Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 12:16 PM

2,254 posts, read 1,353,361 times

Advertisements

You can actually order "skin" or "cartilage" in an Izakaya
https://images.app.goo.gl/e1dvw3ggDYPF5yoe9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 12:18 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,732,466 times
If you're going to eat meat, you're going to find various anatomical components on your fork. It comes with the territory. There's no practical way to eliminate all cartilage especially from something like cooked chicken where the muscles are very small and there's lots and lots of bones.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:10 PM

19,849 posts, read 22,754,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Cartilage has collagen which gives you better hair, nails, and skin. Eating white meat is the reason why Americans age so quickly because they eat diet high in protein but lacking in collagen. This is why Asians typically look younger because they eat foods that are high in collagen.
Chicken feet! Used to eat 'em at on place.

That collagen is great for braising. I just cooked two wild turkey legs and thighs in a crockpot anthe the broth is too die for.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:27 PM

3,538 posts, read 6,548,631 times
I talked with the restaurant and they said they get their chicken from some factory with no bones.

(I don't mean the factory has no bones.)

Is that what most restaurants do? Some place kills the chickens and cuts off the head, and then send it to restaurants?
Or does the place chop up the chicken also?

Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
Not a big deal … make like you cough in your napkin and spit it out

If using raw chicken tenders, or particularly boneless thighs .. their can be cartilage
That needs to be taken off….
Most places are still trying to find good employees, including the meat industry…
And yes the chef and prep cooks should have seen the cartilage and cut off… but
Restaurants are having a challenge getting employees too and if one person calls out..
puts all the pressure on others ..

I thawed a frozen Turkey a couple weeks ago
And pulled out more than giblets… someone put his head
In there too… years ago I found the same thing at work and tied the
Head to the bosses car antenna… ( back when we could take a joke)

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

8,797 posts, read 5,094,304 times
Yes....collagen is very good for you. Rooster collagen is good for arthritis. How much cartilage would you have to eat to get any benefit from it.......I would rather take supplements, or shots.
Trying to eat a meal in a restaurant, spitting into your napkin, not even sure what your spitting or swallowing is not enjoyable IMO....especially at the prices today.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,732,466 times
I rather doubt you can increase collagen in the places where collagen is needed, by eating it. The 14M hydrochloric acid in your stomach is going to break it down, then it'll be metabolized. The body makes collagen from its raw materials.

But all that aside, frankly I think some of the people who freak out when eating parts of an animal and finding parts of an animal, ought to take a deep breath and get a grip on what it is they're doing.

As Kurt Weill said, "Mankind is kept alive by BESTIAL ACTS".

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times
I get the cartilage is good for us but to me it's nasty and chewy and makes me gag. Sorry.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,464,342 times
Serving unwanted parts of the meat in a meat dish is sloppy prep work in my kitchen. Know your diner's tastes?

I suppose, to be generous, we could note the volume of food that has to be processed by a busy restaurant and perhaps understaffed kitchen. The fact that the food is ethnic also allows for variety.

Remember that in parts of Asia slurping soup is a compliment to the chef as is a burp after a meal and try not to worry about removing parts you'd rather not eat.

The most important part of table etiquette, I think, is to not call attention to what you don't like and praising what you do like. That should make up for any possible faux pas.

My favorite Asian restaurant in Denver back in the Seventies was a sailor's den of iniquity in Aurora. A decade of dust mixed with grease layered every surface. Prices were cheap and the food was bountiful, unique and heavenly. My rule for enjoying their treats was, "Don't look right or left, chow down quietly and leave safe and happy."

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

24,683 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I talked with the restaurant and they said they get their chicken from some factory with no bones.

(I don't mean the factory has no bones.)

Is that what most restaurants do? Some place kills the chickens and cuts off the head, and then send it to restaurants?
Or does the place chop up the chicken also?
How many restaurants in your area have a pen and a butcher shop in the back?
How do you get your chicken at the grocery store? Head chopped off or plucked, gutted and often pre cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink