Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Those Kraft blends are pretty good. I was using them until my kiddo became allergic to potato. Now I'm grating cheese from different blocks, which is much less convenient.
Are they using potato starch to prevent clumping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
If you watch the sales prices and/or buy the generic brands, a lot of shredded cheese blends are cheaper than buying it by the block and grating it yourself.
That and convenience is why I buy them (usually can get Lucerne brand for $1.50 - $2.00 per bag), but there is no denying that fresh grated cheese is a far superior product. They add a bunch of starch and stuff to keep that pre-grated cheese from clumping.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Ready to eat pasta is mind-boggling to me. How difficult it is to cook pasta?!

And if I was traveling / on vacation without access to cookware then I’d probably just go for a microwaveable meal, sauce and all.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:48 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I bought one of these expertly paired bags of Kraft cheese because it had a recipe on the back I wanted to try for Macaroni and cheese. It was good but not creamy enough. I think more cheese was needed. Live and learn. it was on sale for $2.50 a bag which is cheap by me.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:16 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Okay. Is Le Whif silly enough?

https://newatlas.com/le-whif-chocola...nhaling/11502/

Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I would guess that 2 packages of different cheeses can be purchased for about the same price as this "new" product.
You guessed wrong. The cheese blends are the same price as any other cheese by the same brand.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:39 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You guessed wrong. The cheese blends are the same price as any other cheese by the same brand.
Yep. I just pulled up my supermarket's app, and confirmed that the Kraft "Expertly Paired" Cheddar & Swiss Shredded Cheese (8 oz.) is exactly the same price as the Kraft Shredded Mozzarella (8 oz.)

Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
ummmmm, here it comes, i just know it.... blow back from the die-hard Oprah fans, but those O-That's Good foods in the meat department put out by a woman who has yet to lose weight eating "sensibly" if my eyes are not deceiving me yo-yoing up and down, up and down for years and years and no i do not count when she lost that truck load of fat she hauled onto a stage because not two months later, she could not fit into those size 10 jeans. They already yanked two of the original choices in that food line because 1. there was not one minute piece of broccoli in the broccoli/rice and my store refused to carry the creamy parmesan pasta because so so many customers returned it, complaining it tasted like cardboard. I wonder how many Weight Watcher's points are in one serving.... how do the rich get richer and richer? Tie in "natural" food with your Weight Watcher's profits and sell it to the adoring masses who will totally believe promises behind supposed quick fixes and not the evidence of years of gaining/losing constantly. Even Oprah admits she eats for all the wrong reasons and has yet to be honest about her weight loss journey.... even Bob Greene has taken her to task on that. She claims she has lost 40 pounds in the past 2 1/2 years as a Weight Watcher's spokesperson. Now let's see if she continues to lose, or starts yo-yoing again. I might buy her products if they improve the quality and all the proceeds go to funding lost cost weight watcher's meetings for the poor, who have the worst of it trying to lose weight in this century of deeply slashed food stamps. I have had a friend on the wait list for almost 2 years now for reduced cost weight watcher meetings because the need is so overwhelming in this state suffocating under fatback laced into EVERYTHING ... and anything served at least 3 to 4 times a week is fried in that same fatback or buckets of Crisco.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The television is on in the background for some noise. I was 1/2 listening when one commercial caught my attention.

Kraft is now packaging cheese blends specifically for egg dishes and macaroni and cheese. They call it "Expertly Paired." I can't imagine needing to buy a shredded cheese specifically "designed" for eggs. I would guess that 2 packages of different cheeses can be purchased for about the same price as this "new" product.

I suppose in the days of full meals/recipes delivered for prep at home it makes sense as a way to increase profits.

Silly product to me.

You're right. You don't need to buy pre-packaged cheese (plus the rest of the crap in there) designed for eggs or other dishes.

I don't know what some of these people, generally aghast at anything prepackaged with additives, are making that requires so many blocks of cheese, but I can grate ("shred") an 8-oz block in less than a minute--and it's pure cheese. And I don't need blends.

The "marketing" is the same as with other prepackaged convenience products--trying to convince us that we suddenly can't live without it.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:05 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Ready to eat pasta is mind-boggling to me. How difficult it is to cook pasta?!

And if I was traveling / on vacation without access to cookware then I’d probably just go for a microwaveable meal, sauce and all.
And an old Italian grandmother may say to you, dried pasta is mind-boggling to me, how difficult is it to make some noodles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink