Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
In reality they are keeping at least some incompetent farms in business making us as consumers pay higher prices for our cheese as well as being taxed to hold up prices on milk. Double whammy.
Not to mention forcing those of us who don't consume dairy products for ethical reasons to pay for them anyway and support an industry whose practices we find disgusting and inhumane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 05:34 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
One thing the government might also use surplus cheese for is for the armed services they have to supply. Just a thought. Base commissaries?
Probably. But most MRE's don't contain cheese per se, just squeezable cheese sauce packets, to put on hardtack crackers. And base commissaries today probably sell better cheese than the likes of Kraft Singles.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
the loaf that we got in 77 was a extra sharp cheddar, it would dry your mouth out it was so sharp. mama use to mix with whipped potatoes , to have cheesy potatoes

Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
all the money spent to remove the fat from our diets only to be added back in the form of cheese.

Are people still afraid of fat?

I love most any cheese you throw at me. hopefully the giant surplus will mean lower prices

Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
When my husband and I [we are from the same hometown] reached Jr High age and stayed for lunch at the school, if we happened to buy our lunch [which happened quite rarely] the go-to item was a grilled cheese sandwich which sold for 25 cents. A cafeteria lady grilled them nine or 16 at a time in a big grill machine where the top came down so they cooked evenly on both sides. She got them off quickly, put them on a plate and sliced them in half, and added a pickle.

When we got to high school, more of the same, those 25 cent grilled cheese sandwiches. How I craved them! But. alas, it was usually a pbj sandwich for me, as I brown-bagged it most days! I know now that those grilled cheese sandwiches were so cheap because the USDA supplied the cheese cheaply to the schools!

I have been out of school over four decades, and I still remember those cafeteria grilled cheese sandwiches. Umm! Yummy!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
When my husband and I [we are from the same hometown] reached Jr High age and stayed for lunch at the school, if we happened to buy our lunch [which happened quite rarely] the go-to item was a grilled cheese sandwich which sold for 25 cents. A cafeteria lady grilled them nine or 16 at a time in a big grill machine where the top came down so they cooked evenly on both sides. She got them off quickly, put them on a plate and sliced them in half, and added a pickle.

When we got to high school, more of the same, those 25 cent grilled cheese sandwiches. How I craved them! But. alas, it was usually a pbj sandwich for me, as I brown-bagged it most days! I know now that those grilled cheese sandwiches were so cheap because the USDA supplied the cheese cheaply to the schools!

I have been out of school over four decades, and I still remember those cafeteria grilled cheese sandwiches. Umm! Yummy!

For the record, the USDA provides a number of commodity products to hospitals, schools, and prisons. The surplus cheese is only only one small portion of the commodity spend.

The good part of the commodity program is that it reduces the overall costs to running a lunch & now, breakfast program. The bad part is that a lot of the stuff provided is of pretty low quality compared to what you would normally buy on the open market. We had no complaints about the quality of the cheese and butter but the beef and pork was another issue.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

my high school the favorite was the hamburger pizza, and most people hated the soybean hamburger

damn i miss those soybean hamburgers, had to coat with ketchup and mustash to get them to slide down

Old 07-02-2018, 09:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the loaf that we got in 77 was a extra sharp cheddar, it would dry your mouth out it was so sharp. mama use to mix with whipped potatoes , to have cheesy potatoes
We got what was supposed to be mild cheddar, but it was pretty much orange, American type cheese. It wasn't tasty.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 PM

819 posts, read 572,674 times
Quote:
One thing the government might also use surplus cheese for is for the armed services they have to supply. Just a thought. Base commissaries?
I have never seen government commodities, like cheese, sold at the commissary. I don't think the commissary could sell them, even if they wanted to.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my high school the favorite was the hamburger pizza, and most people hated the soybean hamburger

damn i miss those soybean hamburgers, had to coat with ketchup and mustash to get them to slide down
I don't remember a lot from the school cafeteria. Burritos with bean-and-cheese filling were disgusting: they made El Monterey ones taste good in comparison. Pizza was great, with real cheese too. Cheeseburgers were lukewarm with cheese not even melted, but still edible (I think they were beef, with turkey mixed in to cut costs). Steamed vegetables were flavorless. Salt and pepper, let alone hot sauce, were not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
I have never seen government commodities, like cheese, sold at the commissary. I don't think the commissary could sell them, even if they wanted to.
I agree. Our armed forces deserve better. I don't think they serve that stuff even in Basic Training/Boot Camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink