Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:06 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I am usually able to find it in the Jewish section of the stores elnina.
Agree. Certain parts of our town have larger populations of Jewish citizens than others. The grocery stores in those areas happen to have a larger number of items that interest the Jewish population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Agree. Certain parts of our town have larger populations of Jewish citizens than others. The grocery stores in those areas happen to have a larger number of items that interest the Jewish population.
That's an interesting point. Jewish populations strongly influence the neighborhoods they live in. And since Jewish cuisine has many fish dishes---which is influenced by kosher laws and fish being parve---Jewish neighborhoods are a good place to find pickled herring. Also lox and smoked salmon.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:25 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's an interesting point. Jewish populations strongly influence the neighborhoods they live in. And since Jewish cuisine has many fish dishes---which is influenced by kosher laws and fish being parve---Jewish neighborhoods are a good place to find pickled herring. Also lox and smoked salmon.

If you want a wide selection of herrings in the Chicago area, attend the Julborg at Tre Kronor where they present approximately seven different presentations of herring.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=56092

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I live in San Antonio and for years tried to find it in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could travel somewhere or order online, but the question remain, why the marinated herring isn't a bit more popular in the US, especially in Texas ...

I am not interested in canned herring. That one is easier to buy, although not popular.
I don't want fresh/frozen herring either.

Catch and smoke eel by myself? Isn't going to happen. And if it's so abundant here, why isn't sold in stores?

Smoked oysters are awesome. I buy canned fish frequently, that's probably why I know a lot about them, what's available and where to buy...
Well, Im not from Texas, but most Southerners look at eel as a mere nuisance that scares the real fish away, and will kill it and throw it away when they catch one. It also releases a nasty oil when caught, which some people find off-putting. My grandfather used to use the fishing line to beat it on the water until unconscious and then cut it off at the hook/head to avoid the nasty oil.

Maybe an employee in one of the Sushi restaurants can hook you up with a source for fresh eel, if there is some form of nearby 'Chinatown' or other Asian retail area, they may have canned smoked eel.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
My husband and I love pickled herring but don't live in "pickled herring land". We found large jars of it, however, at Walmart. I have also purchased it from MarinaMarket.com located in the Seattle area. Most Scandinavian food websites sell it.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM

314 posts, read 237,368 times
I can find it in most stores like Whole Foods , Mariano’s, and also small specialty stores. They need to be refrigerated so they are usually by the fresh salmon / caviar isle. Costco also has really good prices on them. I grew up eating them so I usually have a jar on hand

Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
... why is so hard to buy one?
Herring is a very unpopular fish in the US.
When you go to a store, to the fish aisle - tuna is the king. Tuna in oil, tuna in light oil and tuna in water. Sometimes in tomato. Sooooo boring! There might be a can or two of salmon and mackerel, perhaps few sardines, a trout if you're lucky and that generally covers the fish assortment. Everything it's in oil or water. Lately mostly water. Few in tomato, or smoked.
All good, but there is more fish in the water. What about herring, bullhead, cod, pollock, sprats, flounder, pilchard... etc. Or smoked eel?
I love pickles herring, but it's almost impossible to buy where I live.
Go online and find ethnic stores. They usually have a Al- at th3 start or a Arabic name. You’ll find all the stuff you want. I grew up with herring, nutella, Biscotti, pita bread, feta cheese, Greek olives, Vegeta, Cinzano, Mediterranean type foods and eats. Most stores today are starting to have a ethnic isle.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:57 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Nope. Not here.

Checked Walmart and Costco. We don't have Aldi in SA, but I am sure they don't have it in Houston. There are plenty of all kinds in Europe. I never saw any in the US.

Costco has only tuna in water or oil. Tin cans. If you see it in your store Jewish section, in Walmart, Costco or Aldi - please be kind and post a picture here, so I can go to my local stores, show them and perhaps be able to request it.

Thank you kindly!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
I live in San Antonio and for years tried to find it in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could travel somewhere or order online, but the question remain, why the marinated herring isn't a bit more popular in the US, especially in Texas ...
I've never been in a large chain grocery store that didn't have it. And that includes Costco. In fact, according to Instacart, it is available at Costco's in San Antonio. Just plug in your zip code. (I plugged in 78201.)

https://www.instacart.com/costco/pro...sauce-26-0-oz#

Old 11-05-2018, 10:21 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
... why is so hard to buy one?
Herring is a very unpopular fish in the US.
When you go to a store, to the fish aisle - tuna is the king. Tuna in oil, tuna in light oil and tuna in water. Sometimes in tomato. Sooooo boring! There might be a can or two of salmon and mackerel, perhaps few sardines, a trout if you're lucky and that generally covers the fish assortment. Everything it's in oil or water. Lately mostly water. Few in tomato, or smoked.
All good, but there is more fish in the water. What about herring, bullhead, cod, pollock, sprats, flounder, pilchard... etc. Or smoked eel?
I love pickles herring, but it's almost impossible to buy where I live.
Are you looking in the right spot in the supermarket? Its not kept with canned fish - its usually in the open-faced chill cabinets, along with the smoked salmon and smoked trout.

I lived in Greenpoint for a while back in the day and the Polish delis there used to keep whole pickled herring in a plastic-lidded barrel right there on the floor. Self-serve with a handy pair of tongs and some plastic bags. Next to the self-serve barrels of dill pickles.

You can sometimes find smoked eel (Japanese style) in the freezer cabinet.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
What a shame hat there is no pickled herring in Texas. No Polish, German, Russian or general European food stores. Seems odd.

Maybe by the time people migrate to Texas they lose their taste for the foods of their ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink