Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I appreciate a tender steak just as much as the next person, but I have to say, I really also enjoy a chewy and kind of tough London broil. There's no way to make it tender, but I do find its chewiness satisfying in a way. And I tend to find it very flavorful.

I also don't mind if poultry is dry too much - if there's a good sauce on it or reasonably moist side dishes, I truck along just fine. I mean, I PREFER a juicy chicken or turkey, but I remember my mother griping about how disgracefully dry the poultry was during one holiday dinner, and I just remember thinking how much I enjoyed the meal.

Am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Different strokes for different folks. Me, I like my steak really rare or really well done, nothing in between. You the one eating it, so you may as well enjoy

Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Me, I like my steak really rare or really well done, nothing in between. You the one eating it, so you may as well enjoy
Heh, that is quite the contrast. I guess we can both appreciate extremes with food.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I appreciate a tender steak just as much as the next person, but I have to say, I really also enjoy a chewy and kind of tough London broil. There's no way to make it tender, but I do find its chewiness satisfying in a way. And I tend to find it very flavorful.

I also don't mind if poultry is dry too much - if there's a good sauce on it or reasonably moist side dishes, I truck along just fine. I mean, I PREFER a juicy chicken or turkey, but I remember my mother griping about how disgracefully dry the poultry was during one holiday dinner, and I just remember thinking how much I enjoyed the meal.

Am I crazy?

I love, in fact prefer, dry chicken

Old 03-16-2018, 02:01 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Fifty years ago my mom used to make schnitzel-style pork cutlets. I'm not sure what part of the hog they came from (I always thought the cheeks.) But they were a tough cut of meat that had been tenderized and were a budget meat. The flavor was wonderful and they were pleasantly chewy.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I really like the flavor of chuck steaks the boneless ones

They are traditionally chewy (tough) because it’s a working muscle

One of my fav kitchen gadget is a hand tenderizer
Or jaccard. They are only 3-5 dollars on eBay . They pierce the
Muscle with many needles. It works great

It’s funny you posted about chewy meat
Many will scoff at a tough round or chuck steak
Saying it’s tough as leather and they won’t buy it
But they will buy jerky which can have 5x the chewy factor of any steak

Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Dry chicken is not pleasant to me, at all. Steak I can tolerate a bit drier but not much.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I like my chicken or turkey to be pleasantly moist. I consider dry meat or poultry to be overcooked, and if I am paying for a nice meal, I am perturbed with being served overcooked protein.

But to each her own. I think flavor is better if the meat ot poultry is not overcooked. By the way, I’ve had overcooked fish too.

One of my favorite roasts is a pork sirloin. It always turns out just right for me. Not dry, but slightly moist and somewhat flavorful.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I really like the flavor of chuck steaks the boneless ones

They are traditionally chewy (tough) because it’s a working muscle

One of my fav kitchen gadget is a hand tenderizer
Or jaccard. They are only 3-5 dollars on eBay . They pierce the
Muscle with many needles. It works great

It’s funny you posted about chewy meat
Many will scoff at a tough round or chuck steak
Saying it’s tough as leather and they won’t buy it
But they will buy jerky which can have 5x the chewy factor of any steak
Just bought some round steak last night. Can't wait to cook it!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
No. If I'm not enjoying a dish I just don't eat it. And I'm generally not a big steak eater but chewy? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink