Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am in ...

But if I remember right, when they were handing out government cheese, it was all American cheese. At least the two truckloads of government that my kitchen was sent.

A long time ago, the Feds had so much surplus cheddar, they were handing out 2 lb. bricks of it, in our town. There were no qualifications to receive it, other than the recipients had to have a pulse. If there were 10 people living in your house, they could all go through the line and get their 2 lbs. I had several housemates at the time and they all went through each of the several lines. We got tired of all that cheese, after a week. It was good quality, but mild in flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:52 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Reminds me of that "Notyocheese" joke I heard in high school back in the '70's.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:38 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Reminds me of that "Notyocheese" joke I heard in high school back in the '70's.

I thought it was the "Nacho cheese" joke.

I have tasted USDA cheese in the early 70's and in the 1990's, the earlier stuff had flavor, the newer stuff is just like Velveeta. Blech.

I think the problem with treating milk like a commodity and having the gov't interfere with prices, is that it is NOT like any other commodity. Wheat prices down? Plant soybeans next year. Soybeans down, plant corn. But if you have cows, they need to eat and get milked regardless of what the price is. You can't just trade them in for something else. Either you are in the milk business, or you sell your herd and go to work in a store. We used to live in an area with dairy farms and there were years when the price they got for milk was below the price of production. It may be that way today, I haven't kept up. The big farmer who was milking 150 cows for a co-op dairy that he belonged to, was losing money like crazy. His neighbor across the street, who was milking maybe 20 Guernseys and making specialty cheese that they shipped all over North America, was doing fine.

I generally buy shredded cheddar and mozza for cooking, I regularly get it at around $4-5 a pound. To me that is cheap.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I thought it was the "Nacho cheese" joke.

I have tasted USDA cheese in the early 70's and in the 1990's, the earlier stuff had flavor, the newer stuff is just like Velveeta. Blech.

I think the problem with treating milk like a commodity and having the gov't interfere with prices, is that it is NOT like any other commodity. Wheat prices down? Plant soybeans next year. Soybeans down, plant corn. But if you have cows, they need to eat and get milked regardless of what the price is. You can't just trade them in for something else. Either you are in the milk business, or you sell your herd and go to work in a store. We used to live in an area with dairy farms and there were years when the price they got for milk was below the price of production. It may be that way today, I haven't kept up. The big farmer who was milking 150 cows for a co-op dairy that he belonged to, was losing money like crazy. His neighbor across the street, who was milking maybe 20 Guernseys and making specialty cheese that they shipped all over North America, was doing fine.

I generally buy shredded cheddar and mozza for cooking, I regularly get it at around $4-5 a pound. To me that is cheap.
That is what the kid told his mother, but what I wrote was what the guy chasing him was actually saying when yelling at the thief to bring it back.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The 32oz blocks of generic mass produced cheddar sold at Kroger are usually $8, but often go on sale for $5.

That is $2.50/lb. or less than 16 cents per ounce. Pretty damn affordable.

It won't win any cheese awards, but it is real, natural cheese and reasonably tasty enough by itself and fine for sandwiches and melting.

I would have to be pretty damn poor before I give up cheese as a part of my diet.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I graduated HS in mid 60's and I remember them handing out commodities when I was in Jr High. The peanut butter rather hard and dry but we ate it anyway.
My dad liked that commodity peanut butter because it was like the peanut butter when he was younger. All the oil was on top of the peanut butter and you had to stir it up. He loved it that way.
I couldn't bring my self to try to canned pork in the commodities but others said it was pretty good. We couldn't eat all 4 boxes of cheese we got but a couple I worked with paid $5/box for what we didn't want or need.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:35 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is I would buy more cheese if it wasnt so expensive.
Back when I consumed dairy, I only bought cheese at the commissary. It was much too expensive for me at other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink