Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

The first time I tasted pine nuts I absolutely loved them. I use them all the time, and my favorite way to use them is in oven roasted broccoli.

Combine 3 pounds fresh broccoli florets, 5 fresh garlic cloves, minced, 5 tbsp olive oil, some salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a large baking pan or cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until the broccoli just begins to brown on the tips. Remove from the oven and squeeze a fresh lemon over the broccoli, top with 1/2 cup fresh shaved Parmesan and 1/2 cup (or more) toasted pine nuts.

I like to toast pine nuts and eat them for a snack. I just spread them on a baking dish and bake at 350 for 5 minutes or so. Watch them closely so they don’t burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Bananas Foster in New Orleans back in 2005, 3 months before Katrina.

Barbeque Shrimp, also in New Orleans, and same trip as the one above. Very spicy.

Pad Kee Mow (or Drunken Noodles) at a Thai Restaurant about 17 years ago. I've eaten it many times since but that first restaurant made the best ~ very hot and spicy.

First visit at an Indian lunch buffet. I fell in love with all the heady spiced, aromatic food on my plate. That was in the late-90's.

This is a fun thread.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Chess squares

https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/chess-squares/

Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
If you ever end up in Des Moines, Ia (yeah, I know) go to two Mexican Restaurants.

Tasty Tacos - there a few around town - family owned. I have never, ever had better tacos. Ever. They used to do pepper rings made like onion rings. If they still do and you get them make sure you have antacid handy. They are delicious, but you pay for it later.

Mi Mexico in West Des Moines on University. Again family owned. Non-spicy Mexican and a delight. Order a house margarita. Don't get more than one if you are driving. They are the best tasting and strongest I have ever had.

I have yet to find a taco or tenderloin sandwich worth a damn in Las Vegas.

Oh, I almost forgot. My wife makes a yummy using pecan cake mix and peaches. Found a recipe. This is heaven in a pan. I need to give her a good back rub and do some begging...

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ch-crisp-58157

Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Avocados, the food that is so good and also so healthy. Love them.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Those sound delicious but wow, the calories! (1 1/2 cups of white sugar and 1 pound of icing sugar)

Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Lobster. I think I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time, yet remember every luscious bite.

Green Chili

Pizza. Mom had made "pizza" when I was little from canned biscuit dough and hamburger, but the first real pie was incredible. I've had a lot of good pizza over the years, but a lot more bad it seems. Most pizza today doesn't seem to have the same cheese, sauce, or crust as we used to get.

Properly Prepared Steak. Ok, It wasn't the first steak. I've had a lot of those over the years as well. A lot of them very good and in some first class steak houses around the country. But the best was in a local steak house in Colorado nearly 40 years ago (how did that time go by so fast). Menu was pretty set, about all you picked was the size of the steak. Salad, steak, beans, no ketchup anywhere in sight. No secret recipe, no special sauce. Just four ingredients -- steak, salt, pepper, fire. Ate there often while I was stationed in Colorado.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
my mother made Chilean sea bass when I was in my 30s and I can easily say I've never had anything as good since that one dish, which she has never made again.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Bananas Foster in New Orleans back in 2005, 3 months before Katrina.

Barbeque Shrimp, also in New Orleans, and same trip as the one above. Very spicy.

Pad Kee Mow (or Drunken Noodles) at a Thai Restaurant about 17 years ago. I've eaten it many times since but that first restaurant made the best ~ very hot and spicy.

First visit at an Indian lunch buffet. I fell in love with all the heady spiced, aromatic food on my plate. That was in the late-90's.

This is a fun thread.
I LOVE a good Indian buffet. I’ve been to some bad ones but when I find a good one it becomes part of my lunch rotation.

There is an excellent Indian buffet in Plainfield Indiana, which is near Indianapolis. The company I work for has a location there, and whenever I am there I go to the buffet for lunch. It’s all-you-can-eat, but they serve it behind the counter, cafeteria-style. It’s a family owned place, and the servers are always happy to tell you about each food item as they fill your plate. They use school cafeteria style plates that have dividers so your food doesn’t run together, excellent idea! And they make naan fresh to order and bring it to your table, the best naan ever! I would go just for the naan bread.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Savory waffles. I grew up thinking that waffles and pancakes had to be topped with something sweet - maple syrup, brown sugar, fruit, jam.

The first time I had a savory waffle was at a restaurant, it was served alongside my over east eggs. I loved it! And it was a revelation, I always thought waffles were supposed to be sweet.

After that I searched for savory waffle and pancake recipes and now I have quite a collection. I seldom make sweet waffles anymore as I greatly prefer savory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink