Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:59 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Honestly, this is a major problem I have with desserts in this country. While I have never been a major sweets fan, I do enjoy something every now and then but usually don't due to the sweetness level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,998 times
Quote:
but you can still be assaulted by Boyds just about anywhere.

Though (thankfully) not for much longer unless somebody comes along to buy them out.

Quote:
And no, Starbucks is not good coffee. They make their money by dumping sugar into mediocre coffee.

You'd probably hate Brewed Awakenings then. It's definitely better coffee than Star?ucks (then again just about anything is). It's not the place to go if you don't have a sweet tooth.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:23 PM

905 posts, read 791,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I just had a donut. Already sweet as is (it's a donut), but then glazed, then frosted, then adorned with sprinkles, then topped with cream. I feel like I need an insulin injection. Something tells me this trend is more for the eye than the tongue; likewise the cupcakes -- two inches high, and sweet enough with nothing on them -- with six inches of frosting on top. I find all of our desserts too sweet compared to the European versions I've sampled. Anyone else?
Sweeter, yes. Also better on average. Too sweet is pretty hard to get to IMO.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,476,032 times
Scientists say different cultures have different “wiring” to detect sweetness. What tastes overly sweet to one would be mildly sweet to another.

Europeans and Asians have a higher sensitivity to sugar. Africans have a lower sensitivity. These traits appear to be rooted in what types of foods were available in the immediate area.

That said, I find it interesting that to me the most disgustingly sweet desserts/dessert ingredients are meringue, marshmallows and marzipan, all of which have Euro roots.

So no, “too sweet” is not an American phenomenon.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,909,474 times
It is a consumer decision. Manufacturers produce what sells. Make your own deserts and you are in control of the ingredients.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with this. I have had "cheesecakes" that were so light and foamy they were just not right.

Yesterday my daughter made a pound cake for her grandmother's birthday. It, too, was very light, airy and dry. I don't know why because it had all the right pound cake ingredients (cup of butter, four eggs, etc.). It was a very good cake as far as it went, but pound cake should also be dense and not dry.
The dense and heavy NYC deli cheesecake is the way to go. No sweetened graham cracker crust below and certainly no fruity goop on top!

Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It is a consumer decision. Manufacturers produce what sells. Make your own deserts and you are in control of the ingredients.
I don't necessarily agree. I think, for convenience' sake (and increasingly due to the the lack of time, skill, and even supplies at home for baking), people will buy what's available and either LEARN to love it or hate it but eat it anyway, as I did that "dessert" donut.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We buy Mexican Coke (in glass bottles) when we buy it at all. It's made with sugar, not corn syrup, and is readily available here.

Trader Joe's also does not use high fructose corn syrup in its products. That's one of the main reasons I do most of my shopping there; the food just tastes better. I make a lot of things from scratch too, but when I do buy something ready-made, I can't take the corn syrup any more.
So the high-fructose corn syrup is actually sweeter than -- or at least tastes sweeter than -- sugar itself; is that the conclusion (and the problem)?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,036 times
The thing that surprises me when I visit the US is how sweet foods are when I don't expect to taste sweet at all. Like one time I had a decent burger that was totally ruined by the sweet bun. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My berry and apple pies are always a big hit because I don't over-sugar and add a little lemon juice to bring up the acid. They are tangy and flavorful. As an example, my typical Marionberry pie has 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn starch for thickening, and 2 tbsp of lemon juice.

Even American tarts are not tart. You would think the name would give them a clue. I have given up on finding a decent factory fruit pie in America, and just make my own.
This is how I make my pies as well. Pie is the only baking I tend to do. Other than ice cream and pie, I don't like desserts much. Store bought pies are always disappointing.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So the high-fructose corn syrup is actually sweeter than -- or at least tastes sweeter than -- sugar itself; is that the conclusion (and the problem)?
I don’t drink much coke, but I have done a blind taste test between Mexican and American coke, and I was surprised that I could not tell the difference, from the way people obsess over Mexican coke.

Then I did Pepsi Throwback vs Pepsi, because I honestly thought it was way better, with similar results. We definitely taste with our minds first.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink