Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 10:03 AM

14,419 posts, read 11,867,791 times

Advertisements

Learn something new every day! I like eggnog, but a vanilla flavored sweetened custard drink doesn't sound immediately appealing. Does it taste like melted ice cream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 10:14 AM

22,103 posts, read 13,217,402 times
Tastes like...meh. Not surprised there was so much left after the eggnog sold out! Adding rum and hoping for the best.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-01-2022 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-01-2022, 12:20 PM

20,885 posts, read 8,699,048 times
Try Trader Joe's Eggnog Liqueur
I wonder if boiled custard is like British pouring custard. They sell this mix

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/...d&gclsrc=3p.ds

Old 01-01-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Learn something new every day! I like eggnog, but a vanilla flavored sweetened custard drink doesn't sound immediately appealing. Does it taste like melted ice cream?
I guess it tastes like melted frozen custard (like Culver's), which isn't a BAD thing. I just so much prefer eggnog!

Old 01-01-2022, 03:13 PM

17,608 posts, read 16,756,511 times
Have you tried looking in the liquor store for spiked eggnog?

Old 01-01-2022, 03:20 PM

I actually prefer it NOT spiked.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,130,980 times
How can a store run out of eggnog? It's a carton of eggs, a box of milk, a carton of whipping cream, some sugar and a few spices.

Take six egg yolks, crack them into a bowl. Add about a quarter to a half cup of sugar and beat them until they are light yellow. (I prefer the quarter cup sugar, most North American desserts are way too sweet).

Set that aside and then put two cups of milk and one cup of the sweet whipping cream along with about a half teaspoon of nutmeg, a dash of vanilla or part of a vanilla bean (take that out later if you use the whole bean) and a bit of salt (just a pinch) into a sauce pan. Medium to medium high heat, bring it to a bare simmer whisking while you do.

Then whisk about a quarter cup of the hot mix into the blended egg mix. Do it again and keep adding the hot mix until most of it is in with the eggs, then pour it all back into the pan and bring it back up to a simmer or until it thickens just a little. Around 160 degrees if you're using a thermometer.

Then put it in a covered pitcher in the 'fridge and let it cool. You can whip the egg whites with some sugar or whip the rest of the whipping cream to put on top of the eggnog. Also, if it gets too thick, whip in some milk to thin it down. Add a bit of cinnamon when serving if you like.

If you make it yourself, you can have eggnog when ever you want.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,981,298 times
Heavy cream has been out of stock in many of the grocery stores for quite a while. Wonder if that has something to do with the eggnog shortage?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Heavy cream has been out of stock in many of the grocery stores for quite a while. Wonder if that has something to do with the eggnog shortage?
I don't think there's a "shortage" at my grocery store, but -- like the Little Debbie Christmas cakes -- it's a seasonal and limited edition item that they stock only so many of and don't reorder more. Granted, their supply SHOULD last through the holidays, but they obviously underestimated. And boiled custard also contains heavy cream, so...

Old 01-02-2022, 10:39 AM

17,608 posts, read 16,756,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
How can a store run out of eggnog? It's a carton of eggs, a box of milk, a carton of whipping cream, some sugar and a few spices.

Take six egg yolks, crack them into a bowl. Add about a quarter to a half cup of sugar and beat them until they are light yellow. (I prefer the quarter cup sugar, most North American desserts are way too sweet).

Set that aside and then put two cups of milk and one cup of the sweet whipping cream along with about a half teaspoon of nutmeg, a dash of vanilla or part of a vanilla bean (take that out later if you use the whole bean) and a bit of salt (just a pinch) into a sauce pan. Medium to medium high heat, bring it to a bare simmer whisking while you do.

Then whisk about a quarter cup of the hot mix into the blended egg mix. Do it again and keep adding the hot mix until most of it is in with the eggs, then pour it all back into the pan and bring it back up to a simmer or until it thickens just a little. Around 160 degrees if you're using a thermometer.

Then put it in a covered pitcher in the 'fridge and let it cool. You can whip the egg whites with some sugar or whip the rest of the whipping cream to put on top of the eggnog. Also, if it gets too thick, whip in some milk to thin it down. Add a bit of cinnamon when serving if you like.

If you make it yourself, you can have eggnog when ever you want.
This sounds like an absolutely delicious solution to the Op's quest for eggnog. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink