Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 03:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The only thing above that would make you fat would be the pasta, rice and potatoes. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and butter will not make you fat. These are the very foods that will help you lose weight, if that's all you eat. Your nutrition would be better, too.

Vegetables are mostly water and crunch. Salads are nothing but water and crunch. Fruit is high in fructose and will enlarge you like Paddy's pig. Just because a First Lady advises 5 to 7 servings a day of this stuff, doesn't mean you should do it. Where did she get her nutrition degree??

Animal foods are more nutrient dense. They do not cause heart disease or cancer. The UN is trying to get people to stop eating meat and go all plant-based, in the name of "planetary health". They don't care about OUR health, or else they are ignorant. Clean, organic meat is near impossible to buy. That's why I raise my own. It's more important than the veggie garden!
Just asking: do you have a “nutrition degree?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 05:06 PM

408 posts, read 259,988 times
Mom, can I eat french fries just till I need glasses?

Old 09-07-2019, 05:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Vegetables are mostly water and crunch. Salads are nothing but water and crunch.
Not really. Vegetables contain vitamins like folate, vitamin C, vitamin K1, and potassium, not to mention antioxidants. Most of those you can't get from animal foods (apart from liver, which contains some folate and vitamin C).

Old 09-07-2019, 05:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,769 times
When I hear this story on the radio I felt sad for this guy that fast food and junk food was even available for him to choose. If this had happened several decades ago, he would have starved instead. I doubt it would have come to that and he'd have been back onto normal food.

I usually have at least 5 fruit/veg per day...often more. E.g. today I had capsicum, mushrooms and avocado with my breakfast. Lunch was a salad with 5 portions of veg and dinner was a banana. But I do have the odd day where there's too much going on and I don't eat that well.

I'm not a huge fan of fruit as acidic foods gives me silent reflux, but I love all veg apart from Brussels sprouts.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
It seems to me that as omnivore humans, we are meant to eat many different things. IMO, you can often tell if an adult was poorly nourished as a child. But in the case reported in the press, it seems that teen or young adult deliberately starved himself in the midst of easily available food. I do not know why he was not instructed to take vitamins in the preceding years. Surely his malnourished state was apparent.

Cutting him a little slack, we don’t know if he has mental illness or is on the spectrum, or is neither. We don’t know if his parents battled with him about his eating, or were negligent. For me the take away is that extremely restricted diets that exclude fruits, protein and veggies are not healthy. And that some people can starve themselves because of severe issues.

I find it shocking, frankly.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/09/03/teen-g...r-years-study/

Apparently this teen had trouble with food textures, and he only ate french fries, white bread, and some processed meat. He was not fat. He complained of fatigue at some point, and was given shots of vitamins. He began to have vision and hearing problems. These problems are thought to be caused by a very poor diet.

I have heard of some children who are highly averse to eating foods with textures that bother them. I suppose in this country with many choices, kids have the luxury of hating some group of foods or other. I remember being put off by canned pineapple!
I'm really shocked. I've never heard of this. I've heard of rickets and things, but nothing like this. Hard to believe his parents allowed this. Maybe even making him drink a home made health drink daily would have been enough to keep him healthy.

No fruit. No vegetables at all. No whole grains. Strange.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like malnutrition, at least. Diabetes can cause blindness. You don't have to be overweight to get diabetes, either. IDK about the hearing problems, though. I wonder why parents would allow that. His food actually did have a variety of textures; he'd simply become addicted to those textures and flavors: salt and other chemical additives, etc.
No vegetables. No fruit. No whole grains. He was not eating most of the food groups.

Only white starchy foods and processed meats.

I'm surprised his growth wasn't stunted or he didn't get scurvy or rickets.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I knew a chap in England who had a pretty awful diet and rarely left the house. He got gallstones and jaundice in his mid 20s.
The television show Freaky Eaters was first broadcast on the BBC, and later made in to a US series.

Freaky Eaters (British TV programme) - Wikipedia

Freaky Eaters (American TV program) - Wikipedia

Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder - Wikipedia

In terms of getting help, the NHS in the UK will offer free treatment which includes eating disorder units, and there are numerous tyoes of support groups and I am sure there is similar help available in the US.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I knew a chap in England who had a pretty awful diet and rarely left the house. He got gallstones and jaundice in his mid 20s.
But that is not the same as going blind.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Not really. Vegetables contain vitamins like folate, vitamin C, vitamin K1, and potassium, not to mention antioxidants. Most of those you can't get from animal foods (apart from liver, which contains some folate and vitamin C).
Of course you are 100& correct. Yes, both fruits and veggies contain a lot of water, but they also provide us with almost all the vitamins and nutrients we need. How do people think vegetarians stay healthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink