your reaction when you taste many of the artificial sweeteners on the market.

Do they taste sweet to you? Then you have normal taste buds. You're in the 70% category.

If you're a super taster (like me), most of the artificial sweeteners taste like obnoxious, bitter chemicals that make you want to wretch. They're not sweet at all. I'm not over exaggerating. When I eat anything that contains Splenda or aspartame, it's a disgusting taste.
Huh. That's how they taste to me. It's awful.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's not exactly a food term, but it's related to one's desire to eat food. I hate the term, "hangry," as in "I'm hangry."
I think it's funny because it's such a perfect expression for the crankiness I feel when I am hungry.

Now we need a term for the crankiness I feel when I haven't yet had coffee in the morning. Oh wait. That's called "withdrawal".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-22-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,458,515 times
I hate it when adults say "nummy" instead of yummy. Also, samies instead of sandwiches. Ditto for veggies for vegetables. I know it is just a personal preference, and some might think I am being mean, but those words just drive me nuts. Oh, add EVOO instead of olive oil. For heavens sakes! stop1

Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I hate it when adults say "nummy" instead of yummy. Also, samies instead of sandwiches. Ditto for veggies for vegetables. I know it is just a personal preference, and some might think I am being mean, but those words just drive me nuts. Oh, add EVOO instead of olive oil. For heavens sakes! stop1
I don't like "yummy" to begin with. Started seeing that everywhere a couple of years ago. Baby talk.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,892,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Oh, add EVOO instead of olive oil. For heavens sakes! stop1
EVOO is an abbreviation for a specific type of olive oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's more flavorful than regular olive oil. I don't like the term, either (what's so bad about spelling it out?), but at least it's a normal abbreviation, not a pretentious derivative of an existing word.

Speaking of which, all those childish terms, like "yummy", "sammies", "veggies", etc., remind me of a joke.

Kids are starting first grade. The teacher says: "You're becoming big kids. You're not in kindergarten anymore. You're in first grade now. So we're going to practice using big kid words. Jennie, let's start with you. What did you do this summer?"
"I lived with nana on the farm."
"That's very good, but remember: the big kid word is 'grandmother' or 'grandma'. Now, Bobby, how about you?"
"I rode a choo-choo across the country."
"Wow, very nice, but remember: the big kid word is 'train'. Johnnie, your turn."
"I read a book called 'Winnie the Sh'." [big kid word for "poo" ]

Oh, and speaking of childish terms, in Australian and New Zealand English, "kindergarten" is commonly called "kindy".

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-22-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink