Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times

Advertisements

I am making the salad as one of my contributions to Christmas Eve dinner. I think I am going to do a big Italian style salad with lettuce that I shred up thinly (romaine, yes the humble iceburg and radicchio). I will add halved kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, marinated artichokes, thinly sliced pepperoncini and top all with homemade croutons, crispy capers and plenty of freshly grated parmesan. To make crispy capers, heat a small skillet and add capers (no juice). Let them sizzle away and they will dry out and get crispy. They are a delicious bit of salty crunch on top of your salad.

dressing:
1 clove garlic
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper

In a large bowl, mash the garlic to a paste with a generous pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, vinegar, and oregano, then whisk in the olive oil. Season with pepper. Add all of the remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve right away.

I've seen some beautiful pears this week and blood oranges are just about in season, so I may change my mind and do something along those lines too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
After the iceberg lettuce thread, I'm now thinking small wedge salads with blue cheese, bacon, tomatoes and a homemade blue cheese dressing. Hmmmmm

Old 12-14-2018, 01:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
elegant salad....im thinking steak tips & bacon ..if you insist on something green....throw a few spinach leaves in

Old 12-15-2018, 04:51 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
As long as the salad is labeled as having nuts, it's fine. Many people would not expect a salad to have nuts, so I would hope someone made it clear that nuts were included before beforehand. Or, bring the nuts separately and people can add them if they want.
I make what I make, if someone has a concern, then they can ask. We've hosted a dinner where I knew one of the guests was vegan, so the whole meal was vegan and something the omnivores would enjoy as well. If I don't know ahead if someone has an allergy, not my problem. When I do a crawfish boil or steam a mess of blue crab, if someone doesn't like them, either don't come or be satisfied with the sides. BTW, I will show someone how to open, clean and pick a steamed crab once, after that I have business to attend to, crab and beer. Little kids are the only exception.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So I thinking: I like figs. Even dried figs. Figs are unusual, regarded as kinda special. So I googled salad with dried figs (can't get fresh this time of year.)

And I found this recipe from Susan Spicer. I rarely pay much attention to what chef (if any) developed the recipe. But one of my most memorable meals ever was at Bayonne, Spicer's restaurant in New Orleans. We're talking 15+ years ago.

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/gree...ry-vinaigrette

I'm hesitant to include the capers. And no, I'm not likely to do a test run. Thoughts?

So I made this last night to go with dinner. Damn, it was GOOD.

This sounded so good and so weird that I did something I hardle ever do: A test run. I used black mission figs, and would probably opt for golden figs next time. (SO GREAT that this calls for dried figs instead of the hard-to-source and limited season fresh figs). I used baby spring greens, and would do the same but add more arugula (the bitter taste of those greens will mix very nicely with the sweet taste of the salad). And I only had crappy blue cheese, which will be upgraded to the good stuff for Christmas.

Highly recommend this one for something very usual and still light.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
After the iceberg lettuce thread, I'm now thinking small wedge salads with blue cheese, bacon, tomatoes and a homemade blue cheese dressing. Hmmmmm
I agree and this is a delicious alternative to just a plain salad.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree and this is a delicious alternative to just a plain salad.

The problem was that an entire wedge is just too large for this meal. smaller wedges just didn't 'hold together' well. So it would have ended up a deconstructed wedge salad, which tastes wonderful, but doens't look very pretty. . .

Old 12-20-2018, 01:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Here is an orange and fennel salad that tastes great!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1946368

1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced

2 medium oranges, peeled

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries

Place the sliced fennel in a salad bowl. Slice oranges to divide flesh sections and add to bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper. Toss, top with sweetened cranberries and serve.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
This is a go-to for us year after year: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...entType=Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes