Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 07:50 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

Jalapenos are hit or miss for me. I've had some meal with them I have liked and other times I think the jalapenos taste horrible or are overpowering. I've made a few dishes like jalapeno poppers that I think are fine. I prefer other types of peppers. We lived in New Mexico for a few years and I grew to love Hatch chiles. My top heat level is medium. I like the flavor and don't find the heat overpowering. Jalapenos vary in heat and flavor just like green chiles. IMO, they are a less desirable tasting pepper so I don't eat them very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 08:10 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
What???!!! Cilantro! I grow it and tomatoes and my fresh pico de gallo is to die for.

Poppers are great out of the freezer in a craving mood...same with jalapeno pizza. Every once in awhile I get a few really hot jalapenos, but they're nothing compared to--

Once upon a time in Mexico....
So I pick up some good stuff to eat off the buffet at an all inclusive, and sit down and pop this beautiful yellow pepper in my mouth...looks at new husband and whispers because I couldn't speak any louder than that--You gotta try these!
So he looks askew at me a bit because he's getting to know me...the trust is wisely already starting to deteriorate...
takes a tiny bite off the bottom of one from my plate...
immediately steals my rum and coke since his glass is empty!
The next ten minutes I'm looking around wondering why everybody is acting so normal, can't everyone see I need an ambulance? I have nothing to drink...(not that anything but milk would help)
About 15 minutes later I'm pretty sure I'm going to live...
So new hubby learned not to trust me, and I learned that new hubby would always save his own life before mine...
Never eat those peppers with the skull and crossbones sign next to them...habaneros, mmm!
I make a salsa called Xni Pec (schnee pic) that uses up to 8 habeneros. It means "dog's nose" in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. Though it can be quite spicy if not used sparingly, it has a great fruity flavor.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:34 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I make a salsa called Xni Pec (schnee pic) that uses up to 8 habeneros. It means "dog's nose" in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. Though it can be quite spicy if not used sparingly, it has a great fruity flavor.
Pico de gallo with habaneros, I've probably had it and didn't know the name, as I've been to the Yucatan 20 times or so. I see that soaking the habaneros removes a lot of the capsicum, interesting!

Old 05-30-2021, 09:30 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
My husband and I both love jalapenos but I absolutely know they aren't for everybody. I'm the only one in my biological family that likes them. I'm surprised you are having trouble finding things without them - we usually find the opposite, that pre-made things are too bland. I've never actually tried guacamole with jalapeños - now I want to make some and add some jalapenos to try it!

Old 05-30-2021, 11:08 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Pico de gallo with habaneros, I've probably had it and didn't know the name, as I've been to the Yucatan 20 times or so. I see that soaking the habaneros removes a lot of the capsicum, interesting!
Gardeners withhold water shortly before harvest to increase the heat.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:36 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
My husband and I both love jalapenos but I absolutely know they aren't for everybody. I'm the only one in my biological family that likes them. I'm surprised you are having trouble finding things without them - we usually find the opposite, that pre-made things are too bland. I've never actually tried guacamole with jalapeños - now I want to make some and add some jalapenos to try it!
My husband has from time to time dropped a jalapeño or two in his beer.

I'll eat certain cheeses with it, My hubby picked up some sliced cheese with hot peppers in it. I broke a small end off a slice and oh, was that spicy. He told me that he picked up some from the deli stand that had habañero peppers in it. Next time, I won't be so quick to pop that sliced cheese in my mouth without taking more time to look at the label.

I was contemplating getting a jalapeño plant the other day - for Mr C. I didn't have much luck with growing them the 2nd time around. Come to think of it, my 1st time wasn't all that great either. Instead, I picked up a hybrid tomato plant and a sweet pepper plant. I'd like to get a berry plant too. Haven't had much outdoor time this week. Will try for this coming Monday. Weather looks a bit more promising - crossing my fingers.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:38 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
My husband has from time to time dropped a jalapeño or two in his beer.

I'll eat certain cheeses with it, My hubby picked up some sliced cheese with hot peppers in it. I broke a small end off a slice and oh, was that spicy. He told me that he picked up some from the deli stand that had habañero peppers in it. Next time, I won't be so quick to pop that sliced cheese in my mouth without taking more time to look at the label.

I was contemplating getting a jalapeño plant the other day - for Mr C. I didn't have much luck with growing them the 2nd time around. Come to think of it, my 1st time wasn't all that great either. Instead, I picked up a hybrid tomato plant and a sweet pepper plant. I'd like to get a berry plant too. Haven't had much outdoor time this week. Will try for this coming Monday. Weather looks a bit more promising - crossing my fingers.
There is a beer, called Cave Creek Chili Beer, that has a Serrano in every bottle. If you slam a cold one on a hot day It is very refreshing! But then the heat from that Serrano starts to build in the back of your throat, interesting.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:28 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
What???!!! Cilantro! I grow it and tomatoes and my fresh pico de gallo is to die for.
Cilantro tastes terrible to some people. It's genetic.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-...coriander.html

Old 05-30-2021, 05:46 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Jalapenos are hit or miss for me. I've had some meal with them I have liked and other times I think the jalapenos taste horrible or are overpowering. I've made a few dishes like jalapeno poppers that I think are fine. I prefer other types of peppers. We lived in New Mexico for a few years and I grew to love Hatch chiles. My top heat level is medium. I like the flavor and don't find the heat overpowering. Jalapenos vary in heat and flavor just like green chiles. IMO, they are a less desirable tasting pepper so I don't eat them very much.
The heat definitely varies. I once got poppers at a restaurant that were too hot for me to eat. I'm not crazy about them, either.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Gardeners withhold water shortly before harvest to increase the heat.
Also, early season jalapenos are milder. The later in the season and hotter the weather the spicier they become. Some fully formed jalapenos early in the season can be as mild as a bell pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink