Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I will give it a try!

We miss not having the availability of certain foods that we had when living in the Northeast. Almost impossible to get fresh seafood, lamb or veal in the food stores unless it’s ordered beforehand.

We also miss the diversity of ethnic restaurants here but at least we are foodies and we’re not opposed to cooking.

I have learned to make a pretty decent sauerbraten in the slow cooker though so I can enjoy some German dishes!
As Elnina said, you can use just about any meat for schnitzel. If you use pork, it's called Jagerschnitzel. I serve it with red cabbage and
spaetzle. I used to make my own spaetzle but there's a european (russian centric) deli near me that sells really good imported spaetzle.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Years ago after reading how the expensive pale looking veal came to be like that I never touched it again.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I have no problem with veal, other than the price. Only one grocery around here sells it and it's out of my budget for weekly shopping. While I like veal parmigiana, I really love weiner schnitzel as someone has mentioned above. Just no German restaurants around here. I haven't been able to capture the flavors of German food when I've tried it at home.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just no German restaurants around here. I haven't been able to capture the flavors of German food when I've tried it at home.
Same here. And I can't capture the flavors either. Meat taste different... other stuff too.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
I have no problem with veal, other than the price. Only one grocery around here sells it and it's out of my budget for weekly shopping. While I like veal parmigiana, I really love weiner schnitzel as someone has mentioned above. Just no German restaurants around here. I haven't been able to capture the flavors of German food when I've tried it at home.
Yes, but’s it’s pretty easy to come up with a very tasty chicken parmigiana if you carefully pound it and cook it properly and prevent it from drying out. It would be a real good runner up to veal parm since chicken is usually a little more tender.

Although I’ve noticed that veal does have a little stronger texture so it’s excellent for using it to make a rollatini, stuffed with some cheese, spices in a brown mushroom sauce.
What tastes better than that in a good Italian restaurant❓❓

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-10-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I am afraid that this might be off topic so I will keep it short. For schnitzel, pound the meat thin, then dip in beaten egg with a tablespoon or two of mustard mixed in, then dip in flour salt and pepper and fry quickly in oil. If you don't know how to make gravy buy Knorr Hunter Sauce Mix (Jaeger Sosse) You should be able to find it in a local grocery store but if not you can buy it on Amazon, 12 packs for about $1.10 each. Or just follow one of the dozens of recipes online. I serve it over a bed of red cabbage (I get it at the Russian deli) and serve with Spaetzle.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I see veal parmigano at Italian restaurants by me. But I don't go to chain restaurants. Now last night my DH had a grilled veal chop that was so scrumptious at this restaurant we ate last night.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:42 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Make it at home. Isn't different than any other breaded piece of meat or fish. Same technique.
Exactly! I prepare veal about once a month. Sometimes I top it with broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone, sometimes I 'parm' it.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:43 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Maybe people are more aware now of the cruelty involved with veal. And that's a good thing.
That's changing thanks to customer demand for humanely-raised product. I've been buying the Strauss brand of Veal for awhile due to their raising practices, which is now no different to how pasture-raised beef, pork and chicken is raised as well. You can find Strauss Veal at Whole Foods Market and Publix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/d...e-methods.html

Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I don't even know where to find veal anymore and it's probably too expensive. I know it's not at my local grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink