Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times

Advertisements

Best donuts I had were here in the U.S. (haven't traveled outside much, don't gots the funds!) but they were Brazilian donuts- the BEST!! Some sugar, and not too much. Fried just perfectly right. And mostly of all, they were medium small sizes, fresh, too! Amazing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 09:02 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Prego has finally started offering "no sugar added" pasta sauce; even then, it naturally has like 9 grams of sugar from the tomatoes! About time.
Read the label - Hunt's makes a "No Sugar Added" pasta sauce - with artificial sweeteners in it!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sugar and salt, it keeps the money flowing into food companies and our taste buds loyally additicted to their products

We also have “too sweat” breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with massive portion sizes.

There is zero hope for the health of Americans. Part of the blame is greedy food companies and the other part is lazy people.

Former Mayor Bloomberg proposed a simple cup size limit on soft drinks in New York, and New Yorkers almost rioted. It was the most bizarre response anyone could expect. It was soda for crying out loud and people were so mad.
I agree with this. Highly processed foods almost always contain too much sugar and/or salt. I like sweets, but some desserts are just tooooo sweet for me. And I challenge you to find a restaurant salad dressing that is not sweet. Why would you want sugar in your lettuce? Apparently many of us do.

Another offender is sweet pizza sauce. You get plenty of carbs in a concentrated tomato sauce, but apparently we like sugar to enhance the sweetness. And then there is bottled barbeque sauce. Most bottled bbq sauces are full of HFCS which is corn syrup.

This desire for sweet flavors is pandered to, in every way. Even in coffee. In salads. In “ethnic” foods like Thai. In burger “special sauces.” In coffee drinks.

Back to donuts; I like a plain cake donut. If it is a good donut, that’s all I need, and anything more is redundant. If is a mediocre donut, frosting and sprinkles won’t make it good. It will just make it sweeter.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Read pizza sauce labels. We only buy the bottled, inexpensive yet sweetener-free kind that a supermarket chain sells under its own brand. You don’t have to spend $$$$ to do this.

I also prefer Pomi plain tomatoes, either crushed or otherwise. With some time to mix in herbs of my choice, it makes excellent spaghetti sauce. No cans here, either. Cans add an unpleasant taste to tomatoes.

Now back to the OP about overly sweet desserts, which pizza sauce is not.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Read the label - Hunt's makes a "No Sugar Added" pasta sauce - with artificial sweeteners in it!

Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I definitely have a sweet tooth, but many desserts are far too sweet. I don't like fudge, pralines, most cake frostings, etc.

Sugar in spaghetti sauce is generally just a touch, to cut the acid from the tomatoes.
Good fudge isn't sugary so much as creamy. Substituting sugar for cream is a cost-cutting measure. Cream is a luxury ingredient.

It's the same with American ice cream; all those candy-flavored, cookie-infused flavors. Ice cream originally got its flavor from the high cream content, and had far less sugar. Now it's made with a combination of skim milk and full milk, or the high-end brands actually use some cream, diluted with skim milk powder, or some such, then sweetened with an excess of sugar. You can still get full-cream, low-sugar ice cream in Russia. If you ever happen to visit Moscow or St. Pete's, be sure to get some from the street vendors; the best comes in little paper cups. Once you've tried it, you'll never be able to go back to "regular" ice cream anywhere else.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I associate brioche as French, and I like buying the chocolate chip brioche from Aldi’s. They only have a hint of sweetness. I haven’t been to France, but I’ve heard people are surprised that the pastries aren’t very sweet.

Contrast this to the Krusteas chocolate chip pancake mix I bought, but wound up throwing away. It was way too sweet.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:09 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I associate brioche as French, and I like buying the chocolate chip brioche from Aldi’s. They only have a hint of sweetness. I haven’t been to France, but I’ve heard people are surprised that the pastries aren’t very sweet.

Contrast this to the Krusteas chocolate chip pancake mix I bought, but wound up throwing away. It was way too sweet.
I've noticed since I was a kid, that the packaged cookies at the grocery store have gotten sweeter. Has anyone else noticed this? I think producers have increased the sugar content, to keep people hooked on sugar. Sugar is a kind of drug; you have withdrawal symptoms, if you try to quit all sugar, and it certainly isn't healthy.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've noticed since I was a kid, that the packaged cookies at the grocery store have gotten sweeter. Has anyone else noticed this? I think producers have increased the sugar content, to keep people hooked on sugar. Sugar is a kind of drug; you have withdrawal symptoms, if you try to quit all sugar, and it certainly isn't healthy.
I'm not sure it's an evil plot. Corn is a cheap ingredient, hence corn syrup is cheap and can take the place of more expensive ingredients; also, people have clamored in recent years for lower-fat items (they're wrong about how weight gain works - sugar and carbs make you fat; not dietary fat - but that's another post for another thread), and - at least in desserts -- (more) sweetener usually takes the place of (less) fat.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Sugary, processed pasta sauce is an easy one to get away from:

Empty a 28 oz. can of stewed tomatoes to a pot, add 1/2 cup of butter or olive oil, a whole large onion cut in half, and 1/4 tsp salt.

Simmer for at least 1 hour, remove onion*.

Mash up the chunks to desired consistency (use potato masher or wooden spoon for chunky sauce, or immersion blender for silky smooth sauce).

Add salt and herbs to taste.

Literally less than 5 minutes of prep for a delicious, authentic sauce made to your own taste and nutritional desires. Due to the high acidity, it lasts for over a week in the fridge and of course you can freeze it as well.

*you can use the onion as you wish, sometimes I chop it and add it back to the sauce, sometimes I save it to sautee as a side dish at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink