Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 02:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I am in a lazy mood, I use wonton dough to make them.
They are very delicate and the dough is thin.
I make a big batch, put them on a baking sheet , sprinkle lightly with flour, freeze, and then move to the freezing bags. Otherwise they will stick together...
All cherries, berries and plums are suitable to make pierogies. They are delicious!!!

When my grams and mom were alive my favorite way to prepare pierogi was to first boil them, chill in the fridge, then pan fry them.

I've never played with wonton skins, would that be doable with them?

Last edited by burdell; 05-25-2018 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Same..should be hitting our farm markets mid June. They are just too good to be cooked...

My Dad and I used to go through bowls of them in season..nothing left but a hugh mound of cherry stones...
my dad would wave his hand over the pits, and quote the line from an old Western movie when an Indian Chief said;
'Today, many dead and wounded, tomorrow...many more to die.' :~}

Thanks for that! Laugh of the day if not the week!

Old 05-25-2018, 02:46 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Mmmmmm

Old 05-25-2018, 03:18 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Beautiful, sweet, red and burgundy cherries....

what do you make with yours...?

I never make anything as I eat them by the handfuls, then they're are gone.
By the handful. Delicious. Possibly the only cherry that's better is Ranier.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I haven't been to a WF in a while, has there been any lowering of prices since the Amazon buy-out?
$6.99/lb. tonight. I opted for the $2.50/qt. organic strawberries to go with cheese and bread tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
By the handful. Delicious. Possibly the only cherry that's better is Ranier.

Oh for heaven's sake...

I should have titled this thread CHERRIES so you wouldn't argue about what type you think is best.....

Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Oh for heaven's sake...

I should have titled this thread CHERRIES so you wouldn't argue about what type you think is best.....

I think I'll have to do some comparison munching during the season. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Oh for heaven's sake...

I like to add pieces of bing cherries to homemade vanilla ice cream for the final few minutes of cycle. In Montana you can buy cherries direct from the grower farm stands at Flathead Lake in July.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:53 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
So glad that this thread was started. Cherries are by far, my most favorite, favorite food in the world. I prefer them to any type of elaborate cake or dessert or anything else. When I was growing up, they weren't so expensive and you could pick them out from a big pile in the store. They don't grow where I live so they are usually imported from Washington State or California. Now, they are prepackaged and they put too many in each package/bag to eat before they get spoiled. I've had bing and more recently ranier, but what are Anne's cherries and the others? Do they look different from Bing cherries?

In season, which is very short, they average $3-4 per lb. Sometimes, they go lower for a week, but lower than $2.99 lb. is rare. I don't care. I will splurge on them. Sometimes, around Christmas time, the stores sell them imported from Chile for some outlandish price, but I will buy them just once anyway to have them in December as a very special treat.

My mother used to make piergoen, but they had either potato or cheese filling. I never had a pierogie with fruit filling. I'd like to try that. They do sell cherry and cheese knishes around here, but have never seen cherries in a pierogie.

They usually start selling them here in June and through July. By August, it's rare or the prices have gone sky high.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 PM

32,656 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You guys are seeing cherries in the market? I haven't seen any here and I'm close to the cherry orchards in Washington.

I'll have to watch for them. I bought a package of Phyllo today. I could do something nice with that and some cherries. Actually, I wanted puff pastry, but the store didn't gave any, so phyllo it will be.

I've had 6 cherry trees, which the birds enjoyed very much. I'd be lucky to get a cupful of Royal Anns for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink